• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I remember reading an article on this subject a few years ago. It seems the Corps was wanting to get back to the idea of a BAR instead of a light machine gun. If I'm not mistaken, FN designed the SAW as a 7.62mm machine gun. I want to say that SEAL units have used the 7.62mm version, but I'm not certain. It will be interesting to see how all of this turns out.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I carried the M60 and later the SAW. I'll take the M60 any day. Better reliability, more powerful round, longer range, more versatile.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    That is sustained fire, not cyclic rate. Cyclic is probably in the 600-800 rounds per minute range. The idea is burst fire from a full auto weapon, (which we already do to keep the barrel from overheating)

6-9 round bursts, Die Mother FER Die....at least that's what I was taught.

Heavy? I carried a M60 and then was issued a SAW that POS was light!

When I was at basic I saw a M60....In the museum:D

Beat me to it!

I remember reading an article on this subject a few years ago. It seems the Corps was wanting to get back to the idea of a BAR instead of a light machine gun. If I'm not mistaken, FN designed the SAW as a 7.62mm machine gun. I want to say that SEAL units have used the 7.62mm version, but I'm not certain. It will be interesting to see how all of this turns out.

The 249 or SAW is 5.56, the 240 replaced the M60 which is 7.62. Do the marines use the 240?

I carried the M60 and later the SAW. I'll take the M60 any day. Better reliability, more powerful round, longer range, more versatile.
    I would take the 240 over the 249 too!

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis

What you're talking about is the M240B, basically just the beefed up version of a 249 SAW. They're in pretty common usage throughout the US Military, especially as back ups to crew served weapons on top of vehicles.

As for the article, anybody that thinks a SAW is inaccurate has never fired one. While it's certainly not as accurate as an M16 or similar rifle, it's not shabby by any means. And as for reliability, I'd probably argue it's more reliably than an M16 as long as it's properly maintained. The open bolt firing mechanism just allows a greater margin of error for debris and dirtiness.

I really do think this is a mistake on the marines part. It will require a complete redesign of the fire team concept and could be exceptionally difficult to put into practice. I know I'd be nervous not having 200 rounds at my back in an infantry fire team.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    What you're talking about is the M240B, basically just the beefed up version of a 249 SAW. They're in pretty common usage throughout the US Military, especially as back ups to crew served weapons on top of vehicles.

As for the article, anybody that thinks a SAW is inaccurate has never fired one. While it's certainly not as accurate as an M16 or similar rifle, it's not shabby by any means. And as for reliability, I'd probably argue it's more reliably than an M16 as long as it's properly maintained. The open bolt firing mechanism just allows a greater margin of error for debris and dirtiness.

I really do think this is a mistake on the marines part. It will require a complete redesign of the fire team concept and could be exceptionally difficult to put into practice. I know I'd be nervous not having 200 rounds at my back in an infantry fire team.

If you will check out this link, you will see that FN does make a 7.62mm version of the SAW.

Machine Guns

I knew my mind wasn't going. I've been reading the gun mags and Soldier of Fortune since the late 70's.

The M-240 wasn't designed from the SAW or MINIMI. It was designed from the Browning Automatic Rifle!

Oddly enough, I used an M-240 before they were standard issue in the U.S. military. I was a Marine Corps tanker. I attended tank school at Ft. Knox from January-March of 1986. The M60A-1 tank I was on used an M-240 coax gun. We were the only tank in the company that had one. I never saw another one after that. At Camp Lejeune, my tank had the standard M-60E2 coax gun. I have no idea where the M-240 came from or how it got on a tank at Ft. Knox.

The M-240 has been around for a long time. The rest of the world knows it as the FN MAG 58. The 58 stands for the year it came out, 1958.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    HMMMMMM must have missed something back in my day as I carried a PIG and all the ammo I could. When years later they brought out the SAW, while I no longer carried an M-60, I thought the SAW was neat but that it should be augumented with the M-60 in the squad level. Now they of course have the 240 LMG and SAW system out there so if there are those saying the SAW was fun to carry around from point A to Point B and beyond, I wish on you the experience of the M-60 system of old (of course older Vets feel free to chime in about the M-1917A1 or the Lewis/Vickers gun).

Maybe this will be better than sliced bread, only time will tell.

Last edited:

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    The SAW is not being ditched, it is being replaced in selected roles by the IAR. Company commanders will have the choice to use either weapon, and the weapon will remain the standard light machine gun for weapons platoons.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    If I'm not mistaken, FN designed the SAW as a 7.62mm machine gun. I want to say that SEAL units have used the 7.62mm version, but I'm not certain.
    Yes, it is called the Minimi, or Mk 48.
    6-9 round bursts, Die Mother FER Die....at least that's what I was taught.
    Yessir!
    What you're talking about is the M240B, basically just the beefed up version of a 249 SAW.
    Negative. The bravo weighs 26lb and looks like this:
    m240b.jpg

The Mk 48 weighs 18lb and looks like this:

800px-Mk_48_PEO_Soldier.jpg

FWIW, the sliding butt stock version is pretty slick:

7.62mm-MINIMI-Sliding-Rail.jpg

If you will check out this link, you will see that FN does make a 7.62mm version of the SAW.

Machine Guns
    Exactly.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The 249 would run on standard M16 mags too, so really they are only giving up the higher rate of fire for more compatibility, and less weight on the backs of the infantry automatic rifleman.
    As long as they still have the M2 and 240G for defensive and vehicle mounted weapons, then I dont really see that they are loosing anything.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    HMMMMMM must have missed something back in my day as I carried a PIG and all the ammo I could. When years later they brought out the SAW, while I no longer carried an M-60, I thought the SAW was neat but that it should be augumented with the M-60 in the squad level. Now they of course have the 240 LMG and SAW system out there so if there are those saying the SAW was fun to carry around from point A to Point B and beyond, I wish on you the experience of the M-60 system of old (of course older Vets feel free to chime in about the M-1917A1 or the Lewis/Vickers gun).

Maybe this will be better than sliced bread, only time will tell.

Nothing wrong with the 1917A1 unless you have to move it.;) Feed it ammo and bullets and it will pretty much shoot all day.

Best of the lot is still the MG42.:)

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    The SAW is not being ditched, it is being replaced in selected roles by the IAR. Company commanders will have the choice to use either weapon, and the weapon will remain the standard light machine gun for weapons platoons.

This. The SAW is not going away. Nothing like the "errornet" for spreading inaccurate info. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom