• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My guess is they have the same problem as CA, they refuse to do what's needed to clean out the underbrush and instead let "nature take it's course" or something. Morons.
    From what I remember, there's not much brush, much less underbrush, on the west part of Maui. Just scrub, drought conditions, and high winds - perfect, and perfectly tragic - recipe for wildfires. Not to mention, closely built, old wooden buildings in historic Lahaina.

Now, I'm sure the leftwing environmental policies in Hawaii might have contributed to there being no mitigation strategy for such wildfires. But IIRC trying to irrigate west Maui has always been a fool's errand.

I'm just glad that we got to see Lahaina, and the Banyan tree, before the fire. We were there not quite one year ago. I'm sure they'll rebuild, and hopefully be able to nurse the Banyan tree back to health. But everything will be different.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

The Hawaii governor is looking to acquire land in Lahaina, a seaside resort town, which was damaged by recent wildfires. The governor Josh Green announced on Monday while speaking to KHON2 News.

Green promised to stop people from other countries from coming in to take advantage of the sad situation. He thinks it’s a good idea for the state to manage the land instead.

“The buildings can be rebuilt over time, and even the banyan tree may survive, but we don’t want this to become a clear space where then people from overseas just come and decide they’re gonna take it. The state will take it and preserve it first,” Green said while standing amongst the rubble.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A whole lot of these people don't even have cars. Typical island life, not much reason to. The emergency sirens failed but frankly it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered when they were essentially driven into the sea by wind-blown fire. Tropical climate buildings burn like tinder. That's a real worst case to be caught in.
    Indeed. I believe they said that the fire moved across at 80mph due to the winds. Navada Task Force 1 is responsible for the USR and they have only cleared 30% of the ruins, with 100+ dead and another 100+ missing. This is horrible. One resident was interviewed saying there were hurricane winds and watched the winds blow a power line down. Which immediately started a fire that he had to run from it moved so fast.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Housing costs are a significant expense on Maui. The median home value on the island is approximately $700,000, which is significantly higher than the national median home value. Rent prices can also be high, especially in popular areas such as Kihei and Lahaina.Mar 19, 2023

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looking at the pictures of the burned areas, what's left of the buildings look pretty close to me. I'll confess ignorance about what the exact codes are on Maui as I've never been there. The pictures of the devastation look eerily similar to what we see in CA. Having experienced wind blown fires in Indiana at speeds in the 20 mph range I can't imagine them at 70 mph. I live in the woods, in a stone walled house, steel barns, with the woods cut back away from it.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    The main problem was a small fire fed by hurricane winds coming in off the coast. The fire was moving so fast people had no chance to save much and their egress was limited to either hopping into the ocean or trying to outrun the fire on the only real road on that side of the island. We can blame politics all you want, but that's not the cause here.

I've been to Lahaina a few times on vacation. It was a beautiful town, but there's only one road out of town (in each direction).

Agree. This was a natural tragedy caused by weather conditions and the geography of the island. Politics had nothing to do with the event itself. But of course the left will pull out all the stops to use this tragedy to their advantage. They're already all claiming it was "climate change" because they know it's a good hook to get more people to give up more rights in the name of "preventing this from happening again".

I don't believe the conspiracy theories that the leftists purposely cause these terrible disasters. But I absolutely believe they are all geared up to take full advantage of them after the fact for their twisted political purposes.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Watch what happens to your home owners premium after they start rebuilding. Insurance companies will simply increase premiums across the board in order to recoup.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    The victims are getting approached by foreign companies, trying to buy their burnt up land. They are trying yo buy up neighborhoods.
    I understand that part, but first I think the language they used is manipulative. I personally believe that all corporations ought to be treated like foreign entities, cause a corporation has no loyalty to anything other than shareholders profits at the end of the day. I see no difference in "foreign companies" trying to buy land, houses and neighborhoods vs Blackrock, State Street and Vanguard buying up houses, land, and neighborhoods all over the US.

My other concern is that if the State "tales it to preserve it" Much like Yellowstone or any of our other "Protected Areas" The People will have very limited access to it and no ownership ever again.

I think the whole affair stinks to high heavens.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Looking at the pictures of the burned areas, what's left of the buildings look pretty close to me. I'll confess ignorance about what the exact codes are on Maui as I've never been there. The pictures of the devastation look eerily similar to what we see in CA. Having experienced wind blown fires in Indiana at speeds in the 20 mph range I can't imagine them at 70 mph. I live in the woods, in a stone walled house, steel barns, with the woods cut back away from it.
    At 70-80mph your firebreak wouldn’t be enough. The wind is turning the fire into a mobile blast furnace. This was just a conflagration of terrible events happening at once. The perfect storm so to speak.

EDIT: Keep in mind this side of the island is the dry side(leeward). Almost desert like where they see minimal rain year long. Anything that could be flammable will be because it's baked in the sun and dried out. Since Lahaina is an old town, one of the original capitols, a lot of it was stick built. Very different than the concrete jungle of Oahu or the newer resorts to the south. Nothing over 3 stories tall max. Just a completely different feel than the modern cities you find elsewhere.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never have been to the islands and I probably never will, always sad to see these places burned out. I've only seen 70 mph winds once in Indiana during a bad thunderstorm, the forest fire I remember was bad enough with winds 1/3 that speed.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Never have been to the islands and I probably never will, always sad to see these places burned out. I've only seen 70 mph winds once in Indiana during a bad thunderstorm, the forest fire I remember was bad enough with winds 1/3 that speed.
    Wife and I were planning on going back to the place we started it all in 2026 (our 25th anniversary). That place is now gone. I feel for all those people that now have nothing left. Such a crazy freak thing.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I just read that biden is offering every affected family a one-time GENEROUS payment of $700 for disaster relief. Tell me again how much money he is sending to Ukraine?
    That'll pay for a fast food dinner and a hotel in Hawaii for about...one night.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I just read that biden is offering every affected family a one-time GENEROUS payment of $700 for disaster relief. Tell me again how much money he is sending to Ukraine?

He is sending the same $700... 000,000,000.00

It's really the same thing, just extra zeros that don't matter anyhow. It's zero for cripes sake.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Indeed. I believe they said that the fire moved across at 80mph due to the winds. Navada Task Force 1 is responsible for the USR and they have only cleared 30% of the ruins, with 100+ dead and another 100+ missing. This is horrible. One resident was interviewed saying there were hurricane winds and watched the winds blow a power line down. Which immediately started a fire that he had to run from it moved so fast.
    Man, I feel for the Search Dogs and their handlers. FEMA Search dogs aren't usually cross-trained as cadaver dogs, and finding so many dead bodies without finding live ones is really stressful for both the dogs and the handlers. The handlers can - and do - get PTSD counseling, but the dogs obviously don't.

Top Bottom