• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Maybe not if he wields it when he could have avoided it in the first place? :dunno:
    Putting your child on the first floor when you are on the second, where you are forced to "clear rooms" to get to them is a less than "manly" mentality. Training over tools. ;)

Dude's not thinking ahead either. That arrangement is going to make it waaay too easy for her to sneak out when she's a teen. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wont disagree with your statment. Its not ideal. Up front planning to avoid the situation always beats training to deal with the situation. However, if we could structure our lives to avoid all of these situatoins we would not need firearms or training at all. Do/did you sleep in your kids room every night just in case of fire?
    My kids are your age now. ;) I learned to sleep where I could get to them before anything that might harm them would.
    I don't have your training experience, but my trainers have all instructed that house clearing is a recipe for disaster. I much prefer to light up intruders big time in the yard.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Mike is a friend,
    he is a former action guy with a impecible record of things done for this country in many arena's of his service
    he has also used a shotgun more than many i know, in many countries to great effect..

he cant put everything out he is a great trainer and great human to boot and has my highest respect....

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Mike is a friend,
    he is a former action guy with a impecible record of things done for this country in many arena's of his service
    he has also used a shotgun more than many i know, in many countries to great effect..

he cant put everything out he is a great trainer and great human to boot and has my highest respect....

And he's got the beard to prove it...

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I wish guys would get over the beard ****
    I have taught with a beard no beard and a goatee and full mountian man beard who cares

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish guys would get over the beard ****
    I have taught with a beard no beard and a goatee and full mountian man beard who cares

I think you are prettiest in pink with the circle beard:
    tumblr_m4n2rspz6v1qzibzio1_1280.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Lights . . . .

[video=youtube;AZFSwho5PuY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZFSwho5PuY[/video]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here are some older videos from the same series where Mike covers other aspects of the fighting shotgun.

[video=youtube;jCx9oPEg0qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCx9oPEg0qg[/video]

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Mike is a friend,

That's not likely good enough for the internet. <Purple I think he does a good job and watch him often on the "Trigger time TV" show. I don't agree about the Velcro sidesaddle strips and prefer the hard attached sidesaddle. If you notice in one of his episodes he looses a round of ammo during a reload. I am not opposed to a handgun but I feel very comfortable with a shotgun to check "That strange noise".

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I have busted every sidesaddle know to man
    and seen way more dead in classes and some even locking up guns

the reason the round was lost is it was placed to high in the velcro

I have seen rounds come out of mesa and tac stars which break more than i care to count... i run the ares raven rig and 3 gun gear the 3 gun ge

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I don't have time to watch all of the videos on this thread right now, but I am curious about "cruiser ready." Does he ever say why he prefers to rack the slide first instead of keeping one in the pipe and the safety on? I would much rather have the first (and last) sound an armed intruder hears be BANG, rather than telegraph my position by racking the slide.

Thoughts?

drobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Greenwood
    Until my family is definitely not making the "suspicious' noise, I don't like investigating with a shotgun.
    Once we are secure, racking the slide would be considered the first/last warning...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have busted every sidesaddle know to man
    and seen way more dead in classes and some even locking up guns

the reason the round was lost is it was placed to high in the velcro

I have seen rounds come out of mesa and tac stars which break more than i care to count... i run the ares raven rig and 3 gun gear the 3 gun ge

People who dismiss the better quality elastic loops tend to be people who don't have a lot of experience with either kind of gear. The rigid plastic shell carries not only break easily, but after a while if you use them (not just leave shells in them), they wear out and the shells start dropping left and right. I don't have any experience with the metal versions, but since the 3gungear elastic loops work so well, I don't have motivation to try it.

A well-known trainer dismissed all elastic loop gear as inadequate for "serious" use several times over three days I was in his class. During a break I privately tried to relate to him that not all of that type of gear is created equal and learned that he had literally no experience at all with any of the brands such as 3gungear, but wouldn't even consider taking a look. It took me a while to learn that sometimes I was wasting my breath and that good intentions plus actual facts don't matter much when someone already knows everything.

I don't have time to watch all of the videos on this thread right now, but I am curious about "cruiser ready." Does he ever say why he prefers to rack the slide first instead of keeping one in the pipe and the safety on? I would much rather have the first (and last) sound an armed intruder hears be BANG, rather than telegraph my position by racking the slide.

Thoughts?

I can't speak for Mr. Lamb, but most shotguns with which I am familiar do not have safeties that actually block the firing mechanism as on a 1911 or the internal safeties on a Glock. All they do is stop the trigger from moving. There is concern that impacts or vibrations might cause the shotgun to discharge if the chamber is loaded. I don't know how valid the concern is, but the trainers I know mostly advocate cruiser ready. It's how I keep my long guns that are ready for emergency use. The same goes for for my AR - fully charged magazine inserted, bolt forward, hammer down, safety off, chamber unloaded. Given the time frame of acquiring the long gun, I'm not that concerned about cycling the action to load it. If I were carrying it with me and relying on it as my primary weapon, I would probably go loaded, safety on, as I do with holstered pistols.

Top Bottom