• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My mom moved to the middle of nowhere(Etna Green, Kosciusdkfjdiwhatever county) and can't get DSL or cable, her options are looking like cellular card(doubt anybody offers 3G out there) or satellite.

Pros/cons?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Check the area, there "may" be a local line of sight provider, unless you can hear banjos playing! I'm sorta out in the sticks but enough so that I only have dial up or hughesnet. One of the neighbors told me their bro is an internet provider and they use a line of sight, probably microwave, system. Any experts out there?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hughesnet (satellite) SUCKS

You have to agree to use only a certain amount of internets per......month(?) I believe, they basically shut it off on you. Nothing is more aggravating.

I guess if you just surfed the web a little and didn't listen to music, watch videos, or download any other type of file you would be OK with it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hughesnet (satellite) SUCKS

You have to agree to use only a certain amount of internets per......month(?) I believe, they basically shut it off on you. Nothing is more aggravating.

I guess if you just surfed the web a little and didn't listen to music, watch videos, or download any other type of file you would be OK with it.

The same thing with the carrier cards. You go over, they charge you big time. It can get expensive.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I use Rochester Telephone at the woods. Direct line kind of thing. I use the tower in Akron off the water tower.

We have no other option out there other then Dial up. Works better then Dial up.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Luckily my new house in the sticks can get DSL. I'm 5 miles from the nearest gas station but the local phone company is just 2 miles down the road.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My mom moved to the middle of nowhere(Etna Green, Kosciusdkfjdiwhatever county) and can't get DSL or cable, her options are looking like cellular card(doubt anybody offers 3G out there) or satellite.

Pros/cons?

Welcome back to dial up. My condolences.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan

Pros/cons?
    Have her call MapleNet Broadband at 866-728-7388 or Copper Wireless at 574-522-8038 to see if either of them provide it or can give recommendations. They are both line of sight providers.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    We switched from dial-up to Omnicity around six months ago. I LOVE it......No limits on download/uploads.......faster than DSL.......no contract..........and cheaper than i was paying for dial-up with an extra line.

I think we pay somewhere between $35-40 a month.

Broadband Internet Access for Rural Areas: Omnicity
    What do you mean, "faster than DSL"? DSL has many speeds ranging from under 1Mb up to 15 or 20 Mb in some cases.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I can't remember the speeds right off the top of my head, but i'll look when i get home. My father has att yahoo basic dsl, we both went to speed test and omnicity's basic backage was cheaper, three times faster on the upload, and twice as fast on the download.

Their website use to tell the speeds, but they changed it all up from what i see.....

Edit.....

From what i remember, you can purchase diff. speeds through omnicity also, but we just went with the basic, it's still MUCH faster than what we were use to dealing with.

Last edited:

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I can't remember the speeds right off the top of my head, but i'll look when i get home. My father has yahoo basic dsl, we both went to speed test and omnicity's basic backage was cheaper, three times faster on the upload, and twice as fast on the download.

Their website use to tell the speeds, but they changed it all up from what i see.....

Edit.....

From what i remember, you can purchase diff. speeds through omnicity also, but we just went with the basic, it's still MUCH faster than what we were use to dealing with.
    cool!

RomanDad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Orange County CA
    I will be in Indiana next week looking at properties....

This is an issue that will effect any decisions we make.... I think Satellite and Wireless card is off the list just because of the usage caps... What is "line of sight" all about?

bump and tag for more discussion.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I will be in Indiana next week looking at properties....

This is an issue that will effect any decisions we make.... I think Satellite and Wireless card is off the list just because of the usage caps... What is "line of sight" all about?

bump and tag for more discussion.

Basically a big wireless broadcast point + an antenna on your end. You aim the antenna at the broadcast tower and receive the signal that way.

But, your antenna has to be able to "see" the tower, hence line-of-sight.

-J-

Top Bottom