• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I wonder how much their tactics are going to have to change. Fire and maneuver seemed to be built around the SAW with 200 round magazine and rate of fire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    For a 30 rd auto M16 on steroids that doesn't accept PMAGS! Idiots...

Not sure on the reliability on the M27 .... But if 2 major complaints for the last guns they were using are " It isn’t accurate, and takes too long to get working after jams" then i think its time to replace the old guns. If your in a gun fight and your gun jams, thats already a ****ty situation, adding to that it takes excessive time to unjam and get back in to the fight. That is just unacceptable. again, not saying the M27 is the correct answer, but something needs to change.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Worst part about the SAW was carrying it. It was always reliable for me and damn fun to shoot.

+1 on the fun to shoot. Made it worth carrying that heavy thing.
    MewithaSAW.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Shouldn't the headline be: Marines switch weapons for the role of SAW? Since SAW just = Squad Automatic Weapon?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    SAW is synonymous with the M249, so the designation will probably stick with it.

I don't disagree...because the M249 has been "the SAW" for a lot of years now.

The M249 can still be a SAW when it's replaced with another firearm that'll be called "the SAW". :D

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I don't disagree...because the M249 has been "the SAW" for a lot of years now.

The M249 can still be a SAW when it's replaced with another firearm that'll be called "the SAW". :D

They're calling the replacement the IAR - infantry automatic rifle.

Similar thing with the original SMAW. The replacement was called the SMAW II, instead of just becoming the new SMAW.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    40 rounds per minute for 600 rounds, or 28 rounds per minute when the temperature is more than 100 degrees.

Did somebody do their math wrong, or is this correct?

Because I'm pretty sure I can put out more than 40 rounds a minute with my pistol, if I have loaded mags handy....that firing rate SUCKS.

The mag thing has me worried too; I feel like this is just going to wind up being a slightly less-accurate M16 at this point.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    That is sustained fire, not cyclic rate. Cyclic is probably in the 600-800 rounds per minute range. The idea is burst fire from a full auto weapon, (which we already do to keep the barrel from overheating) but the capability to dump 30-100 rounds rapidly if need be. The AR/M16 platform is quick to reload, so an Infantryman equipped with 12-20 30 round magazines can easily keep a steady amount of cover fire. The reloads take about the same amount of time a pause in bursts of fire would be. Also, being able to carry several magazines in different locations of the body (legs, chest, sides, midriff, butt pack, ruck sack) spreads out the weight, which allows for less fatigue on the Infantryman, as opposed to keeping 2-4 200 round belts in nut baskets around your midriff.

Those Surefire 60 and 100 rd magazines, C-mags, and similar truly high capacity magazines are probably being field tested also. 8 of those Surefire 100 rounders, or 13-14 of the 60s would be ideal. The typical Rifleman is already carrying 8-12 30 rounders (240-360 rounds) around the lower front portion of his LBV, while the typical SAW man has 2-4 200 round "nut baskets" You could run ~8 of the 60-100 rounders right there in front (although the 100s would be a little long), and have two on each leg in a shingle, or in your pack as backups.

Top Bottom