• cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    From the WISH article:

"The man, Jerry Henderson, 44, asked the intruder what he was doing in their home. The man told the couple he had been evicted and he had been told by the landlord to kick them out."

That sentence makes no sense whatsoever. Told the couple they had been evicted, maybe? Doesn't anyone proofread anymore?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I certainly hope it never happens at my house. Really don't want to ever shoot anyone, let alone kill them. The way I have trained I would seriously doubt anyone I would have to shoot in self defense would survive. I always practiced shooting at the torso - twice - with my 45. In the very short distance encountered in a home defense situation, it would be hard to miss and two 45's in the chest probably would kill most.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My comment on the WTHR report:

Let's see... The perp alledgedly broke into the house brandishing a crowbar and the police are questioning the shooter?

Of course we're questioning the shooter. Unlike the media, we don't magically know everything and tend to ask questions to put the pieces together.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Of course we're questioning the shooter. Unlike the media, we don't magically know everything and tend to ask questions to put the pieces together.

How much weight do forum posts about making sure you execute intruders so they can't tell their side of the story carry?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The intruder was not immediately identified. He was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital in critical condition for a gunshot wound in the abdomen.

Now it says abdomen, but even if he hit him in the leg, it doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad shot. The perp could have swung and he fired while ducking or something. Just sayin'.

The important thing here is that because the home owner had a gun, he stopped the guy with a crowbar, who may have well been bigger, younger, and stronger. That is why we have guns, to stop an attack, and it appeared to work just fine in this case. The home owner and his wife are not in the hospital with blunt force trauma to the head...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've read the article and comments; I have the following thoughts:

Never bring a crowbar to a gunfight.
    People who serve eviction notices don't bring crowbars, they bring paper (and sometimes the police).
    Lock your storm door. That looks like one from Lowes, has a lock. More noise by the bad guys=more time for the good guys.
    Door: standard, had a dead-bolt. How long did it take to gain entry?

Lady in Georgia a while back emptied a .38 on a bad guy with a crowbar, he managed to leave under his own power.

On that subject (short story here, I like stories), in 1973 my Grandma (in her late-50s at the time, she passed away at 97) discovered a neighbors house had been broken into (they were in the process of moving, back door kicked in, WAY out in the country, G-ma was dropping something off for them). In her statement to the deputy (Clyde Nichols, former Washington County Sheriff) she said, "If someone breaks into my house they may not be dead when you get there, but I'll guarantee you they won't walk out."

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Now it says abdomen, but even if he hit him in the leg, it doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad shot. The perp could have swung and he fired while ducking or something. Just sayin'.

The important thing here is that because the home owner had a gun, he stopped the guy with a crowbar, who may have well been bigger, younger, and stronger. That is why we have guns, to stop an attack, and it appeared to work just fine in this case. The home owner and his wife are not in the hospital with blunt force trauma to the head...

THIS.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How much weight do forum posts about making sure you execute intruders so they can't tell their side of the story carry?

...none with me. Its either a good shoot or its not. Of course if you finish them off, I'm not going to be the one to investigate it. I only take the ones who are shot/stabbed but live.

I will say that if its questionable, there are cyber-crimes guys I can ask to look into your social media stuff. However you're more likely to run into issues with the media than with the police based on your spoutings on the Internet. If it makes hay with the prosecutor or not depends on the prosecutor.

Top Bottom