• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin Linus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2013
    Anybody here know if the sales guys/girls at Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka get a commission or anything along those lines for the sales they make? I ask because, after a good amount of online research, I decided to check out the two firearms I'm trying to decide on, in person. The guy who helped me was patient and informative, listened to my concerns and even boring stories. I wasn't ready to buy that day, but I'm heading in there tomorrow or Tuesday to buy the one I decided on and wanted to make sure he got the credit for the sale, if he's there.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I could be wrong here, but I don't think they do. I assume they make a standard hourly wage. We have a member here that works there part time. Maybe he will chime in or IM with inside info.

It never hurts just to go back to that same guy anyway,then you know your bases are covered.

brownhornet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Mishawaka, IN
    I was in there about two months ago and talked to one of the guys behind the desk and he told me they do make commission but he said it was a pain in the ass. He told me since he was part time he hadn't hit the goal yet and the panic was dying down. I'm not a big fan of Midwest because of their prices but he was pretty cool (no pressure tactics/very helpful).

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I have purchased several firearms from Midwest, both the exchange and the range. I have found that the level of customer service there at the exchange in Mishawaka is better ( in respect to the overall attitude of the sales staff ), but I have never been mistreated. Whether or not they earn a commission, I am uncertain. I do know that sometimes they have wiggle room on their pricing; depending on the item and the current market (ie: Gunbroker, etc). They do their best to stay competitive, but in the end they ARE a business, and are there to make a profit. Personally speaking, I choose who gets my business by how I am treated as a potential customer. As such, I am always free to take my business wherever I want... If I don't like the prices, I am not obligated to buy. But the service level there, IMHO, is worth it. :twocents:

Benjamin Linus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2013
    I could be wrong here, but I don't think they do. I assume they make a standard hourly wage. We have a member here that works there part time. Maybe he will chime in or IM with inside info.

It never hurts just to go back to that same guy anyway,then you know your bases are covered.

Yeah, I'll definitely do that if he's there. But since I was there on Thursday, and plan on going back Monday, maybe Tuesday, I didn't know.

I like to give credit where credit is due. A lot of people these days are quick as ever to complain about bad service, but it seems not a lot are as quick to acknowledge good service. So when I get good service I like to go as far out of may way to acknowledge it as someone would to complain about bad service.

2 151 INF

Shooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Bend
    The special ordered a SA 1911 for Father's Day. They had told my wife a lower price than they could to. To make up for it they dropped they're normal price a lower price. Since they ordered it last minute no one at Midwest touched the gun at all. I have bought quite a few fire arms for them, and they are pretty cool.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They get commision. I have had issue with a certain employee that is a total ass. I have the best luck with Bob if he is still there. I have bought a lot from him. Over all, I don't rate the gun store very high. I try to find what I want elsewhere first.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Never ever EVER buy from MGE. Check out Indiana Defensive Firearms on Lincolnway West in Mishawaka. Better people, better prices.

You can get anything you can get at MGE at IDF for less. Plus $15 transfers.

Yeaht0ast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    South Bend, IN
    I have boughten a rifle from them, Bill peck was the one who sold it to me. Stand up guy, talked me off the fence with logical answers to all my dumb questions and rants. Super happy with the purchase. There's about 2 guys that I deal with, there cards are at home, that I usually try to talk with as well as they know there product. There's a few guys there that you can tell are just there for a pay check. I stay away from them unless I'm just getting ammo. I have bought a ton of ammo, 4 receivers direct, as wellas transfer about a half dozen assorted rifles, pistols, and receivers through them. Last time I had a receiver transferred, I complained about there high rate ($30) and that the last time I had something transferred it was $20 and it was bull as they were already making 3% over that as I was using my credit card. He gave me a discount and lowered the transfer rate.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    People there are hit and miss.. if you had a nice encounter.. stick with the guy. It will be a more favorable experience for you all around.

Oh.. and "boughten" == :noway:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Never ever EVER buy from MGE. Check out Indiana Defensive Firearms on Lincolnway West in Mishawaka. Better people, better prices.

You can get anything you can get at MGE at IDF for less. Plus $15 transfers.

:dunno: I Have driven from Indy just to buy from MWGE on a couple occasions. Never had a problem and they had the best price on the items I was looking for. I have always been treated with respect and given the level of assistance that was required. I don't get when people tell you "never ever, ever, buy from xyz" :twocents:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    No commission... I've asked several employees.

They may not have "commission" exactly, but I suspect they at least receive incentives based upon their sales volume and net gross profit. I have gotten this impression over the years from different staff members mentioning their numbers for the week & month as well as comments about purchases they were hoping to make with their bonus due to the great week they just had.

In addition, I believe they may have some tiers to their pricing in the system to simplify discount levels. Some of the more experience staff seem to be allowed to approve certain price tiers and other tier changes require management approval. Again, this is just inference from things I have heard and overheard while in the store.

Overall, I would not see tiered pricing combined with an aggregate bonus as a negative since, IMO, the approach can often help the sales staff achieve the balance needed between the customer's interests (find the right firearm for the right money) with the owner's interests (make money selling inventory) with less involvement from the management staff.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    No commission... I've asked several employees.

The guy I deal with said he makes something on the sale. I don't know how it is based but I doubt he would lie. And they are fast to hand out cards and ask that you come back to talk to them.

I see no issue with pay by preformance. I would incourage it! And have practiced it in my own carreer.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    :dunno: I Have driven from Indy just to buy from MWGE on a couple occasions. Never had a problem and they had the best price on the items I was looking for. I have always been treated with respect and given the level of assistance that was required. I don't get when people tell you "never ever, ever, buy from xyz" :twocents:

They're incredibly rude. Most of the old guys are gone now. The new employees don't seem to care much about helping customers. I quit shopping there a year ago.

Top Bottom