• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Ok gunsmithers, has anyone had a stainless steel gun or parts melonite treated around here?

I have a request to have a stainless steel can treated so it will turn black without having to have a coating on it like duracoat.

Melonite came to mind, but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    High temp cerekote comes to mind..... i have not heard of anyone meloniting a stainless suppressor before, but it might be worth a call to the guys who can apply melonite. brownells sells certain bluing salts that will work on stainless steel but they are expensive..... i might be willing to bear part of that cost but the job would be more expensive than normal.... either way, good luck in your ventures.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Bodycote Thermal Processing - Indianapolis
    500 West 21st Street
    Indianapolis
    IN 46202
    We use them for gears. They do EVERYTHING!!!

Circle City Heat Treating in Indianapolis, we use them for small run prototypes, I think they salt nitride, i've had them Cryo my rifle barrels, so I know they do "government" work.

I'll check with our purchasing group tomorrow, see if we can get you the group rate. I'll PM you my work contact info, we can go from there.

Someday soon we need to meet at B Evans and talk supressors.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Bodycote Thermal Processing - Indianapolis
    500 West 21st Street
    Indianapolis
    IN 46202
    We use them for gears. They do EVERYTHING!!!

Circle City Heat Treating in Indianapolis, we use them for small run prototypes, I think they salt nitride, i've had them Cryo my rifle barrels, so I know they do "government" work.

I'll check with our purchasing group tomorrow, see if we can get you the group rate. I'll PM you my work contact info, we can go from there.

Someday soon we need to meet at B Evans and talk supressors.

U rock Dan!

jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Ok gunsmithers, has anyone had a stainless steel gun or parts melonite treated around here?

I have a request to have a stainless steel can treated so it will turn black without having to have a coating on it like duracoat.

Melonite came to mind, but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

What is Melonite and why would you want to do it to your rifle? I have looked it up and have only read that it improves wear ability. What would be the advantage to it and what would it provide that the strength of the stainless steel cant provide?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    For me it is a total cosmetic and durability thing for the can. I don't like the looks of a silver SS can on a black gun.

The gun I am building is a Beretta 21A with a can that is a little bigger then a tube of chapstick. I just want the whole thing to be black......very 007'ish.

Now for other firearms, if I understand it correctly, it is a hardening process as well as a duarability and a lubricating type property. The main things I think people have melonite treated are bolts, slides and other metal on metal wear spots.

But I will be the first to say I am in no way an expert on it.

Maybe 6birds will chime in about why they do gear parts.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    For me it is a total cosmetic and durability thing for the can. I don't like the looks of a silver SS can on a black gun.

Maybe 6birds will chime in about why they do gear parts.

• Corrosion protection
    • Wear resistance
    • Surface hardness
    Internal transmission parts, high heat, long service life between rebuilds. External gears, splines, moving parts (think salt mines, earthmovers, coal and rock applications), it will take anything mother nature can throw at it.

The "coating" does not change the tolerance of the parts, so once you machine the perfect screw drive (or "can" for us gun junkies), the part does not "grow" larger, like many other coatings.

Good stuff, and please Corey, post pics!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Well for cost reasons I am having Thompson Machine send me the can already black (powdercoating and only $20), but I am not done with this Melonite thing.

Now I am thinking maybe a stainless Rmeington 700 melonite treated?? humm...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Well for cost reasons I am having Thompson Machine send me the can already black (powdercoating and only $20), but I am not done with this Melonite thing.

Now I am thinking maybe a stainless Rmeington 700 melonite treated?? humm...

It would make a real bad-azz looking revolver, maybe a BFR, I have one in 45-70 we might want to try it on... or a matching pair of 45 Rugers....

I always get in trouble when you start this stuff man!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Ohhhh Man!!!

What about the stainless steel all weather Ruger Red Label???

Something to sell our Citori's for??

I have one for each of the boys now, can't sell, the kids own them, you know that! If you ever move yours, call me collect!

An all black SxS! I had a chance to buy a 1951 Winchester Model 21 "Funeral gun", all black metal, and real dark walnut furniture, custom from the old Winchester factory... i checked the sock drawer, i didn't have the $17000 that day. it's worth twice that today.

Top Bottom