• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    First one was through employer. We use the wife's insurance as a teacher which is marginally better. Any plan outside of that is $1500+ per month. Second one was a standalone company (I've forgotten the name at this point. Anger occasionally makes me rage quit). It was going to be a little over $100/ month.
    Disability is definitely the most expensive, but it shouldn’t cost you more than 1-3% of annual salary a year.

The older you are when you purchase it, the riskier your occupation, etc will drive prices up.

But a $1500/mo seems ridiculously high. Unless you’re making $50,000 a month.

A 24M that needs $5000 a month disability benefit would pay like a $1000 a year.

40M would pay $1500 a year.

I don’t sell these type of plans, but I can find you an agent that does, if you want to seriously look at these.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Disability is definitely the most expensive, but it shouldn’t cost you more than 1-3% of annual salary a year.

The older you are when you purchase it, the riskier your occupation, etc will drive prices up.

But a $1500/mo seems ridiculously high. Unless you’re making $50,000 a month.

A 24M that needs $5000 a month disability benefit would pay like a $1000 a year.

40M would pay $1500 a year.

I don’t sell these type of plans, but I can find you an agent that does, if you want to seriously look at these.
    We keep emergenct money for these things, I don't need it but it would be nice to not eat that emergency money if I didn't have to. At this point I'm done with insurance companies.

The $1500/mo was for standard ****** (and I mean ******) health insurance.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    We keep emergenct money for these things, I don't need it but it would be nice to not eat that emergency money if I didn't have to. At this point I'm done with insurance companies.

The $1500/mo was for standard ****** (and I mean ******) health insurance.
    Now health insurance is what I sell.

But Obamacare has pretty much standardized the prices based off income.

If your household income is low enough, you get subsidies to lower it. If not, you’re out of luck unfortunately.

I use HealthSharing plans for myself personally.

I’m not paying $1500+ a month for health insurance either.

The point I was making was getting unforeseen things covered, like disability, death, cancer, heart attacks etc.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Now health insurance is what I sell.

But Obamacare has pretty much standardized the prices based off income.

If your household income is low enough, you get subsidies to lower it. If not, you’re out of luck unfortunately.

I use HealthSharing plans for myself personally.

I’m not paying $1500+ a month for health insurance either.

The point I was making was getting unforeseen things covered, like disability, death, cancer, heart attacks etc.
    yeah we got those things covered mostly. Wife has had cancer coverage for a decade and we've carried life insurance since we got married. What kills me is she has had STD forever and this woman has multiple recurring issues and has had a couple surgeries being off for months at a time. She gets covered. I break one bone my entire life or see a therapist and nope.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’ve had my own doubts about Jordan. With all the “libs-owning” sound bites in YouTube shorts coming across my feed, nothing gets done. But it’s probably helping him raise campaign money.
    Unfortunately, neither of them can articulate a believable plan to force the budgeting process away from Omnibus bills. Neither can anyone else I'm aware of

I still favor Scalise from the options on the table, mostly from a competancy standpoint and knowing what time it is

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unfortunately, neither of them can articulate a believable plan to force the budgeting process away from Omnibus bills. Neither can anyone else I'm aware of

I still favor Scalise from the options on the table, mostly from a competancy standpoint and knowing what time it is
    :faint:

Agreed

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't blame him.

Who would want that job knowing that just one dude could throw you under the bus?

I guess this is what it looks like when congress critters throw a tantrum...

Regards,

Doug
    I think the reason he gave for withdrawing is because of the GOP conference inability at this time to put aside differences and coalesce. He says they're not there yet.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I don't blame him.

Who would want that job knowing that just one dude could throw you under the bus?

Regards,

Doug
    I heard on the radio today that Scalise had a 55 percent conservative rating which is a solid F, if there are a few that can hold their feet to the fire and stop the uniparty we have now I’m ok with it. I will admit the globe as a whole is in a precarious position right now but so is the country we live in. If there are a few willing to take a political beating and try to right the ship I’ll give it a go. What’s been the norm for decades isn’t working so a different plan might be what’s needed.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't blame him.

Regards,

Doug

If I took a job as a garbage man and I kept dumping the garbage in people's driveways, I wouldn't be shocked if I got fired for it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do you realize what one man calls a “tantrum” is another man’s principles?

I agree with principles, no argument. However, his alleged "principles" just blew up the republican party at least as far as any large scale respectability is concerned.

I think the reason he gave for withdrawing is because of the GOP conference inability at this time to put aside differences and coalesce. He says they're not there yet.

I wouldn't argue with that premise at all. I just don't think republicans will be any closer to "coalescing" until after the next election.

And even then...?

I heard on the radio today that Scalise had a 55 percent conservative rating which is a solid F, if there are a few that can hold their feet to the fire and stop the uniparty we have now I’m ok with it. I will admit the globe as a whole is in a precarious position right now but so is the country we live in. If there are a few willing to take a political beating and try to right the ship I’ll give it a go. What’s been the norm for decades isn’t working so a different plan might be what’s needed.

55% by whom? And who elected them? This is a big problem republicans have. In the last 30 - 40 years some inside the party are trying to put a "purity test" on everyone. Reagan was a conservative republican. People LOVED him when he was elected. Would he pass a purity test today? I think not. He reached across the aisle to cut deals with Tip O'Neal. Bush Sr was a republican, but voted out because of one (1) compromise on raising taxes. Perhaps the voters were standing on their principles, and thanks to that tantrum we were stuck with Clinton for eight (8) years. Bush Jr wasn't as conservative as some would have liked. Trump reduced revenues AND increased spending massively on Covid bailouts. Up goes our national debt. What about Mitch Daniels? He advocated for the republicans to drop all social issues and focus on fiscal ones. As I recall he was referring to opposing abortion and gay marriage. Would he be a RINO today? And if he is, says who?

Conservative republicans use the term RINO without understanding that there is no one they would trust to set the standards of such purity tests. Notice the democrats don't rip one another apart over purity tests. They have their own real problems but rating their allies on a purity test is not one of them.

I agree that the world has issues, almost none of which affect us here. We do have economic problems, that is true. But compared to the rest of the world today we are golden (or even platinum.) Our number one trading partner is now Mexico, not China. I want to see us decouple much more from China but we're on a good path there. We are have the largest industrial build out here at home in the last 100 years. Our energy costs are cheaper than anywhere else in the world thanks to shale oil and natural gas. We have the capacity to feed ourselves without help from around the world, although I will miss Lebanese dates if they go away.
    If I took a job as a garbage man and I kept dumping the garbage in people's driveways, I wouldn't be shocked if I got fired for it.

I understand. He got Biden to agree to an 8% cut. Some wanted more, but didn't get it. This is again a case of people letting perfect get in the way of good.

I used to have the problem with fellow Libertarians, mostly from outside of Indiana. There were some jerkwads that were the kind that would sit around on the couch eating chips and discussing philosophy and governmental overreach for 20 years but didn't do squat to run for office and make a difference at all. They'd demand that we decriminalize all drugs - today. And ANY alternative idea that moved toward that goal post without trying to advocate for ideas that would be embraced by the public they would oppose because it wasn't good enough. At the time polls showed 60% of all Americans (liberal and conservative) would support allowing sick or dying people to use marijuana for medical purposes. They would balk at moving in the direction they wanted because it wasn't everything they wanted right now. A LOT of Libertarians throw tantrums too.

McCarthy reminds me a bit of Michael Collins. Collins was sent to negotiate for Ireland's freedom and got, by his estimation, the best deal he could have. However, Eamon de Valera balked and stormed out when he lost the vote. Collins was assassinated and Ireland didn't bode well for quite some time.

