• ...and so much more!
  • billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I just received a large order of .45acp. military brass. I have processed some military brass here and there but not 2500 at a time before.
    I am about 1/2 way through decap/inspect/sewage primer pockets. The brass looks good even though a lot of it was made before I was born. Have a lot of WCC 53 in the mix.
    How many of you process military brass in large volumes?:dunno:

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    The only military brass I have reloaded has been few hundred L.C. brass for .223 some dated in the 70's, I also pulled some .30-06 rounds that would not fire and reworked them they were dated in the 40's, if I remember correctly, must have been the primer powder looked good.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Between my cousin, brother, and I We have probably done close to 10,000 if not more in the last couple of years. 9mm, 45, 223, 308, 30 carbine, and 30-06.
    The good news is when your done with the primer pockets you'll never have to do those cases again.

22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    Is there a point where surplus military brass is not usable? Is it OK if there are no visible cracks or other issues? I have some 8mm Mauser with 47 on the bottom. Does that mean it's from just after WWII?

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Is there a point where surplus military brass is not usable? Is it OK if there are no visible cracks or other issues? I have some 8mm Mauser with 47 on the bottom. Does that mean it's from just after WWII?
    Yes on the date, and yes you can use it until you feel it is unsafe. I just reloaded some 35 year old .308.

22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    I suppose I would not find it unsafe until I could see visible cracks. I had some that split out while it was being stored. Needless to say, I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder on those.

jbrittin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    I just did 5000 .223 cases. The worst part is definitely swaging the cases. I'm thinking of buying a Dillon Super Swager, but just can't bear to spend 120$ on a little plastic tool...

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Dillon Super Swage isn't a 'small plastic tool." The thing is longer than your forearm. And it works.

If you have a single stage, get yourself an RCBS Pocket Swager set. Cheap and easy.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    OK, maybe "small plastic tool" is a bit of an exaggeration, but come on... $120 for it? I guess they can charge a ridiculous amount for something as long as it's the only game in town that actually works well. I also have an RCBS pocket swager set, and it works OK, but is pretty slow on my Lee single stage press.

list price is $97 and it works great.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I just did 5000 .223 cases. The worst part is definitely swaging the cases. I'm thinking of buying a Dillon Super Swager, but just can't bear to spend 120$ on a little plastic tool...
    :rolleyes: There is no plastic in it. Since you speak without knowledge, suffer as you will.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Their good as new!!

Well I got them all done-Actually in about 4-5hrs. total.
    I used my old RockChucker and the RCBS swage tool kit.
    I am going to keep my eye out for a used Dillon Super Swager, to use in the future.
    BTW, I think the one poster was thinking Lee products when he was thinking PLASTIC....:dunno:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I process a lot of military .223 / 5.56 MM brass to keep all of my AR-15's fed. The Dillon 600 Super Swage is a "must have" tool for this as far as I'm concerned. It is a quality tool that will last a lifetime, and is quick to set up and use.

Another quality tool that I also feel is a "must have" is my Giraud Powered Case Trimmer. This tool while expensive, is invaluable in processing large amounts of military and commercial brass. It trims the case to the exact minimum overall length, and at the same time installs a nice chamfer on the inside of the case mouth and also breaks the burr on the outside of the case as well. This is why I find it to be superior to the Dillon powered unit that mounts on top of the resizing die on the press itself. The Dillon unit leaves a burr that must be removed in yet another operation. The Giraud unit is also easy and super fast to use. This video shows it trimming 10 cases in a minute. I can easily double that rate by keeping everything organized and minimizing motion. As you can see it works like an electric pencil sharpener. It sets off the shoulder of the case itself, and easily holds + - .002 accuracy. It works in the horizontal or the vertical position. Bill T.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0"]YouTube - Giraud Tool Company Power Trimmer[/ame]

Top Bottom