• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Practicing your (IWB) draw on a regular, frequent basis will solve this. The difference with IWB and PC is that with IWB, your gun will always be in the same place, in the same orientation, at the same distance. They're nearly apples and oranges.

With the proper holster, and clothing, my pocket carry is exactly in this state always.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I tried pocket carrying an automatic knife and couldn't get comfortable with that...Hats off to those that can pocket carry a handgun and not worry...I just can't and I was that way before I had ever heard of a gent named Kirk Freeman...

Just my 2 centavos adjusted for inflation to 3 centavos...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For me the transition from IWB tucked to pocket carry was pretty simple. I work in an office and I don't advertise that I carry. I want it to be my little secret. When I IWB tucked a G26 there was enough weight there that I had to really tighten the belt before where the gun was at would sag. I ended up having a disk slip in my back because of the pressure after a many months of carrying like this. In hindsight I don't like the idea of putting a wedge inside the belt line and cinching it up tight. I don't think it's good for my spine, but that's another topic all together.

I would agree that carrying in the pocket without a holster is stupid. For me, I use this holster: DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster Ambidextrous Glock 26 27 Kel-Tec P11 I don't use it because it's cheap, I use it because it has a lot of excellent reviews. I've trained with both a G26 and a S&W 642 using this kind of holster and the holster stays put. The holster keeps the gun oriented the same way every time, when it's in the front pocket. I have also trained with those guns in that holster when stuck in the pocket of BDU type cargo pants. There's enough room that the whole setup bounces around and even though the holster was still on the gun, the orientation wouldn't have allowed for a smooth draw. Pocket carry in cargo pants is a no-go for me.

Where I work, I can't open carry, nor do I want to be thought of as some gun owning a-hole who likes to show off his toy to seem like a big man. That's not why I have the gun on me. I also work at a place where I'm expected to have my shirt tucked in. It's casual and professional so an open carry or IWB untucked doesn't work for me. My options are 1.) Be unarmed (not good) 2.) IWB tucked (bad for back) or 3.) Pocket carry (nobody knows I'm armed, back is fine). For my situation it's a very simple decision.

I'd also tend to agree that it can be a much faster draw then anything else out there. When you've got your thumb hanging into your pockets, or have your hands in your pockets it's very simple and easy to get your hand on the gun. I've practiced the draw quite a bit and I like it. Compare it to ripping the shirt to uncover a IWB pistol and then drawing it's one less step. That doesn't mean to say that one way is going to be quicker or better for everyone, but practicing whatever you carry method you've got is what'll make the difference.

I think we can all agree that carrying in the pocket without a holster with a bunch of loose change and other crap in your pocket is stupid and unsafe. Carrying in your pocket with a holster that fits your pockets well and keeps the gun oriented the same way every time with nothing else in the pocket is a completely viable option. In case anyone is interested the pants that I've found work very well for IWB tucked or pocket carry are: Cabela's Aged Khaki Side-Elastic Flat-Front Pants : Cabela's

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I pocket carry my SR45.I use an IWB holster and the gun never moves from the position I have it in. It's easy to see I have something under my shirt,but I wear shirts long enough to cover the gun. I feel that having it on my side makes me a target for someone to run up beside me and disarm me. I would rather have it to where I am likely to get to it before that can happen,so that is why I chose to pocket carry. It may slow me down a few seconds on my draw,but If I feel I am in a dangerous situation,I will have my hand on it and my thumb on the safety ready to take the safety off and draw.
    I have never dropped the gun or had it slip out of the holster and I carry it everyday. I have tried other ways,but pocket carry just feels better to me,especially with the size of the SR45.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I love pocket carry, I use it on the very rare occasion I can't carry a bigger gun. But more than 95% of the time it acts as my BUG. If I don't have it in my pocket something feels off. It's like when you wear a watch for a long long time and then one day don't have it. Worse case scenario it's always there. Even in pajamas till my head hits the pillow (that other pistols lay next to).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... If you are caught by surprise or in a wrestling match, yes, it's slower. However, if you are concerned about a situation developing, you can appear casual but actually have your hand on your gun ready to draw. ..

Yeah, this is one of the nifty aspects of pocket carry. I knew a fellow years ago with the MI St. Police. Carried his BUG in the right front pocket. His routine at traffic stops was to approach the vehicle w/his hand casually in his pocket on the BUG.

The ability to have a full firing grip on a gun prior to the beginning of any festivities can be very helpful.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yeah, this is one of the nifty aspects of pocket carry. I knew a fellow years ago with the MI St. Police. Carried his BUG in the right front pocket. His routine at traffic stops was to approach the vehicle w/his hand casually in his pocket on the BUG.

The ability to have a full firing grip on a gun prior to the beginning of any festivities can be very helpful.

That is one of the best uses for pocket carry. A Bulldog Pug in my pocket was one of my back ups and used just how you describe. To me it is of much more use when the person you are approaching is relatively captive and unable to go hands on with you like your example of a person in a car. I would really rather not get caught with my hand in my pocket in a lot of other circumstances though.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I pocket carry my SR45.I use an IWB holster and the gun never moves from the position I have it in. It's easy to see I have something under my shirt,but I wear shirts long enough to cover the gun. I feel that having it on my side makes me a target for someone to run up beside me and disarm me. I would rather have it to where I am likely to get to it before that can happen,so that is why I chose to pocket carry. It may slow me down a few seconds on my draw,but If I feel I am in a dangerous situation,I will have my hand on it and my thumb on the safety ready to take the safety off and draw.
    I have never dropped the gun or had it slip out of the holster and I carry it everyday. I have tried other ways,but pocket carry just feels better to me,especially with the size of the SR45.

Do what? How the heck?

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Do what? How the heck?

It's a little big but it really isn't as bad as you would think. Just have to make sure the pants I wear fit right or they will sag where the gun is. I have always pocket carried,probably why I am can do it and it not bother me much.

Top Bottom