• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Anyone here at INGO familiar with, own or fired an MPA 971.
    I bought one recently & have some questions before I fire it.
    Also like to locate a manual for one.....Masterpiece Arms hasn't been to helpfull.

Thanks in advance

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Only about 500 made, has an AR handguard, MAC upper, FAL lower and buttstock. No front sight but has a rear sight (what?). VERY VERY heavy duty 9mm barrel. It's almost 16 pounds loaded. Uses Suomi magazines/drums. Not a practical SHTF gun but an ok plinker.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    ^^^This I already know, like to know if someone has firsthand experience handling & or fireing one.

Likes to tilt forward naturally because of the heavy barrel. There really wasn't any recoil to the one I shot. It also had an ok trigger. I really wanted to get one but that super heavy barrel literally brought it down on my list.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Thanks for the comments.
    I had took it to a LGS that I visit alot so they could have a look.

One of the guys working there was concerned about the fire control selector on the FAL lower because on the MPA971 you can move it all the way forward, cycle the bolt while holding the trigger...leading him to believe it would go bang, bang, bang right on through till the drum mag emptied.

I'm happy to say it's only a semi auto though, it won't even function past one shot with the selector moved forward all the way.

And yes....it is a heavy gun, but I prefer a heavy barreled rifle...:dunno:
    A little awkward to reach around the drum too.
    I'm hopeing I can find some coffin mags for it...shouldn't be so awkward to reach around, but the 70round drum is cool.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'd get the stick mags myself. The coffin mags are a little more collectible and therefore a little more expensive. The stick mags have a tab on them that needs filing down to fit in the magwell on the 971 but they'll work well after that. I'd buy one to tinker with if I had the money to get one.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Thanks for the tip, I was under the impression the stick & coffin mags were one in the same.
    I'm also still trying to get the nut loose that holds the handguard on.
    I'd like to add a rail below it for an add on grip....but I can't get it to back off for nothing & I'm not going to put a wrench to it.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The one I shot and finger ****ed I didn't take apart, but does the gun use a MAC bolt or a FAL bolt modified for 9mm? I'd assume a MAC one but you know what they say about assuming.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Standard MAC11 I believe?
    I've read the MAC11 is offset onthe FAL lower & the two (Mac 11/FAL) can be reused on their normal platforms.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Mine runs perfectly and is accurate to boot. These were made following the ban when there where tons of drum mags but nothing to use them with. So Masterpiece Arms designed a gun to use them.

mpa71range-1.jpg

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    What little shooting I did with mine it ran great & was very accurate as well.

What kind of grip & stock are you useing?
    Also did you pull the hand guard off your self to add the rail or sling swivel stud for the bipod?

eraserhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2015
    Northeast Corner
    This thread is a bit dated, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've owned my MPA971 for almost 10 years and loved shooting it as well as the uniqueness and reliability of the firearm. I've had it looked at by several professionals, and the best comment given was that it was obviously made very professionally, not "some guy in his basement welding parts". I can say that it has never jammed, is quite accurate with a cheap red dot sight and makes reloading a thing of the past.

Top Bottom