• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I like Mike Rowe. I like Walmart, too. And the two teamed up in a commercial that aired during the Olympics to tell consumers about a great new initiative that Walmart is engaging in to purchase $250 Billion of American made products over the next decade. That's a great thing! And will mean more manufacturing jobs brought home and new businesses sprouting up. More jobs. This would presumably be something any rational person would get behind, but that's not the case. Mike's received numerous hate mails because he supports bringing about new American jobs through this initiative. The haters gonna hate, I guess. In the meantime, I'll support Walmart and their quarter of a trillion dollar jobs initiative.

Go here to read Mike's responses and explanation of what it's all about.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/posts/739123932764419:0

Here's the commercial:

[video=youtube_share;7OQcoDQq3-o]http://youtu.be/7OQcoDQq3-o[/video]

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I don't believe in their sincerity.

If this really works, then I'll be perfectly happy to reverse my longtime position on Wal-mart. As of now, I don't shop Wal-Mart because I don't enjoy my hard earned money going to communists.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't believe in their sincerity.

If this really works, then I'll be perfectly happy to reverse my longtime position on Wal-mart. As of now, I don't shop Wal-Mart because I don't enjoy my hard earned money going to communists.
    Then you better give up shopping everywhere and get your butt off your communist built computer and modem. Get rid of your "American" car, too. Loads of commie stuff in there. I'll trust Walmart to do what they say they're going to, because all eyes will be on them and they actually do a lot of good in this country. Not that many people can see past their nose to that.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What reason would anyone have to send hate mail for saying they're going to sell American goods? I fully support this initiative.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Then you better give up shopping everywhere and get your butt off your communist built computer and modem. Get rid of your "American" car, too. Loads of commie stuff in there. I'll trust Walmart to do what they say they're going to, because all eyes will be on them and they actually do a lot of good in this country. Not that many people can see past their nose to that.

This is certainly a fair point. I own and operate a 2000 Chevy Silverado. I don't know exactly how much, but I know for a fact it's not 100% American made. I don't even have to look up my computer to know it was manufactured in China. My Iphone and Xbox too, were all manufactured in China.

This doesn't change the fact that many products I use AREN'T made in China. The point is, do your best to buy American. This means many things, including buying products from China when similar products simply aren't manufactured in the US. The point stands however, that Walmart doesn't "do good" for this country.

- Underpaying their employees
    - Price gouging

These two points are subjective. I would never attempt to legislate this problem, as it would only get in the way of honest business. Instead, I spend my money elsewhere when possible.

- Between 2001 and 2006, Walmart accounted for aprox. 9.3% of all Chinese imports. This accounts for about 130,000 lost manufacturing jobs in this period.
    - Extreme Tax subsidies

Again, I'm not waging a war here. I don't shop at Wal-Mart ever but I do buy products that come from China. With a little research and determination, however, it was rather easy to avoid the bulk of Chinese manufactured items.

Wal-Mart is also notorious for treating their employees like ****. They have been the target of the largest discrimination suit against women in corporate history, as well as paying their employees basically nothing in most states and assisting in propping up the welfare state due to this fact. (Wal-mart is the largest employer in over 25 states)

Again, I would not seek legislation for any of these issues. I would, however, advise shopping elsewhere if possible. Obviously the financial security of your family comes first.

I realize this post would be far more effective if my bullet points were sourced, but meh. Do the research yourself. (Not attempting to insult the OP, simply providing a "hopefully" reasonable excuse for my laziness) Again, I am not a perfect consumer, but to ignore the damage that Wal-Mart has done IN THE PAST is IMO unwise.

If Wal-Mart really does bring back manufacturing jobs, I would be happy to change my tune. I await the results of this initiative :)

Last edited:

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    If most Americans didn't think they were worth $30 an hour some of those jobs may have never left the US

This somewhat ties into my post.

Wal-Mart pays their employees minimum wage in most states to start. I see nothing wrong with this, it takes no skills to get the job and so minimum wage is just. They receive raises very rarely. I personally think if someone works a job, and shows quality performance, they should get a raise that isn't an insult.

Again, I wouldn't legislate these problems. Wal-Mart is a private organization, so they should pay their employees what they want. I personally disagree with how this is handled, so I simply show elsewhere.

Edit: I am a fast food worker. I currently work about 45 hours a week in fast food and make about 8.25/hr after a few raises. My wife doesn't work fast food but she makes about the same. I'm perfectly happy with this amount. It allows me (and my wife, with a similar income) to afford our own place, save for the future, and most importantly save for/attend school. A minimum wage of over 10/hr, as recommended by many fast food unions, is asinine. The difference between Wal-Mart and my company is that my company offers overtime, regular raises ( I had 4 this year) and Insurance that isn't a complete joke. I also have regular contact with upper management and they consistently sit me down and ask my opinion on our individual store and corporation as a whole. I have 2 family members who work at Wal-Mart, one of which is a retired Combat Veteran (Marines). He is not treated with respect, like I am IMO, simple as that.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I heard Beck talking about this today. This was the first I heard about the Walmart initiative...what is it exactly? I guess I could Google it but for the sake of conversation, what does Walmart plan to do with their $250B?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Walmart does not underpay their employees. They actually pay a decent, if low wage and the workers have the choice to accept it or work elsewhere. No-one Shanghai's anyone to work there. I've talked to many employees of Walmart, both my local one and one's I've been in elsewhere and they've all told me they like their jobs and are happy where they're at. If they didn't they'd be working elsewhere (or unemployed). Walmart employs many people who would be hard pressed to find a job elsewhere and pays them a decent wage for it. Average wage for a Walmart worker is, according to the reports, $11.75/hr. While that may be lower than some retailers, it certainly isn't a bad wage for what they do.
    Price gouging? That's ludicrous on its face. Walmart's prices are equal to or less than most other places for the same thing. They are meticulous in keeping track of that and they will, if a lower price is around, match it. They even keep racks of their competitors adds in their stores so customers have easy access to price match.

An AMerican corporation takes advantage of the tax code? The deuce you say? Find me one that doesn't. Especially here in Indiana. I'm not going to fault anyone for legally reducing their tax burden. It would be foolish not to. I've looked at the anti-Walmart nonsense out there. It is what it is and most of it is union inspired bull****. I'll take $250 Billion in American jobs over the mindless hate anyday. Walmart does a lot for local communities and organisations. More than many companies do. Who beat FEMA to New Orleans? That's right. Walmart. Just as they do to many disasters.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I heard Beck talking about this today. This was the first I heard about the Walmart initiative...what is it exactly? I guess I could Google it but for the sake of conversation, what does Walmart plan to do with their $250B?
    Read the link above, GFGT. Mike Rowe explains it pretty well. They're committing to buying $250 Billion in American made products. That means jobs. Flat out.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012

I'm neutral on this pledge (i.e.-great if it is honest but not convinced based solely on a commercial). So far, from what I can tell, Walmart has produced a promotional commercial that has few details. To me, it looks like carefully-crafted corporate speech so it will need to be backed by either more specifics or action.

For instance, what does it mean to put $250 Billion "to work" over ten years? This does not seem to mean that Walmart will directly spend this much since it's own website only commits to a direct pledge of $50 Billion over ten years. Is the remaining $200 Billion the amount that Walmart expect American companies will put "to work" to increase their manufacturing?

Walmart also does not specify what "American products" are. It's website claims that 2/3 of what it spends to buy inventory is already for products "made here, sourced here, or grown here." First, how is "made here" different from "sourced here"? Can a Chinese-made product be "sourced here" if a U.S. company fills Walmart's inventory order by delivering foreign-made goods? Second, "grown here" seems to imply that Walmart is including grocery products in the total. If so, this is disingenuous as Walmart has made clear that it plans massive growth in its grocery operations which only shifts U.S.-grown grocery purchases from existing grocery stores to Walmart.

Remember, there is no such thing as a benevolent corporation and corporations choose their words as carefully as the NSA and politicians. So, Walmart will not be getting any of my Goodwill until they fulfill their pledge in an honest manner. Rallying behind a self-serving marketing campaign seems foolish without more details and action. Especially when the messenger is the corporation that played a key role in the decline of American manufacturing in the first place.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Walmart does not underpay their employees. They actually pay a decent, if low wage and the workers have the choice to accept it or work elsewhere. No-one Shanghai's anyone to work there. I've talked to many employees of Walmart, both my local one and one's I've been in elsewhere and they've all told me they like their jobs and are happy where they're at. If they didn't they'd be working elsewhere (or unemployed). Walmart employs many people who would be hard pressed to find a job elsewhere and pays them a decent wage for it. Average wage for a Walmart worker is, according to the reports, $11.75/hr. While that may be lower than some retailers, it certainly isn't a bad wage for what they do.
    Price gouging? That's ludicrous on its face. Walmart's prices are equal to or less than most other places for the same thing. They are meticulous in keeping track of that and they will, if a lower price is around, match it. They even keep racks of their competitors adds in their stores so customers have easy access to price match.

An AMerican corporation takes advantage of the tax code? The deuce you say? Find me one that doesn't. Especially here in Indiana. I'm not going to fault anyone for legally reducing their tax burden. It would be foolish not to. I've looked at the anti-Walmart nonsense out there. It is what it is and most of it is union inspired bull****. I'll take $250 Billion in American jobs over the mindless hate anyday. Walmart does a lot for local communities and organisations. More than many companies do. Who beat FEMA to New Orleans? That's right. Walmart. Just as they do to many disasters.
    :+1: Outta rep

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This is certainly a fair point. I own and operate a 2000 Chevy Silverado. I don't know exactly how much, but I know for a fact it's not 100% American made. I don't even have to look up my computer to know it was manufactured in China. My Iphone and Xbox too, were all manufactured in China.

This doesn't change the fact that many products I use AREN'T made in China. The point is, do your best to buy American. This means many things, including buying products from China when similar products simply aren't manufactured in the US. The point stands however, that Walmart doesn't "do good" for this country.

- Underpaying their employees
    - Price gouging

These two points are subjective. I would never attempt to legislate this problem, as it would only get in the way of honest business. Instead, I spend my money elsewhere when possible.

- Between 2001 and 2006, Walmart accounted for aprox. 9.3% of all Chinese imports. This accounts for about 130,000 lost manufacturing jobs in this period.
    - Extreme Tax subsidies

Again, I'm not waging a war here. I don't shop at Wal-Mart ever but I do buy products that come from China. With a little research and determination, however, it was rather easy to avoid the bulk of Chinese manufactured items.

Wal-Mart is also notorious for treating their employees like ****. They have been the target of the largest discrimination suit against women in corporate history, as well as paying their employees basically nothing in most states and assisting in propping up the welfare state due to this fact. (Wal-mart is the largest employer in over 25 states)

Again, I would not seek legislation for any of these issues. I would, however, advise shopping elsewhere if possible. Obviously the financial security of your family comes first.

I realize this post would be far more effective if my bullet points were sourced, but meh. Do the research yourself. (Not attempting to insult the OP, simply providing a "hopefully" reasonable excuse for my laziness) Again, I am not a perfect consumer, but to ignore the damage that Wal-Mart has done IN THE PAST is IMO unwise.

If Wal-Mart really does bring back manufacturing jobs, I would be happy to change my tune. I await the results of this initiative :)

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand how often I agree with mrjarrell, but he's right on the money with this.

Wal-mart doesn't "underpay" their employees. Their pay is comparable to other warehouse outlets.

Wal-mart doesn't price gouge that I've ever seen. Why do you suppose the damned stores are always full of people? It's not because they don't have anywhere else to go shopping! And have you figured out that there isn't a Wal-mart anywhere near Keystone at the Crossing? People who have bucks to burn don't shop the bargains at Wal-mart, but there are plenty of folks who do.

Are you pissed because Wal-mart stores are ubiquitous? Wish we'd had them in rural Indiana when I was stuck there during summer vacations when I was a kid.

Do you think they're running off "mom and pop" stores? Sorry about that. So are Discount Tire, Target, COSTCO, the Tire Barn, and many other retail outlets. We aren't the area-restricted population we were when the "mom and pop" stores were plentiful and didn't have a bunch of competition.

Manufacturing jobs have left this country because the economic climate and the tax structure makes it more financially responsible to move manufacturing to where costs are less. Yeah, it's unpatriotic and it's not a great strategic move, but it's the way our governments have laid out the ground rules. Make the manufacturing climate more promising back here and manufacturing jobs will return. That's not Wal-mart's fault, nor is it their problem. Their business plan is to provide merchandise at low prices by buying it in volume - any retailer with the economic clout to do the same will have the same success.

So transfer your ire to the governments who are exacerbating the problems in the manufacturing community in this country, rather than venting it on retailers who are trying to make a profit on millions of sales to people like you and me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He's good a couple of good sound bites in that Facebook link.

Size might matter in some pursuits, (I’ve been assured it does,) but in business, there’s nothing inherently good about being small, and nothing inherently bad about being big.

But, maybe they will? Maybe they’ll all get on board? Target, Best Buy, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Dollar General, Home Depot, Lowe’s...maybe they’ll all make similar commitments to American manufacturing? And maybe Americans will finally make it easy by demanding and buying more American made products. So far - that hasn’t happened. Maybe Walmart will break the logjam. Someone has to at least try, don’t you think?

It's not so much that too many Americans think they're worth $30/hour as it is that they think the other guy isn't. In our pursuit of our self-interests, the cheaper widget, we've done this to ourselves.

Only knowing what I've read and heard today, I gotta agree with Mike. Let's see what they do and let's encourage them and hold them to their promises.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    If most Americans didn't think they were worth $30 an hour some of those jobs may have never left the US

And before the Civil War, people could have obtained jobs picking cotton so long as you could do it cheaper than a slave. Point being, comparing hourly wages between China and the U.S. is not inherently fair. Most people who think it is fair tend to have jobs that are not easily outsourced overseas. But many also tend to be complainers about the illegal immigrants who are stealing U.S. jobs by being willing to work for cheap.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's one of the people working for a company in the initiative. Sounds like they're serious. Even about something as simple as flip flops.

I work for one of the companies that Walmart has recently started buying from as part of this initiative. We make flip flops here in Georgia. Walmart is serious about making sure everything is really made here, not imported it just assembled in the US. It's great and I hope more big retailers follow suit!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I work for Walmart. Not at the store but a pharmacy DC. I get paid better than most local factories and other warehouses. I have great hours and I love my job. Walmart is made up of many different divisions so if you want to get paid better look to transfer to a different area. We have been hearing about the US jobs initiative for a while now.

Oh and for people who don't want to buy foreign made goods check your meds. Many drugs are foreign manufacturered and just repackaged in the US. One of the largest is in Israel. Plus I have seen Austria, Croatia, Japan for diabetic test strips, and some others I can't think of at the moment.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm neutral on this pledge (i.e.-great if it is honest but not convinced based solely on a commercial). So far, from what I can tell, Walmart has produced a promotional commercial that has few details. To me, it looks like carefully-crafted corporate speech so it will need to be backed by either more specifics or action.

For instance, what does it mean to put $250 Billion "to work" over ten years? This does not seem to mean that Walmart will directly spend this much since it's own website only commits to a direct pledge of $50 Billion over ten years. Is the remaining $200 Billion the amount that Walmart expect American companies will put "to work" to increase their manufacturing?

Walmart also does not specify what "American products" are. It's website claims that 2/3 of what it spends to buy inventory is already for products "made here, sourced here, or grown here." First, how is "made here" different from "sourced here"? Can a Chinese-made product be "sourced here" if a U.S. company fills Walmart's inventory order by delivering foreign-made goods? Second, "grown here" seems to imply that Walmart is including grocery products in the total. If so, this is disingenuous as Walmart has made clear that it plans massive growth in its grocery operations which only shifts U.S.-grown grocery purchases from existing grocery stores to Walmart.

Remember, there is no such thing as a benevolent corporation and corporations choose their words as carefully as the NSA and politicians. So, Walmart will not be getting any of my Goodwill until they fulfill their pledge in an honest manner. Rallying behind a self-serving marketing campaign seems foolish without more details and action. Especially when the messenger is the corporation that played a key role in the decline of American manufacturing in the first place.

Nailed it.

Wave the flag, buy some Chinese goods.

Top Bottom