• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Being from MI and still having all my family there this article was interesting. Seems they are trying to re-vamp their process which would allow those with "extra" training to carry in what are currently gun free zones. Michigan has really improved since I left, they can have suppressors now, full-autos and now they are trying this. Who knows if it will pass, maybe IN needs to take a look. I know, I know, the whole required training thing and all.

Sweeping changes proposed for Michigan concealed handgun law | MLive.com

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I saw that the other day and agree that's it's an interesting development. In spite of also having family and friends back there, I still prefer Indiana due, in part, to its gun laws. Though, I'm keeping an eye on how things progress with the news.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'll never be a fan of mandatory training to exercise a right. Sounds like they're trying to go in the right direction, but they're still infringing.

They are offering more options for gun owners than they had before. Not very many states are ready for constitutional carry yet, but still moving in the right direction. As a side benefit, people with that extra training will likely be offered carry rights in additional states.

skyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    great point on the addt'l carry rights w/in other states...obviously what precludes IN from those same states. But it's a State rights issue....

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I would take the additional training to cart my gun around all over, legally, without having to worry about some snaffu.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I believe the phrase is "Give an inch, and they take a mile". While it may not be a mile, progress is being made and people are taking inches upon inches in the right direction. The more people get used/comfortable to seeing weapons, people excercising thier 2A rights and crime rate dropping, things may lighten up and they'll reduce/remove the training requirements. Then maybe, eventually we'll finally get Constitutional Carry, and have people stop crapping on our God-given rights to defend ourselves against evil. It's a start and for that I applaud them(even with the training req's).

xmanhockey7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    FYI it's already legal for those who have a CPL to carry in those places they just cannot carry a concealed pistol there.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    FYI it's already legal for those who have a CPL to carry in those places they just cannot carry a concealed pistol there.

Correct, but I think less OC in MI than here. I've never seen anyone yet OC in MI and i'm there once or twice a month. I think more people are a little more reluctant to OC there than here because it used to be common if you were OC'ing to get picked up for "brandishing" even though it never went anywhere the police would still do it.

xmanhockey7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Correct, but I think less OC in MI than here. I've never seen anyone yet OC in MI and i'm there once or twice a month. I think more people are a little more reluctant to OC there than here because it used to be common if you were OC'ing to get picked up for "brandishing" even though it never went anywhere the police would still do it.

We're to the point in MI where many know of it's legality. Rarely do we have the police being called and OCers harassed.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We're to the point in MI where many know of it's legality. Rarely do we have the police being called and OCers harassed.

Good to hear this has settled down, it's been over ten years now since the CCW law took effect and last I checked there were over 300,000 permits issued so i'm sure people are more used to it now.

Top Bottom