• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    NORTH HAVEN — Longtime gun manufacturer Marlin Firearms Co. will shut its doors in June 2011, leaving 265 people without jobs.

A phase-out of operations will begin in May, First Selectman Michael J. Freda said tonight.

“The situation appears to be compounded by the fact that Connecticut is a difficult state for any manufacturer to sustain its business model,” Freda said.

He added that wage differentials, the cost of doing business and other higher costs seem to be several of the driving factors connected to the closing.

Marlin officials couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

The company started in New Haven in 1880 and was purchased by Frank Kenna and later moved to 100 Kenna Drive in North Haven.

Freda said he asked whether the services Marlin was providing would be moved, but was told that was undetermined.

State and federal officials also were contacted Thursday, according to Freda.

The Remington Arms Co. bought Marlin in late 2007. Marlin is on Kenna Drive, off Bailey Road. Remington is a North Carolina affiliate that falls under the umbrella of the Freedom Group, one of the largest manufacturers of firearms and ammunition in the world, according to its Web site.

No layoffs or closures were anticipated at the time of the $41.7 million sale.

The firearms manufacturer should not be confused with The Marlin Co., a business-to-business Internet and print publication service that operated at the plant until late 2007. Now in Wallingford because it needed more space, that company employs 120 people.

The chairman and president of The Marlin Co. is Frank Kenna III, whose grandfather, the late Frank Kenna Sr., bought Marlin Firearms at auction in 1924 when it was bankrupt. Marlin Firearms was started by John Marlin.

“I’m sure for the employees, it’s devastating,” Kenna said of the closure. “I still know a lot of them, and all I can say is I’m very sympathetic to them. It’s a tough blow.”

But, Kenna said the rifle and shotgun industry has changed over the years. “What’s happening in the industry is it’s consolidating and there are fewer and fewer individual firearms companies. The culture has changed.

“When we sold we were producing half of the number of rifles that we were in the early 1970s,” he said.

The news that Marlin will be closing comes at a bad time for North Haven, which has a $6.6 million revenue gap going into the next fiscal year.

“The timing of this news is very unfortunate as we are preparing for our upcoming budget,” Freda said.

As a result, his efforts to generate economic development in town, possibly with incremental tax financing to attract new businesses, “will be kicking into higher gear.”

Freda said he will be doing his best to urge local Marlin officials to arrange a meeting for him with the parent company.

“I would like to meet with the parent company in an effort to see if there’s any way to keep them here,” said Freda. “I can’t accept it without making an attempt,” he added.

How much tax revenue the town receives from the company annually was not immediately available. On the 2009 grand list, Marlin was ranked No. 14.

Contact Ann DeMatteo at 203-789-5716 or adematteo@newhavenregister.com.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Sad news. I hope that the leverguns make it over to Remington and still exist. Just picked up my 795 last night for my LTR build. I'll be stocking up on mags and other spare parts soon. Marlin makes some beautiful guns but I can see how it isn't sustainable in these economic times.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Man, I really hate to hear that, I've had several over the course of my lifetime and can't say I've had a problem with any of them. Still own a 336 and 1895, both are fine guns. Maybe they should have introduced an EBR line.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've actually read that the XL7's are doing very well in the entry market, too. Would not be surprised to see that line move over to Remington and replace their European imported entry rifles. Anything that prompts Savage to come up with an entire new line of rifle must be a solid product.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Read the article closely and then watch the news clip.

Marlin is NOT closing. Marlin is MOVING. They are leaving a pro-union, anti-gun Blue state and moving their production to another factory in a friendly area.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Read the article closely and then watch the news clip.

Marlin is NOT closing. Marlin is MOVING.

What news clip? I didn't see a video in the article copied above, or on the New Haven Register's website. Help me out here.

And as to moving, the only line I found that referred to it was this: "Freda said he asked whether the services Marlin was providing would be moved, but was told that was undetermined." Doesn't sound like a sure thing to me. :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What news clip? I didn't see a video in the article copied above, or on the New Haven Register's website. Help me out here.

And as to moving, the only line I found that referred to it was this: "Freda said he asked whether the services Marlin was providing would be moved, but was told that was undetermined." Doesn't sound like a sure thing to me. :dunno:

There are other news stories out there, for the google challenged among us, here is a local TV spot >>> Marlin Firearms closing Conn. plant | wtnh.com connecticut

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, I think Remington is just restructuring the manufacturing of the Marlins in a way that makes sense. Not uncommon after an acquisition. I don't get the idea that Marling is "going away" anytime soon.

As an aside, I don't understand why so many gun companies are located in anti-gun states. The historical part, I understand. Buy why newer companies have chosen to do so I don't understand.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Per another news source: The company tells News Channel 8 that they are moving the work out of state.

Yes - but I doubt they're moving the master craftsmen to go along with the work. The craftsmen make the company, not the location.

I've read a half dozen different news accounts by this point and I have yet to see anything definitive from Freedom Arms corporate that the Marlin brand will continue in any way.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Well, if they are moving or out of business :scratch:, I'm goin' to hang onto mine, because the value will go up:spend:! I also hope they bring their factory too Indiana, if they do stay in business!:patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Only time will tell I guess. I have always owned at least one Marlin, currently three and want to add another. For the money you can not beat there quality and reliability.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well, if they are moving or out of business...
    According to their own press release they are moving.

It is highly unlikely they would move to Indiana. It is very likely they would move the production of the Marlin guns into another one of the gun factories that they already own. The company that owns Marlin also owns Bushmaster, Remington, Cobb, T/C and about a half dozen others. Their own press release said it was related to the high costs of manufacturing and that the business climate for the industry looked good. I suspect the equipment would be moved into one of their existing factories and production would be streamlined.

Top Bottom