• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bgyfz450

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Evansville,in
    I'm looking to buy a marlin 1894-S off of the Internet and I was wanting to know the value or a website so I can find the value before I buy the gun. They have it starting out at $450 with no reserve. The SN is 020857**. I found a website that said take the first 2 digits and subtract from 100 so this gun would have been made in 1998. Is this true and if so what would the value of the gun be? Thanx for all your help.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    What caliber is it? At the last Indy 1500 there were Marlin levers in most calibers available for beween $600-$750. The hard ones to find are the octagon barrel and may cost more. The ones I watched on autions typically went for over $1k. Value will also be determined by the amount of wear if it is used. Hope that helps.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The S stands for safety. Cross bolt safety
    Marlin is currently not making levers except for the 336y and 336-A. In Indiana you can't get one for 450 because of the PCR rule for deer hunting. They move fast.

There was a walker at the Indy 1500 who had a remington production 1894 cs 357 for 450 but he would not let me cycle my handloads in it before purchase so I did not buy it.

The ballard rifling is mainly good if you shoot lead cast bullets. The microgroove works best with jacketed rounds. Either are capible of cloverleaf groups at 50 yards.

MisterFurious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Goshen/North Dakota
    The auction you linked to is probably about as good as you're gonna get, unless you're willing to scour the ends of the earth. That's a very clean gun, the metal looks great. I watch the 1894's on GB constantly, and if you can stay under $500 on one this nice, you're doing ok. Serial #02 is a 98 model.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    I watch the 1894's on GB constantly, and if you can stay under $500 on one this nice, you're doing ok. Serial #02 is a 98 model.

I am looking for a 1894 357mag in stainless steel or the 1894cp with ports. how much of a premium is stainless or the ports. my son got a marlin limited in 44mag which is really cool and now I want a levergun, but 44 kicks a little too much for me.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    The S stands for safety. Cross bolt safety
    Marlin is currently not making levers except for the 336y and 336-A. In Indiana you can't get one for 450 because of the PCR rule for deer hunting. They move fast.

There was a walker at the Indy 1500 who had a remington production 1894 cs 357 for 450 but he would not let me cycle my handloads in it before purchase so I did not buy it.

The ballard rifling is mainly good if you shoot lead cast bullets. The microgroove works best with jacketed rounds. Either are capible of cloverleaf groups at 50 yards.

Hmmmm I thought the "S" stood for "Stainless".....I have an 1894-P....and in that case it stood for "Ported"....Please help me if I am wrong on this?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I am looking for a 1894 357mag in stainless steel or the 1894cp with ports. how much of a premium is stainless or the ports. my son got a marlin limited in 44mag which is really cool and now I want a levergun, but 44 kicks a little too much for me.

I have one of the 1894-P's in 44 and it took me four months to find....finally found it on Gunbroker from a guy on the east coast......this was three years ago and with the current market what it is you can plan on spending double for these, they are hard to find....if I am correct they were only made for about three years in the early 90's.......glad I got mine when I did!!!! Got a great deal on it and have just been watching my investment go up....the nice thing about the P's is the limited production time and low market saturation always helps....that and THEY ARE COOL!!!! Nothing like taking a Red Rider B.B. gun into the wood and coming out with a deer.......The down side of these is due to the 16.25" barrel you cannot use them in cowboy action shoots due to mag. capacity.....just something to keep in mind.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I bought a slightly used Marlin .44 at the last 1500 for $650 and it had a mount and rings already on it. (I put a 2-7x Redfield on it but I think I may take it off and put on a peep site instead) Across the isle they had blued and stainless, 357 and 44 in the price ranges I mentioned earlier. Also, They have the .44 regularly at Gander Mountain and I know the Cabelas up north had the blued 357 for like $600? in stock a few months ago. Most of the time the stainless is about $100 more than the blued.

MisterFurious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Goshen/North Dakota

The 357's with the ports are pretty scarce; there was one on Armslist in St. Louis late last week for $550, which is a heck of a deal. Never heard back from the guy... Usually they run at least $650. They were only made from 01 to 02, I believe. IMO, the ports aren't necessary on a 357; buy a regular one and have a gunsmith take it down to 16.25" if you want the short barrel.

Most of the stainless 44's I see are new, or next to it. You'll be in one for 7 bills + by the time you pick it up. I got lucky; found one at a gun shop locally on consignment, the guy said it wouldn't group. I picked it up for $475 in almost perfect shape. Turns out the guy was just a lousy shot...

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    IMO, the ports aren't necessary on a 357; buy a regular one and have a gunsmith take it down to 16.25" if you want the short barrel.

Most of the stainless 44's I see are new, or next to it. You'll be in one for 7 bills + by the time you pick it up. I got lucky; found one at a gun shop locally on consignment, the guy said it wouldn't group. I picked it up for $475 in almost perfect shape. Turns out the guy was just a lousy shot...

good idea, I really like the idea of a stainless level gun and will keep looking for a pre-remington model

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    IN 44 mag the 1894 s is blued and crossbolt safety. 1894 ss is the stainless version.

In the 357 the 1894-cs is blued and the 1894-css is the stainless.

Marlin is a little funny when it comes to model numbers. Until they added the cross bolt safety it made more sense.

Top Bottom