• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Those of us who like meat are certainly paying a price for it and it's not likely to get better anytime soon. Beef prices are going to keep going up and aren't likely to rebound till 2018. Pork's way up there, too and chickens been on the rise for a while. Even ground meats are up there. Sadly, there's nothing we can do about it. I refuse to eat more vegetables than I already do.

Meat prices soar

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Deer season is one the way.

I wonder if cattle and pig theft has risen over the last year. I had a full grown bull cow in my newly planted garden this spring. Eating my strawberry and bean plants. My wife kinda freaked out when instead of chasing it away I offered it some nice green grass trying the lure it into my garage to butcher. He would not budge so I broke out a two by four and got him out of the garden and back into the pasture in the back of the homestead. His owner did bring over some plants and steaks for my damage and getting the steer back on his land. He did repair the fence.

If he had just walked Into the garage.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Saw a message on another forum I frequent from a restauranteur who was lamenting the price increases. His places sells choice and prime beef and it's killing his bottom line and he's afraid the price increases may put him out of business. Bet there are lots of small restaurants in the same boat.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Thank goodness I have a niece and nephew in 4H. I've got a freezer full of of pork and chicken with another that will soon have a side of beef in it that should get us well into 2016. I'll hopefully pack some venison into the nooks and crannies.

They've been talking about this spike in prices for a couple of years now.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My uncle is raising some cows as we speak. Should be ready in a month or two. Last I seen them they were looking mighty healthy.

Anyways, he is going to give us a side for the winter. We're very appreciative.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    But... how can that be? The inflation rates the .gov has been reporting have been so low the last few years, the prices can't be rising like that! And the fuel prices must be a lie as well! [/purple]

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    I've got a side of beef coming in mid September to get us through the winter, and I'm already thinking about setting back money for a full hog towards Christmas. Cheaper to buy it all at once it seems, and the quality beats any grocery store every day of the week.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Wifey has a friend down by Richmond who raises a few every year and sells most of it to recoup his costs and give himself free [except for labor] beef. We're splitting one of the bovines with some friends. I highly recommend locally raised beef. AND the New Madrid packers. They do wonderful work at reasonable prices. If I lived over in Darke or Green county OH we'd see a lot more of them.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Saw a message on another forum I frequent from a restauranteur who was lamenting the price increases. His places sells choice and prime beef and it's killing his bottom line and he's afraid the price increases may put him out of business. Bet there are lots of small restaurants in the same boat.

In an economy where money is tight and price of necessities rise, people generally buy less of said higher cost items, or find ways to lower the cost of what they spend. So I would definitely agree with this, affecting a lot small restaurants, and small business in the food industry.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    You mean an inflationary monetary policy set in place by the national bankers' cartel (also known as the Federal Reserve) and the national government is neither helpful nor sound fiscal policy? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

Possible solutions to this particular problem:

1.) Prayer.
    2.) Homesteading.
    3.) Cow-shares.
    4.) Bulk purchasing at discount club stores (Sam's, CostCo, et cetera).
    5.) Barter.
    6.) Mutually-supportive network of relatives and friends.
    7.) Petitioning the national government to stop its de-valuative, inflationary monetary policy.

(Suggested solutions listed from most to least likely to help.)

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Feds are still mandating the use of corn that could be animal feed into poor grade motor fuel. The costs of ethanol production is more than it can bring in the open market. This has driven the price of animal feed sky high, and that results in higher priced meat. So taxpayers loose 3 times; 1) To subsidize the production of ethanol, 2) higher feed, thus higher meat prices, 3) forced to purchase fuel that has less energy per gallon, and is harder on your car.

What a great plan that our genius government has implemented in our behalf!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The Feds are still mandating the use of corn that could be animal feed into poor grade motor fuel. The costs of ethanol production is more than it can bring in the open market. This has driven the price of animal feed sky high, and that results in higher priced meat. So taxpayers loose 3 times; 1) To subsidize the production of ethanol, 2) higher feed, thus higher meat prices, 3) forced to purchase fuel that has less energy per gallon, and is harder on your car.

What a great plan that our genius government has implemented in our behalf!
    Hey now, it's not about what your government can do for you but what you can do for your government

Insert purple if needed

Top Bottom