• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    By the way, we were outside the city limits of Bargersville when we came upon this accident. Situations like this, are the reason why I always carry while I'm on my bike, you never know what you might encounter.

ghosst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2015
    Lapel
    You made the right choice by backing off, if it were me I'd stand by to make sure no kids got hurt, but I wouldn't shoot another person's dog without their permission, and plenty of witnesses.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Awhile back the barn called where my wife kept her aging horse to tell us that she was down and couldn't get up.

My wife knew the end was near and had decided to donate the horse to a big cat rescue facility to feed the cats. The horse had been a rescue herself and we both thought it was appropriate.

The hitch was that for the facility to accept her she could not be put down by lethal injection. That meant it was up to me.

I drove out and of course did not permit the wife to accompany me. Rosebud was down in the arena. I stroked her neck and talked to her. God, it was brutal. She was an animal that really enjoyed her life and I could see that she wanted to get up and go back out and run around with the little burro that was her pasture pal, but it just wasn't going to happen.

If I've ever done anything harder than pulling that trigger I can't remember where or when it was.

The only positive was that since I wasn't in Carmel I didn't get arrested.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    A long time ago I would go deer hunting with my ex-father-in-law, and never saw that first deer. Back a few years ago while driving a semi before retirement, I hit a deer south of Bloomington on 37. I didn't see the deer until it was right in front of me, and thought I had missed it, till the trailer obviously ran over it. I pulled the truck over to the shoulder, and walked back to find the deer laying there on the ground with it's belly laid wide open. That animal just laid there looking up at me with those big brown eyes and gasping for breath, almost as if it were thinking, how could you hit me! Ever since then, I have no desire to hunt anything, unless it's hunting me. I guess if it was the difference between life and death, I could do it, but not otherwise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for all the input, the image of that dog tearing into the injured dog is a hard thing to forget. After hearing on TV more often than we should, about a dog attacking a child or adult, I now can understand fully why so many people fear dogs. I'm a dog lover, and it really tore me up to see that dog suffer like that, let alone be attacked while in intense pain. He did his best to fight back, but it was no match. I'm glad now that things worked out the way they did, with the actual owner arriving, and we were able to leave the scene and not have to watch the outcome. I know my wife is still having trouble with the emotional terror that unfolded right before our eyes.

The injured animal/blood turns a good pet back into a dog. It is an instinct.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    The injured animal/blood turns a good pet back into a dog. It is an instinct.

I'd never heard that before, but it makes sense. As that dog came running up toward the injured dog, I thought they were maybe friendly, and he was just coming to the aid of his fallen friend. But, that quickly changed right after he got close enough to sniff the other dog, and gave him one lick, then he immediately, and attacked viciously him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd never heard that before, but it makes sense. As that dog came running up toward the injured dog, I thought they were maybe friendly, and he was just coming to the aid of his fallen friend. But, that quickly changed right after he got close enough to sniff the other dog, and gave him one lick, then he immediately, and attacked viciously him.

I have seen this in Ferrell dogs and yotes. It surprised me as well. Those who know explained the behavior. They are dogs. We can domesticate them but it is a short jump back to "Dog"

I love animals but I also realize they are exactly that......animals.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    To the best of my memory, I've never seen a domesticated dog act like that. In my opinion, I felt that the attacking dog should also have been put down, just because of his actions. The attacking dog's owner had to hit the dog several, very hard times to get him to release the bite he had on that dogs leg. And as he was dragging him away toward the house, he was fighting and trying everything he could do to get loose and come back. The family with the attacking dog, had several children that were present, and I wondered how that dog might be towards them from now on. I think if it were my dog, I'd keep a close watch on him while he was around my children.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I have seen this in Ferrell dogs and yotes. It surprised me as well. Those who know explained the behavior. They are dogs. We can domesticate them but it is a short jump back to "Dog"

Good thing to know, and more people should know and understand that. Especially with children present. That knowledge could save a kids life in a similar situation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To the best of my memory, I've never seen a domesticated dog act like that. In my opinion, I felt that the attacking dog should also have been put down, just because of his actions. The attacking dog's owner had to hit the dog several, very hard times to get him to release the bite he had on that dogs leg. And as he was dragging him away toward the house, he was fighting and trying everything he could do to get loose and come back. The family with the attacking dog, had several children that were present, and I wondered how that dog might be towards them from now on. I think if it were my dog, I'd keep a close watch on him while he was around my children.

In those memory's have you ever seen this play out before. It is not common place and is very upsetting to see.

Yes, we all love our pets and they love us. Not "Every" dog will go psycho right away but the instincts are there. As with people we can revert to the mindless cave dweller with the right stimulus. The smells of a wounded animal (blood etc) are strong triggers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Like this Ferrell?
    Blades-Will-Ferrell.jpg

Not according to INGO. I was told that all dogs are loveable bundles of cuddles all the time.

As to mercy killings...
    Our mercy killing can easily be construed as a bloodlust by a grieving owner.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A long time ago I would go deer hunting with my ex-father-in-law, and never saw that first deer. Back a few years ago while driving a semi before retirement, I hit a deer south of Bloomington on 37. I didn't see the deer until it was right in front of me, and thought I had missed it, till the trailer obviously ran over it. I pulled the truck over to the shoulder, and walked back to find the deer laying there on the ground with it's belly laid wide open. That animal just laid there looking up at me with those big brown eyes and gasping for breath, almost as if it were thinking, how could you hit me! Ever since then, I have no desire to hunt anything, unless it's hunting me. I guess if it was the difference between life and death, I could do it, but not otherwise.

I grew up in the country, hunting and fishing and trapping with my older brother. One of my proudest achievements when I was young was when I caught my first fox in a leghold trap, I think was 13 at the time.

But, some years later, when I was right out of high school, I came up on a fox caught in one of my traps. It had the usual circle of clawed up earth all around it from spending the night trying to find out a way to get away from the thing that held it, but when she saw me coming, she just flattened her body to the ground, as if to hide, since she knew she couldn't run. I remember feeling the normal sense of accomplishment at my success and I shot her in the head with my 10/22 as she crouched perfectly still. For some reason, the look on that fox's face stuck in my mind (and is still there 30-some years later), and I was never able to set another leghold trap.

Top Bottom