• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    May be if he'd been wearing a blaze orange 4'x4' flag on a pole 6 feet above his head he'd have not been killed.

Somebody see if IDHA can ram that requirement through, "If it'll save just one..."

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I see. As I say, I think it is a wise choice to wear it, especially if hunting public land where other hunters will be in reasonably close proximity. I don't really care for the idea of it being mandatory however.

I don't like much of anything being mandatory but I always wore something orange even during archery season, 20 feet up a tree, while on private land (that didn't have trespassers until my aunt bought the property after grandma and grandpa died, guess they didn't like the extreme briar growth out there...deer seemed to love it). I'd rather look like a tool and greatly reduce my chances of getting shot by some hyped up jackwagon.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I don't like much of anything being mandatory but I always wore something orange even during archery season, 20 feet up a tree, while on private land (that didn't have trespassers until my aunt bought the property after grandma and grandpa died, guess they didn't like the extreme briar growth out there...deer seemed to love it). I'd rather look like a tool and greatly reduce my chances of getting shot by some hyped up jackwagon.

I hear ya. That's why I bought the inserts for my coat. Better safe than shot, but yeah, the mandatory thing, just not digging it. It's Mandatory down in NC where I have my property too. I mean, I understand that the hunter per population is most likely much higher in states like IN or NC compared to NY, but it just seems surprising to me is all. You'd think if anywhere was gonna mandate what you had to wear it would be the land of the criminal big gulp.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I see. As I say, I think it is a wise choice to wear it, especially if hunting public land where other hunters will be in reasonably close proximity. I don't really care for the idea of it being mandatory however.

I had a coworker who said he went hunting on public land in Georgia. There was a big pipeline of some sort running through the middle of it and had a clearing on both sides of it like they do for power lines running through a woods. He said he walked out there at o dark thirty with his 300 win mag in the dark and set up on a tree right next to the clearing. He talked like when the sun come up, there was hunter orange at every other tree along that pipeline and he's got a 300 win mag.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Sadly, I've never hunted, working with church friend to change that, anyway, is it really that easy to mistake a person for a deer? Sorry if that sounds sarcastic or stupid, but again, never hunted, seems like you wouldn't take a shot @ something you couldn't really see.

Common sense doesn't apply to all hunters. IF you know your target and IF you know what is beyond your target, this should never happen.

I only take a shot where I KNOW that anywhere the bullet may go, it will stop safely. This means not shooting a moving brush. Not shooting at a skylined animal, HOPING that you don't miss and the bullet doesn't go through.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    It's sad to hear something like that, no matter when or how. I always tell my kids, if you are not sure what you're looking at, DON'T touch the trigger.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Purdue Country Rural Attica
    I'm told by a co worker who's daughter knows the family , the man was shot in the head. Murder made to look like an accident ? Seems fishy.

My condolences to the family. This young man will have to cope with this traumatic experience the rest of his life.

I'll agree. IMO, this doesn't seem to be a hunting accident. I help with our local Hunter Education program and we have ALWAYS taught that the humane and ethical shot placement on a DEER is the heart/lung area. :dunno: Also, why did the adult have the firearm in the 1st place?

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am bumping this up for a reason. I can't say more than that, but please don't let it fall off the edge of the net for awhile. It needs to be easily found in a quick skim of INGO for the next few weeks. Thanks.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Wow the rumors are flying now! Out of respect for the family who may be on this forum lets keep the rumor flinging out of this! And yes I do know the family.

QUOTE=MrsGungho;3391523]I've heard there is a lot more to the story. Possible paid hit.[/QUOTE]

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    No there has not. Mods some of the rumors in this thread are getting really out of hand. I do know the family and some of those involved first hand. Could this thread be closed and if people would like a firearms/hunting saftey thread let them start a new thread to refresh everyones memory on this importan topic. Thank you

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom