Marschal grip question - Am I being too picky?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Background: Ordered a set of Purpleheart (with clear shellac) grips for a Bersa 380cc that is going to my daughter.

Here is what I got:

From the left:
    Bersa.jpg

From the right:
    Bersa2.jpg

Flash on:
    grips_flash.jpg

Same grips, flash off:
    grips_noflash.jpg

Does anything there jump out at you?

BTW, the fitment and woodcrafting is flawless. The feel in the hand is superb.

P.S. Hammer is back, but gun had been cleared.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's hard to say from the pictures, but is one darker than the other? On the one hand, it's hard to get 100% consistency with wood. On the other hand, it's your money and if you feel it's sub-par quality, then see if you can return it.

ghostpoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The one on the left does appear to be slightly darker with and without the flash. If you are not happy I would see if they would take them back or try to get a better matching set.

On the other hand you could always try and try strip them down and stain them yourself since the cut is still what you wanted.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah, one is dark, one is light. Ordering was an eight week process. I can't imagine what a return with a re-order would be.

I understand exotic woods are tricky and you get what you get. But he should have used the same "stock" of wood for both halves before going to the CNC machine.

BTW, there is no stain there. Clear shellac over Purpleheart wood. Purpleheart is supposed to turn darker with age. Maybe they'll even out?

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    grips
    Those were not made from a matched piece of wood .I make grips for 1911's and that is not acceptable to me for my grips to sell.Exotic woods are sometime hard to shape because of the grain or hardness of wood but the wood color and pattern should match better than that.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yeah, for the price, I'd probably send them back. The color difference would bug the heck out of me.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    It looks to me as to be one less coat of shalack on the lighter one. Though I would be sending them back as well and I would expect some great service as well.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    The color difference is obvious and it would irritate the heck out of me. I am sure their customer service department would understand and find a better set if you sent them these photos via email. My guess is they will pay for shipping them back too.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Sending them back is problematic.

He's in Budapest. I've read that e-mail correspondence is sketchy and postage back is on my dime.

Oh well, I've sent him an e-mail. We'll see...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

Never again. Definitely a "Do Not Buy" recommendation from me.

I got my P232 grips from Marschal today. Ordered them October 31st. He must have been fitting them to some other model. Worst grip fitment I've ever seen.

Huge uneven gap at the top of the grip. Screw holes don't line up. The back side bottoms aren't the same length.

At least the color is the same on both sides. I'm e-mailing him today after I take pictures. I'll give him a chance to make good. But he's never responded to my original e-mail so I'm not holding my breath...

Left side. Note gap at top. Screw hole doesn't line up. Couldn't screw it on if I wanted to.
    DSCF4806.jpg

Right side. Gap more noticeable. Same problem with screw hole.
    DSCF4807.jpg

Closeup of screw hole.
    DSCF4809.jpg

Bottom rear.
    DSCF4812.jpg

Top rear.
    DSCF4813.jpg

You might be thinking "Surely you have them on wrong Crispy, they can't be that bad?" Nope... grips are on the only way they could possibly fit as the raised areas on the inside of the grips line up perfectly with the frame.
    DSCF4817.jpg

Even if he were to send me out another set, that still doesn't explain the workmanship on this set.

I am disappoint.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Your post update is a hair late. I just received an email that my Marschal slim grooved grips for my new CZ-83 are in my mailbox. I ordered a set they had ready made, as the choices were exactly what I wanted. Ordered on 1/15 so only a week and a half. I'll post pics soon.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up my grips and installed them. Fit is very good. I ordered a slim grip with finger grooves in walnut. They are slimmer but not much. If I ordered them again I do not think I would get the grooved version. Otherwise, fast shipping, packed well and good quality all around.

I hope to have some pics and a short range report soon.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    fool me once, shame on you....:stickpoke:

Too bad VZ doesn't make grips for those. The hogues look pretty good on that 232. If you ever wanna sell that thing, let me know!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    fool me once, shame on you....:stickpoke:

Too bad VZ doesn't make grips for those. The hogues look pretty good on that 232. If you ever wanna sell that thing, let me know!

Fool me twice, shame on me.

The P232 will never be sold. Unless my boys need an operation or something equally bad.

Top Bottom