• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That stuff is all mild steel. That's what I've been led to believe anyway.

At that price it would have to be. Mabye Im a little safety paranoid, but after watching some of the bullet bounce back videos that are all over youtube due to mild steel Ill stick to ar plate. I figure a Good plate is cheaper than having a doctor remove a bullet from my leg.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I personally witnessed my friend take some blow back in his arm when shooting a BobCat Steel Dueling Tree at 10 yards. He still has the shrapnel in his arm. We since have moved it out to 20 yards at minimum.

We have had issues with the tree, paddles broken at the pivot point, however Bobcat has been very good at backing their product.

On AR 500 I normally shot at 10ish yds. On mild steel Id stay back a long ways.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I personally witnessed my friend take some blow back in his arm when shooting a BobCat Steel Dueling Tree at 10 yards. He still has the shrapnel in his arm. We since have moved it out to 20 yards at minimum.

We have had issues with the tree, paddles broken at the pivot point, however Bobcat has been very good at backing their product.

Ive taken blow back, Im more concerned about a bullet that didnt shatter comming back

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I too am concerned with bullets returning, however after seeing the wound my friend took I am also concerned about blow back. It would have been even worse had that been his face. And you bet, we do wear eye protection.

Ive taken blow back, Im more concerned about a bullet that didnt shatter comming back

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have personally seen a bobcat steel target shot at 60 yards with a 50BMG and it held up well (albeit with a nice dent)

I still own the target and shoot it all the time.

I have a hard time believing his stuff won't hold up.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good news, A company with quality product has a good target on sale,

Search results for: 'slammer' | Salute Products Inc.

Has there been an offered explanation how the Bobcat Steel targets from [STRIKE]Martinsville Conservation Club[/STRIKE] Hoosier Hills Rifle & Pistol Club haven't held up?

Were they abused by folks using too high caliber than that which they were designed for (Thin AR400 "rimfire" targets being shot with up-caliber rifle bullets, for example?) Or Thinner AR500 "handgun" targets being used with up-caliber bullets? Abuse =/= use.

I know SEVERAL INGOers would be quite interested in hearing just how the Bobcat didn't hold up - when it's the first issue I've read/heard about. Including Bobcat that's been shot with .50 BMG and all kinds of their products that's held up phenomenally out at MCF&G's Friday Night Steel shoots. Let alone all the rounds that lovemywoods' targets have taken.

Please, x10, please describe for us what issues were had with the targets.

-J-

Edit: added correct club name

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    How many of these do you own?

I just ordered this one but the club owns a couple more of the other style and they have held up better than the one's I've bought locally

So I'm basing the longevity of this target on the performance of other targets we currently own from the company.

My data is empirical over a small sample size so I can't vouch for the overall market saturation and relative quality vs. all manufactures on the market

-----------------------------------

As for any comments about Bobcat I don't to air that laundry,

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just ordered this one but the club owns a couple more of the other style and they have held up better than the one's I've bought locally

So I'm basing the longevity of this target on the performance of other targets we currently own from the company.

My data is empirical over a small sample size so I can't vouch for the overall market saturation and relative quality vs. all manufactures on the market.

Which club?

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Has there been an offered explanation how the Bobcat Steel targets from the Martinsville Conservatioin Club haven't held up?

Were they abused by folks using too high caliber than that which they were designed for (Thin AR400 "rimfire" targets being shot with up-caliber rifle bullets, for example?) Or Thinner AR500 "handgun" targets being used with up-caliber bullets? Abuse =/= use.

I know SEVERAL INGOers would be quite interested in hearing just how the Bobcat didn't hold up - when it's the first issue I've read/heard about. Including Bobcat that's been shot with .50 BMG and all kinds of their products that's held up phenomenally out at MCF&G's Friday Night Steel shoots. Let alone all the rounds that lovemywoods' targets have taken.

Please, x10, please describe for us what issues were had with the targets.

-J-

^ This. I'm also interested in knowing.

My Bobcat Steel targets have held up great. Shot my spring-loaded Bobcat popup target yesterday and was marveling at how long this thing was going to last, even after shooting it so many times already.

I still have very early AR500 targets from Bobcat before he became Bobcat Steel officially. They've been shot with .50BMG at 60 yards and are still going strong.

Count me a skeptic at issues with his targets.

Last edited:

Colarmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greater Fort Wayne Area

My data is empirical over a small sample size so I can't vouch for the overall market saturation and relative quality vs. all manufactures on the market

-----------------------------------

As for any comments about Bobcat I don't to air that laundry,

Any ethical problems with "airing laundry" sort of disappear when you've made an unsubstantiated claim, and then when asked by the business to substantiate it, said you don't air laundry.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would like to know what size targets you ordered from bobcat steel that didn't hold up.

You keep saying "local company" Im assuming your talking about Bobcat steel.

Top Bottom