• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Over the last 10 years or so I have met around 75 agents working my job, got to know some of them somewhat well out of that number only one was kind of an "a" hole, the rest all super nice guys and gals.

As my Grandfather used to say: "They put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else"

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Good Lord they are just people like the rest of us. I have a cousin and several friends that are ATF agents, a USSS agent, several DEA, and FBI. There is no mystique.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good Lord they are just people like the rest of us. I have a cousin and several friends that are ATF agents, a USSS agent, several DEA, and FBI. There is no mystique.

No mystique, no, Denny, but the power and authority to mess up your whole day, especially at a gun show or gun shop. You figure most of the time they're there, it's not to browse for personal ownership, but because they're on duty, which means looking for offenses.

With as many laws as we have on the books, not violating one is a challenge, and ignorance of the law is no excuse unless you happen to be the guy enforcing one that doesn't exist.

I realize that what I've written here applies to any LEO, and further, that I'm telling you nothing new. I think the OP's point was just that the guy he met didn't fit the "Men In Black"/"Dragnet" stereotype.

Blessings,
    Bill

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    There is good and bad in every profession and in every field of life, just common sense. At the same time in the last twenty years, or so it seems like, we as a country are unraveling at the seams. Just feels like to me that a storm is heading our way.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    There is good and bad in every profession and in every field of life, just common sense. At the same time in the last twenty years, or so it seems like, we as a country are unraveling at the seams. Just feels like to me that a storm is heading our way.

I agree.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    You're probably right. But just today a fellow INGO member told me that he had a couple guys from IL trying to buy the pistol he had on the INGO classifieds. Maybe just regular guys from IL trying to buy a pistol but that's still ILLEGAL and who's to say they weren't ATF? Dot your I's, cross your T's and CYA!

Hmm, this can get into a bit of a gray area.

If they are asking him to transfer it via their LGS FFL, then there is no problem, actually. The crux of the law is where possession takes place.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    All kidding aside you can bet ATF monitors this site, Armslist, and all the online gun related auction sites!

I feel like the ATF is a bigger boogy man then folks make them out to be.

The ATF has about 5000 agents... There are what, 300,000,000+ guns in private hands?! Theres about 61,000 FFL holders in the US. I imagine they spend a good deal of their time simply inspecting paperwork, rather then browse the MANY online classifieds sites hoping to bust somebody with what looks to be doing an illegal activity. Plus I can only imagine the headache that is dealing with the vast quantities of paperwork and NFA items and all that crap that floods their offices daily. Then again this is pure speculation on my part, numbers from google search might be totally wrong and maybe ATF does spend all it's budget constantly sending paying for agents to attend gunshows in Indiana and all over the country, the rest of the agents are paid to browse classifieds and attempt to investigate ppl doing private to private sales. :dunno: And forget about the explosives part to their title, who knows what they do during their alcohol and tobacco investigations...

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I feel like the ATF is a bigger boogy man then folks make them out to be.

The ATF has about 5000 agents... There are what, 300,000,000+ guns in private hands?! Theres about 61,000 FFL holders in the US. I imagine they spend a good deal of their time simply inspecting paperwork, rather then browse the MANY online classifieds sites hoping to bust somebody with what looks to be doing an illegal activity. Plus I can only imagine the headache that is dealing with the vast quantities of paperwork and NFA items and all that crap that floods their offices daily. Then again this is pure speculation on my part, numbers from google search might be totally wrong and maybe ATF does spend all it's budget constantly sending paying for agents to attend gunshows in Indiana and all over the country, the rest of the agents are paid to browse classifieds and attempt to investigate ppl doing private to private sales. :dunno: And forget about the explosives part to their title, who knows what they do during their alcohol and tobacco investigations...

While ATF has around 5,000 employees less than 2,800 are Special Agents. ATF has several employees that audit paperwork at dealers/distributors. ATF then has other employees that are assigned to industry sector to inspect factories and other custom firearm operations and buisnesses. Upon any findings of illegal activity then the ATF Special Agents would then get involved.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    While ATF has around 5,000 employees less than 2,800 are Special Agents. ATF has several employees that audit paperwork at dealers/distributors. ATF then has other employees that are assigned to industry sector to inspect factories and other custom firearm operations and buisnesses. Upon any findings of illegal activity then the ATF Special Agents would then get involved.

Less than 2,800 special agents? Wow, good to know. The rest of the force are just paper pushers.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    I would bet there are ATF agents on INGO.

Of course they are probably the guys *****ing about not being able to use the classifieds because they don't have 50 quality posts. :laugh:

What we really need to worry about is the SSBFB (Super Secretive Bureau of Firearms and Bacon) rumor has it they are tracking us all..

Top Bottom