Mens wedding bands.. titanium, tungsten?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking at a few wedding rings and I'm drawn towards tungsten because of its scratch resistance qualities. I also like that it can be broken off with vice grips in case of emergency.

On the other hand, the style I like most is only available in titanium. Its also really light which may be nice since I never wear any type of watch or rings. I'm worried about it looking worn quickly.

Anyone have any advice or opinions? Feel free to post pics.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    7 years in titanium here.

Received it in a brushed finish, it seems to polish itself on my finger.

Scuff it every now and again with green Scotchbrite, within a week it is in a semi polished state again.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I am very rough on my watches, so I imagine it won't be much different with rings. I have been told there is a place in Castleton that sells stainless steel rings for around $20. I think when the time comes later this year, we will get 5 of those and throw 4 in a drawer and then get one nice one from Moyer's. That way I can beat up (or lose) the cheap ones without guilt and then bring out the real one for special occasions. As for the nice one I want Tungsten with discrete gold trim.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    titanium here! love it because its so incredibly light I never feel it on plus all the tungsten rings were way too wide for my liking.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Titanium here as well... Apparently a car can drive over my ring without damaging it (pretty sure the rest of my hand would be worse for wear though).

The wife has an inherited diamond (fifth generation) and an inherited ring(second generation)... It was nice being able to pass on that family history (and save some cash).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a Tungsten/white gold weeding ring (tungsten because of my aviation back ground they make great bucking bars for rivets). I wanted Tungsten and titanium but they said it could not be done.

Oh as far as i know you can't resize them.

Mine is heavy but I love it.

Titanium here as well... Apparently a car can drive over my ring without damaging it

Titanium is stronger then steel......... so strong that nobody is really good at drilling it, just lucky haha.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I have a titanium ring I sometimes use as a wedding band. It's glossy black with a straight diagonal cut inside which is a single diamond. I've owned it for about 5 years now of occasional wear and it still looks almost new.

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    We just picked up my tungston ring on Friday, I will be getting married 2 weeks from saturday. I wanted something that was durable, only thing I wasn't sure about was the weight but I think I'll get used to it in time.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    We just picked up my tungston ring on Friday, I will be getting married 2 weeks from saturday. I wanted something that was durable, only thing I wasn't sure about was the weight but I think I'll get used to it in time.

It can still be scratched up, mine has some scratches but I was working on airplanes with it on... just FYI.

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    Tungsten here, had it for about 4 years with just one minor problem, mine shattered.:eek: I had it for about a year at the time and was driving along and thought,"dang what is pokeing my finger by my ring?"
    Well it turned out it WAS my ring where about 30% of it was gone. I have no idea how or what happened :dunno: and the jewelry store replaced it free of charge no no worries.:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Had tungsten, it broke my finger out something fierce, wife bought me a stainless steel one and it is all I wear now. My original gold band just sits in her jewelry box now.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have a tungsten carbide comfort band. It takes a beating in my line of work, but still looks brand new after 3 years. I paid about $100 for it. I didn't even consider anything else. I got the 6 mm band as it was not as thin as a 4 and not as thick as an 8.

I never know I have it on unless I hit something with it. And the weight of your ring is moot.

Worth a mention, but the best thing to clean jewelry with is Soft Soap. It'll make it shine like brand new. (doesn't remove scratches though)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a tungsten carbide ring.

Basically identical to this one: Amazon.com: Men's Rounded Edge Tungsten Ring With Matte Polished Finish--It's Heavy!: Jewelry

VERY inexpensive... No big monetary loss if you lose one and/or need to get one in another size. I"m on the verge of needing a smaller ring myself, actually, due to weight loss.

I suggest tungsten. Yes, it's heavy. But heavy as compared to other rings. Seriously, it's a little itty bitty ring on your hand. You won't notice it being there after an hour or two anyway. Don't let the "weight" keep you from having one.

But the boon of a Tungsten ring is it's extremely high resistance to scratching. The stuff is so hard...it's virtually impossible to scratch. You can go out the concrete sidewalk and scuff the ring across it for 5 minutes... And when you're done, you just blow the concrete dust off of it, wait for it to cool, and put it back on.

The hype about e-rooms not being able to remove rings made from Ti or W is just hype. If your e-room needs to remove the ring, they can get it done.

-J-

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Mine is a Tungsten ring. Since I do heavy industrial construction I wanted a ring that would take a beating, but also on that i could have removed easily if needed. I have been wearing it for the last 7 months and it still looks brand new.

Top Bottom