• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I just recently got serious into deer hunting. I just took my first deer less than 2 weeks ago with a TC Muzzle loader.

I am looking into a dedicated deer rifle. I am a paraplegic so the spots I hunt from are more limited than most. I want to be able to accurately reach out to 200 yds with a max of 300. I already have an AR15 so I'm looking into a .450 bushmaster upper. However, $800 for an upper minus scope is salty right now. I like the muzzle loader but would prefer a cartridge. Ballistically the 450 looks great out to 200-250.

Im also thinking of a bolt rifle converted to 358 Hoosier.

any other good ideas? I have plenty of time till next season, but the sooner I prepare the better.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Try looking at a Thompson Center Contender or Encore in a pistol platform.
    I have a Contender that I have several different barrels to fit, for different applications.

For deer it wears either a .357mag (10" barrel), .44mag(10" barrel), .30/30 Winchester("Super 14" 14" barrel), or a .45/70govt ("Super 16 16" barrel).
    The 30/30 should do nicely out to 250 yards or a little more.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I like the T/C route. Order a barrel cut for a 358 diameter, and a case length of 1.795. Use 308 brass as it is not to hard to find in bulk. This is a run down, quick version. I know I'm missing steps, but I'm on my phone at work so if anyone wants to fill in the blanks feel free. I have. I model 70 243 wssm converted to the 1.6 358 and its a deer slayer out to 400 with enough practice. But the route above is a little less expensive I believe.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I just recently got serious into deer hunting. I just took my first deer less than 2 weeks ago with a TC Muzzle loader.

I am looking into a dedicated deer rifle. I am a paraplegic so the spots I hunt from are more limited than most. I want to be able to accurately reach out to 200 yds with a max of 300. I already have an AR15 so I'm looking into a .450 bushmaster upper. However, $800 for an upper minus scope is salty right now. I like the muzzle loader but would prefer a cartridge. Ballistically the 450 looks great out to 200-250.

Im also thinking of a bolt rifle converted to 358 Hoosier.

any other good ideas? I have plenty of time till next season, but the sooner I prepare the better.

Hunt on private ground?.......:dunno:

.270........7mmMag.......... .308 ..........300WinMag.........etc..........

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you think 800 before the scope is salty, I dont think you can get a bolt action hoosier for less than that.

Keep in mind that ANY legal Indiana rifle wont be the kind you can walk out the door and ethically take a 300 yd shot without a good bit of practice.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    358 hoosier ammo is also very expensive as well, and very hard to get theirs a 358 hooiser for sale in anderson at gunslingers you might give them a call if your interested i think its a 700 action i couldn't tell you how it is. i think a custom tc barrel in 460 Smith would be a option as well

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    If you take the T/c encore route you could get an.358 wssm barrel at a number of places but brass supply will be an issue so the .358 Hoosier might better since it's got a common parent case. My 200 yard deer rifle is a rock river .458 socom upper. It has a bit more range than my Marlin 1894 I used to use but it's still not a long range rifle in any way whatsoever. I know a few people who hunt with encore pistols in rifle calibers like .243 or .270 but it takes a lot of practice to get proficient with one of those things.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Even on private ground you have to abide by the game laws for equipment use.

:rolleyes:......An' I betch'a ya always stood at attention,an' never spoke unless spoken to in school,huh dude ?......:):.......If ya think dudes don' use these calibers......prolly ought'r git out'na fields more dure'n gun season.....'specially North o' me......where it a looooooonnng azz way 'cross a cut corn field....:):

If you take the T/c encore route you could get an.358 wssm barrel at a number of places but brass supply will be an issue so the .358 Hoosier might better since it's got a common parent case. My 200 yard deer rifle is a rock river .458 socom upper. It has a bit more range than my Marlin 1894 I used to use but it's still not a long range rifle in any way whatsoever. I know a few people who hunt with encore pistols in rifle calibers like .243 or .270 but it takes a lot of practice to get proficient with one of those things.

:yesway:......HAD 1.......chamber'd in .308......got from Kiesler b'fore the Orion dudes took over.....ANYways......got ta where could keep 5 out'a 5 centerways in'a drywall bucket lid @ 250 yds.......IF did'n breath hard.......LOL!......:):

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Current deer rig is a TC Contender carbine in .35 Rem.
    Figure it a 200yd max rig.
    Doesn't matter, aint seen anything with antlers all season LOL.
    Im right there with ya not including the monster 3pt that came underneath me while bowhunting! Im gonna go with the .35rem in 2014. Should give me plenty of time to work some loads up, acquire a Marlin .35rem and trim down some shells.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    :rolleyes:......An' I betch'a ya always stood at attention,an' never spoke unless spoken to in school,huh dude ?......:):.......If ya think dudes don' use these calibers......prolly ought'r git out'na fields more dure'n gun season.....'specially North o' me......where it a looooooonnng azz way 'cross a cut corn field....:):

:yesway:......HAD 1.......chamber'd in .308......got from Kiesler b'fore the Orion dudes took over.....ANYways......got ta where could keep 5 out'a 5 centerways in'a drywall bucket lid @ 250 yds.......IF did'n breath hard.......LOL!......:):

Sound like a bunch of poachers to me.

Last edited:

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I have G2 Contenders in 357 Maximum and 35rem trimmed to 1.780 both very good shooters barrles were built by MatchGradeMachine.
    That's all we use then switch them out with .45cal muzzlerloader barrles. In the summer they get 22 long for summer plinking

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    If you think 800 before the scope is salty, I dont think you can get a bolt action hoosier for less than that.

Keep in mind that ANY legal Indiana rifle wont be the kind you can walk out the door and ethically take a 300 yd shot without a good bit of practice.

The voice of reason. ;)

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    That depends on what scope you would call appropriate scope, my self all I use are Leupold VX II or better and some older Burris
    As far as the frame goes there out there used for 350.00 or under and if you look on MatchGradeMachines site they will offer a stub sale on most calibers barrels under 16inches there price's in the past were around 200.00 per barrel. then add good bases and rings I would say somewhere around 800.00 ballpark

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom