• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm game. I'll put out the call. Has anyone ever had a police officer ask or demand your cell phone, and take it back to their car, during a traffic stop?

I want to see how common this is.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Source

Seems like The Paranoia Press is operating full speed ahead! I think they print this stuff on tinfoil with directions on how to fold it into a hat!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lock your phone with a pin/pattern lock and encryption and don't worry about it.
    Prevents casual snooping.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Warrantless requests are for location tracking in an emergency. Say you call 911, say you've been shot, and then the line goes dead and I don't know where you are. I can send an affidavit to the cell provider to try and get your location. Warrantless requests have nothing to do with getting info out of your phone.

To get the info off your phone, I need a warrant or consent. I hate cell phone warrants, they are very technical and a PITA to serve. Luckily, our office has a guy who does all of them for us, we just type up the probable cause and he does the technical stuff about finding the carrier, getting it to the right office, etc.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I have drivers come back and have a seat. While they're in the car I have this camera that has a device that has a device that has another devise on it. Whenit works it's mojo there is a greenish glow that fills the car and the motorist passes out for just a second or two. When they get out. I review their medical records, finances, friends, and relatives. This only works for folk who have an NRA bumper sticker or dress like a good ole boy. If you have a beard, are stopped while riding a camel, have dynomite strapped to your waist, or wear a turbin it won't work

Brian 45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Each of the law officers I know and asked said they would not ask for a cell phone during a trafic stop,

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I suppose that if they are going to make a traffic case involving distracted driving, they could get a search warrant.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No, it was very real and raised a ruckus when it was reported about a few years ago.

MSP did do this for a while. Some troopers probably still do it to people that can't afford to fight it. As far as I know they have not passed a law preventing it, and State Police policy is officially one thing and unofficially another.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No, it was very real and raised a ruckus when it was reported about a few years ago.

MSP did do this for a while. Some troopers probably still do it to people that can't afford to fight it. As far as I know they have not passed a law preventing it, and State Police policy is officially one thing and unofficially another.

I would be interested in doing some reading about this. Do you know of anywhere I could look or searches that may be effective?

Thanks.

[edit]

I did find this.

http://www.networkworld.com/Micronet images/smith-mich-police-statement.png

Is anyone aware of accounts that contradict the MSP's official response?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I suppose that if they are going to make a traffic case involving distracted driving, they could get a search warrant.

My sister is a cop in a neighboring suburb of Chicago. She has quite a few stops for texting while driving. She will ask the person she stopped to see their phone, not demand it. She told me that if the person refuses to show their phone, she writes them a ticket for texting while driving. If they show the phone and they were not texting, no ticket. If they show and they were texting, a written warning.

I know this does not fit exactly with the original post, but I figured I would throw this out there. Every now and again she tells me some things that make my eyes role. Most of the time it appears as if they are just trying to enforce laws and maintain civility in this messed up world.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My sister is a cop in a neighboring suburb of Chicago. She has quite a few stops for texting while driving. She will ask the person she stopped to see their phone, not demand it. She told me that if the person refuses to show their phone, she writes them a ticket for texting while driving. If they show the phone and they were not texting, no ticket. If they show and they were texting, a written warning.

I know this does not fit exactly with the original post, but I figured I would throw this out there. Every now and again she tells me some things that make my eyes role. Most of the time it appears as if they are just trying to enforce laws and maintain civility in this messed up world.
    I salute your sister for trying to keep the idiot drivers at bay. Pretty thankless job.

Top Bottom