• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tparell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Hey y'all, I am in the market for a 22 for plinking. What do y'all know about the marlins. Good, bad...etc?
    Any input helps. Thanks.

Catfish33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Clifford, In
    In my opinion you can not go wrong with a Marlin .22lr bolt action rifle. I have a model 25 and it is probably my most accurate rifle of any caliber. It does have the Marlin Micro Groove rifling.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have sung the praises of the Marlin 795 for quite some time. I think it is a top notch selection for a magazine fed .22LR plinking rifle. Best under $150 .22LR rifle on the market. Might be best under $250 .22LR rifle on the market.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Even the Papoose take down rifles are good.
    I've got a couple of those.
    They have 16 inch barrels, a floating carry case that makes it easy to transport and they're stainless too.
    And now Promag just came out with some 25 round magazines that really work.
    The Marlin 795 is a good reliable plinker for about $119.

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I have had two Marlin 795's. I love the one that was made in Ky. It is accurate and shoots any .22lr ammo. I had one made in CT. It had issues with the mag. disconnect safetyI had to send it back to Marlin and they could not fix it and had to destroy it. They are clearly marked on the barrel where they are built.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Marlin 795 ...i have one that I put a bunch of aftermarket stuff on and its accurate out to 300 yards and after that ist a problem with the 22lr round not the rifle. I have several thousand rounds through mine in about 8 months....no issues.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've had a 795 for about a year. I prefer a mag feed vs the 60 with the tube feed because it's easier and faster to switch out mags and as said upthread, 25 round mags are available now.

Mine has been 100% reliable. Be sure to use the suggested ammo. I've heard that makes a difference but I wouldn't know because I only use what Marlin recommends.

Good little rifle. Accurate and dependable and maybe $100 less tnan a 10/22.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    In my opinion you can not go wrong with a Marlin .22lr bolt action rifle. I have a model 25 and it is probably my most accurate rifle of any caliber. It does have the Marlin Micro Groove rifling.

I have the same. Love the rifle. Shoots anything. Accurate. My 18-year-old told me he wants the gun when I die. I keep telling him that I'm leaving it to my grandson!
    :rockwoot:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got a 39A which is my favorite gun. I've also got a Marlin bolt gun which was my son's. It has a beautiful walnut stock and blued action for something so inexpensive. Maybe one of these days I can find a Marlin M99 ( a model 60-like rifle made to resemble an M-1 carbine).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a Marlin Model 60 that I bought for $109 in 1993. Thousands of round later, I can count the FTF or FTEs one hand. Shoots everything, accurate, fun. Mine's a 14 shot, but I guess the present ones are 10 rounds (is that right?).

Top Bottom