• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Zenbrunno,

You're right about "clouded thinking." At heart this is not a gun right or LTCH problem, but just a mental health problem. Many depressed people, whether they are gun owners or not, refuse to seek treatment because they don't think it's worth while, they don't think they'll get better, they think they're too busy at work for anything else, etc. The list of excuses goes on. It just so happens the people in question are gun people, so LTCH became their excuse. If you're close to such a person, you have to work hard to drag him/her to the doctor no matter what.

You have to get your friend to see what's stopping them from getting treatment is depression, not this excuse of the LTCH issue. Find readings about the phenomenon. Maybe get your other mutual friends to join the cause. (This sort of stuff is called an "intervention.") You may have to find a doctor for your friend, make an appointment for him/her, and accompany the patient to the meeting. Perhaps make the doctor aware of this gun concern, and ask him/her to reiterate the confidentiality business.

I'd much rather have my health than my guns or my LTCH. Let's be honest: unless you live in a dangerous neighborhood or work a dangerous job, there is almost no chance that you'll to use a gun on any given day. However, you need your health every day. But it's a lot of fun when you have both your health and your guns!

Best of luck to you and to others in a similar situation. I recently watched some people go through it, and I do not envy you.

Da Bing

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Da Bing,

Thank you for taking the time to reply; I appreciate your compassionate and level-headed response. I will do what I can to intervene in the best way possible with my friend.

Top Bottom