--------------------

No matter who does what the next republican house speaker ought to demand, before taking the position, that the rules are reverted to what they were before McCarthy was elected. They seemed to work well before.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s because he didn’t have the votes. And this is how it’s gonna be. All it takes is 4 Republican critters to blow up any nomination.

But, all Scalise had to do is agree to knock it off with the omnibus bills. Why is that such a hard thing to do? L01 is probably right that this only makes MAGA Republicans look like idiots. But why is it so ***damn important to establishment R’s to keep up the omnibus bills and continuing resolutions? People should ask their own congress critters?

If there’s that much opposition to that one change, then there’s no chance any opponent of omnibus bills can become speaker. I wish they’d learn pragmatism as a principle and recognize battles they can’t win and go for the battles they can.

I sense that this is only weakening their caucus and impeading their ability in the future.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I agree with principles, no argument. However, his alleged "principles" just blew up the republican party at least as far as any large scale respectability is concerned.
    Wait wut? “Just” blew up (concerning respectability), from the Libertatian?
    I wouldn't argue with that premise at all. I just don't think republicans will be any closer to "coalescing" until after the next election.

And even then...?

55% by whom? And who elected them? This is a big problem republicans have. In the last 30 - 40 years some inside the party are trying to put a "purity test" on everyone. Reagan was a conservative republican.
    Again, wait wut? Reagan really got the ball rolling on big government spending, IIRC.
    People LOVED him when he was elected. Would he pass a purity test today? I think not. He reached across the aisle to cut deals with Tip O'Neal. Bush Sr was a republican, but voted out because of one (1) compromise on raising taxes. Perhaps the voters were standing on their principles, and thanks to that tantrum we were stuck with Clinton for eight (8) years. Bush Jr wasn't as conservative as some would have liked. Trump reduced revenues AND increased spending massively on Covid bailouts. Up goes our national debt. What about Mitch Daniels? He advocated for the republicans to drop all social issues and focus on fiscal ones. As I recall he was referring to opposing abortion and gay marriage. Would he be a RINO today? And if he is, says who?

Conservative republicans use the term RINO without understanding that there is no one they would trust to set the standards of such purity tests. Notice the democrats don't rip one another apart over purity tests. They have their own real problems but rating their allies on a purity test is not one of them.
    This is spot on, exactly why they will continue to win, at least in the short term, while we “stand for something”.
    I agree that the world has issues, almost none of which affect us here. We do have economic problems, that is true. But compared to the rest of the world today we are golden (or even platinum.) Our number one trading partner is now Mexico, not China. I want to see us decouple much more from China but we're on a good path there. We are have the largest industrial build out here at home in the last 100 years. Our energy costs are cheaper than anywhere else in the world thanks to shale oil and natural gas. We have the capacity to feed ourselves without help from around the world, although I will miss Lebanese dates if they go away.

I understand. He got Biden to agree to an 8% cut. Some wanted more, but didn't get it. This is again a case of people letting perfect get in the way of good.

I used to have the problem with fellow Libertarians, mostly from outside of Indiana. There were some jerkwads that were the kind that would sit around on the couch eating chips and discussing philosophy and governmental overreach for 20 years but didn't do squat to run for office and make a difference at all. They'd demand that we decriminalize all drugs - today. And ANY alternative idea that moved toward that goal post without trying to advocate for ideas that would be embraced by the public they would oppose because it wasn't good enough. At the time polls showed 60% of all Americans (liberal and conservative) would support allowing sick or dying people to use marijuana for medical purposes. They would balk at moving in the direction they wanted because it wasn't everything they wanted right now. A LOT of Libertarians throw tantrums too.

McCarthy reminds me a bit of Michael Collins. Collins was sent to negotiate for Ireland's freedom and got, by his estimation, the best deal he could have. However, Eamon de Valera balked and stormed out when he lost the vote. Collins was assassinated and Ireland didn't bode well for quite some time.

--------------------

No matter who does what the next republican house speaker ought to demand, before taking the position, that the rules are reverted to what they were before McCarthy was elected. They seemed to work well before.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom