• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I bought a new 10/22 this summer, my wife bought a Model 60 at the same time.

I've found that my 10/22 is more reliable, but the Marlin is much more accurate.

The trigger on the Ruger is heavy, gritty, just not good. Front sight is crapaliscious, all but useless in the woods. The stock is fat and clunky. Despite all that, I like the gun. It just keeps working, and has lots of potential if I decide to spend the money to mod it and make it the way I want. New sights, new VQ hammer, new stock. IOW, spend roughly another $200 on it.

Frankly, if I were to buy again, it would probably be the Model 60. It works just fine without spending the extra money, and feels lighter, better balanced, and quicker handling in the woods.... but I can't customize it like I can the Ruger, which seems like it could be fun, too.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Ruger 10/22 because of the customer service of Bill Ruger and his crew. They are a pleasure to deal with in my opinion. They make a good product and I have never seen anything negative about them if there is an issue with your rifle. The 10/22 has a great reputation for reliability and is a accurate shooter as well...that is my 2 cents

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have shot both, and they are both great guns.

Marlin 60: I much prefer the trigger on the Marlin out of the box. I also find the Marlin to be more accurate out of the box. The Marlin is tube feed, so it limits you on capacity. The Marlin has cycled every ammo we have ran through it. The downside is there are not a lot of aftermarket parts.

10/22: High capacity mags are cheap and plentiful. There are a lot of modifications available for them. From triggers, stocks, barrels, etc. So, if you want to upgrade it the 10/22 winds hands down. Mine is very picky on ammo. Federal Champion seems to work the best in terms of bulk ammo. The velocitors and stingers work 100% of the time. Both will serve you will. The biggest thing is if you plan on keeping it stock. Or, you plan on upgrading it.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Joe nailed it 60 60 60. Unless you feel the need to whore it out, the Marlin Model 60 is a better choice. I have owned both and found the 60 to be more reliable. I have found the 60 to be just a shade more accurate. Personally I prefer a .22 of the bolt-action variety.

chrisu1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ah, fellow Tea Party member, thank you for the input. I am leaning towards The Marlin - at this point I have no interest in customization, although it sounds like fun down the road. Plus I like the look of the 60. Any reason not to buy used?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No reason not to buy used, the saying " don't make 'em like they used to" applies to both rifles. If i were to be looking for one I think I would prefer used.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I'd agree with everything said here. I went with the 60 years ago and love it but I wasn't after any customization.

I have shot both, and they are both great guns.

Marlin 60: I much prefer the trigger on the Marlin out of the box. I also find the Marlin to be more accurate out of the box. The Marlin is tube feed, so it limits you on capacity. The Marlin has cycled every ammo we have ran through it. The downside is there are not a lot of aftermarket parts.

10/22: High capacity mags are cheap and plentiful. There are a lot of modifications available for them. From triggers, stocks, barrels, etc. So, if you want to upgrade it the 10/22 winds hands down. Mine is very picky on ammo. Federal Champion seems to work the best in terms of bulk ammo. The velocitors and stingers work 100% of the time. Both will serve you will. The biggest thing is if you plan on keeping it stock. Or, you plan on upgrading it.

chrisu1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    I bought a new 10/22 this summer, my wife bought a Model 60 at the same time.

I've found that my 10/22 is more reliable, but the Marlin is much more accurate.

The trigger on the Ruger is heavy, gritty, just not good. Front sight is crapaliscious, all but useless in the woods. The stock is fat and clunky. Despite all that, I like the gun. It just keeps working, and has lots of potential if I decide to spend the money to mod it and make it the way I want. New sights, new VQ hammer, new stock. IOW, spend roughly another $200 on it.

Frankly, if I were to buy again, it would probably be the Model 60. It works just fine without spending the extra money, and feels lighter, better balanced, and quicker handling in the woods.... but I can't customize it like I can the Ruger, which seems like it could be fun, too.
    Thanks Joe, that's what I have been hearing. Not sure I want to spend another $200 on a $200 rifle.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    The 60 has my vote. I love my Marlin 795, which is basically a mag fed model 60. Check it out if you're interested in a mag fed.

Also check out Tech-Sights, they are amazing especially compared to the stock sights.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a 10-22 because of their reputation for reliability. Can't say I've been blown away by the accuracy, but I only shoot federal bulk pack cheapo stuff. The 10-22 will nickel and dime you to death with accessories. I bought a $40 kit ot make the trigger lighter and more criso and it really did, then I bought a $60 hogue stock. All that and the aftermarket mags are still only half arse reliable.

I grew up with a marlin 60 and it was great, but in a 22lr I want something I can just dump ammo with because it's cheap and it gets it out of my system. I'm thinking about one of the marlin 70PSS papoose rifles. Marlin accuracy, but with removable mags and a very compact design that could come in handy. You may want to look at the marlin 795's.

chrisu1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a 10-22 because of their reputation for reliability. Can't say I've been blown away by the accuracy, but I only shoot federal bulk pack cheapo stuff. The 10-22 will nickel and dime you to death with accessories. I bought a $40 kit ot make the trigger lighter and more criso and it really did, then I bought a $60 hogue stock. All that and the aftermarket mags are still only half arse reliable.

I grew up with a marlin 60 and it was great, but in a 22lr I want something I can just dump ammo with because it's cheap and it gets it out of my system. I'm thinking about one of the marlin 70PSS papoose rifles. Marlin accuracy, but with removable mags and a very compact design that could come in handy. You may want to look at the marlin 795's.
    Thanks but I really like the look of the 60 plus I like the idea of tube fed - again I'm not sure I want to dump a bunch of $ into a "cheap" .22. To me accuracy is more important.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks but I really like the look of the 60 plus I like the idea of tube fed - again I'm not sure I want to dump a bunch of $ into a "cheap" .22. To me accuracy is more important.

Nothing wrong with wanting the 60. They actually make speed loaders for tube fed 22's too. I think you'll still get great accuracy out of any marlin 22lr regardless of the action style. They've got making 22lr's down to a science.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    10/22

I have owned both and no longer have the Marlin 60. They gum up easily and are a pain to get really clean. I also use mine to shoot steel plate matches and the tube feed doesn't work for that.
    I get good accuracy out of my 10/22 and the only thing I do to mine is change the bolt buffer. Accuracy is definately dependant on what type of ammo I am using. if I want good groups then I use Wolf or one of the expensive ammos but i usually just use the Federal bulk pack from Wal-mart

chrisu1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    Nothing wrong with wanting the 60. They actually make speed loaders for tube fed 22's too. I think you'll still get great accuracy out of any marlin 22lr regardless of the action style. They've got making 22lr's down to a science.
    Can I pick up the speed loader at a Dick's or Gander or is that something I would find online?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had one similar to it growin up with my model 60. It takes a while loading it up, but it makes life easier if you want to dump as much ammo as fast as possible.

Top Bottom