• ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I don't know how else to say this.

You're advocating forced confinement because you claim that it was necessary to stop the spread of TB.

I want you to back it up. How do you know that it was necessary?

I asked you how many people were forcibly confined because that would give us an idea of whether or not it was necessary. If 95% of quarantined people were there voluntarily then you really can't make the claim that involuntary confinement is what stopped the TB epidemic.

Again, if you want to claim that allowing people with a communicable, deadly disease to walk around while others are quarantined will somehow allow the quarantine to be effective you are welcome to make the case. My case is made by history. So far you've given nothing except wishes.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Here is a little history...Just a general background...Starts off with Canada...Louisville had a huge TB Hospital (as any ghost hunter that watches sci fi should know)..

TB diagnosis once meant a lonely confinement Patients sent hundreds of miles from home to recover from illness | Windspeaker - AMMSA: Indigenous news, issues and culture.

There is a former TB Hospital just south of Richmond on 27. The main hospital part was empty when I got to see inside it, but the doctor's and nurses' quarters, which were on the property, but separated, were turned into apartments. When I got to tour the hospital some yeas ago, it was pretty interesting. There was a round door in the wall on each floor that looked like a big commercial dryer door, and inside the door was a large tubular glass-lined chute that went to a furnace in the basement. The guy said that all the linens, towels and stuff were burned in the furnace.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I wasn't aware that Holiday lived in the early 1900s.

Didn't you know? He faked his death so he could escape notoriety and he lived a quite life as a mail clerk in Joplin Missouri. He died at the age of 85 in 1936. One thing that many don't know is that Doc never really did have TB, he just smoked a lot.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I disagree.

I can wear a mask. I can wash my hands carefully. I can avoid contract with others. I can travel, isolated in my vehicle, only to places where the property owner allows me to reside. I can carry on with my life and even my work while putting no one else at risk.

A person can be sick and contagious and take precautions to avoid infecting others, just like a person can carry around an extremely powerful handgun without shooting people.

[/B]

You may not have a 'right' to walk around spreading an infectious disease, but you do have a right to walk around...don't you?

Just like you don't have a 'right' to walk around shooting people, but you do have a right to walk around while carrying a handgun...don't you?

If you carry your handgun responsibly and don't harm people, should we infringe upon your rights?

If you are ill and go about your life responsibly and are cautious not to infect others, should we infringe upon your rights?
    What if they go about their life irresponsibly? You stated what seem to be your guidelines for responsible behavior in the previous post. What if a patient goes into crowded areas without mask, without personal hygiene, without any sort of precautions whatsoever? If you are ill and go about your life irresponsibly and are not cautious not to infect others, what should be done with you?

That, by the way, is exactly what the man mentioned in the original article did. He broke your very own guidelines.

You are insistent upon the handgun comparison. Let's imagine for a moment it was treated like that. Walk around without precautions, if somebody catches it and dies you're charged for the death. Just as if you carry a firearm irresponsibly and end up killing someone. That sound fair to you? It makes sense if you actually hold your comparison to be valid.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    My case is made by history.

Then provide a source already showing that forced confinement saved us all from death by tuberculosis.

Am I supposed to accept your opinion as fact?

What if they go about their life irresponsibly? You stated what seem to be your guidelines for responsible behavior in the previous post. What if a patient goes into crowded areas without mask, without personal hygiene, without any sort of precautions whatsoever? If you are ill and go about your life irresponsibly and are not cautious not to infect others, what should be done with you?

Courts and juries exist to provide justice for anyone harmed.

You are insistent upon the handgun comparison. Let's imagine for a moment it was treated like that. Walk around without precautions, if somebody catches it and dies you're charged for the death. Just as if you carry a firearm irresponsibly and end up killing someone. That sound fair to you? It makes sense if you actually hold your comparison to be valid.

I think it is more reasonable than locking up every handgun owner just in case they are irresponsible. Don't you?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Then provide a source already showing that forced confinement saved us all from death by tuberculosis.

Since I never claimed this I will accept it as another attempt on your part to beclown yourself again.

Am I supposed to accept your opinion as fact?

Well, you can deny history if you choose. No one is stopping you.

Courts and juries exist to provide justice for anyone harmed.

Thats' so kindhearted for the survivors to know.

I think it is more reasonable than locking up every handgun owner just in case they are irresponsible. Don't you?

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of beclowning yourself.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    30,000+ people in the USA die every year from the FLU, what are we going to do about it?

considering the vastly different parameters of the flu and tb it's hard to see how a solution for one works as well as a solution to the other. I once knew a man who claimed that we could reduce the amount of drownings each year by forcing everyone to wear seat belts while swimming but not too many people paid attention to him.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    considering the vastly different parameters of the flu and tb it's hard to see how a solution for one works as well as a solution to the other. I once knew a man who claimed that we could reduce the amount of drownings each year by forcing everyone to wear seat belts while swimming but not too many people paid attention to him.

But the flu is an epidemic, drowning is not.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

A comment has been made that I believe requires some consideration before anyone moves blithely along.

"The Constitution is not a suicide pact."

I believe the originator of this phrase was a Supreme Court Judge, although I could be mistaken.

For sometime after hearing it I found myself vaguely agreeing with it, yet something was gnawing at the back of my brain telling me something was not right.

Our freedoms and liberties are worth killing for. We have fought wars and sent thousands upon thousands of men and women off to foreign lands to defend liberty. We are willing to kill for our Constitution. This is the embodied force many of us who support the 2A are constantly preaching to others as a necessity to protect our bodies and our liberties. So obviously we are willing to kill to defend the Constitution and the liberties it was created to defend.

Yet, are we not willing to die for them? Who exists that has found what they perceive as a just or righteous cause is unwilling to die for it? Steel workers under Carnegie were willing to fight and die for better working conditions. Fire, police, and rescue workers daily put their lives on the line to defend the victims of hostile aggression or an unfortunate fate of circumstance such as a natural disaster or accident. It is NOT just our military who risks all for a pure cause with a good heart.

However, our military does embody and proudly proclaim to themselves and the world that we are willing to lay down our lives for those freedoms and liberties that we love so much. It is in our Code of Conduct that every service man or woman must read and recite. As I served some time ago my memory may be a little off but it goes basically so:

"I am an American fighting man. I serve in the forces that guard our country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense."

It is this bold portion that I draw our attention to. We are willing to die for our rights, freedoms and liberties.

It is with this in mind that I have come to believe that the Constitution is INDEED a suicide pact. It is for some of us a document that says we are willing to kill in defense of these great liberties. AND we are willing to DIE for them as well.

If I need to risk death by a terrorist attack as the price of protecting my liberty - so be it.

If I need to risk an accident by keeping a firearm in my home - so be it.

If I need to risk hearing something I find offensive as the price of liberty - so be it.

If we aren't willing to die for freedom, then indeed it is not a suicide pact. If we are willing to die in the defense of liberty then YES, it IS a suicide pact.

Regards,

Doug

PS - This is NOT meant to address more than it has in this thread. The threat of a highly contagious and deadly disease is somewhat akin to firing a gun in a crowded room and needs to be addressed in a manner we can live with. The ONLY point I want to make is on the Constitution as a suicide pact and provoke some thoughtful introspection.

PPS - For myself, after thoughtful consideration it IS a suicide pact.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    But the flu is an epidemic, drowning is not.

But the flu is not the same at tb even if the end results are the same, as drowning accident is not the same as a car wreck accident even if the end results are the same. This is not rocket science, bk.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    I suggest a private, one on one meeting between this man and the Illinois Governor in a small, enclosed and secured room.

It would provide an opportunity for them to discuss their different views of the matter and each would walk away with a better understanding of the other's point of view.

Heck, I would even sponsor their dinner!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    But the flu is not the same at tb even if the end results are the same, as drowning accident is not the same as a car wreck accident even if the end results are the same. This is not rocket science, bk.

No, it is not.

From the CDC

In 2009, there were 529 deaths attributed to TB and a death
    rate of 0.2 per 100,000 people.

Less than 11,000 people infected with TB in 2011, and there are 3 times the number of deaths from the flu each year than there are infections of TB. Why is everyone in panic mode?

Last edited:

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Millions have been getting vaccinated every year and yet the death rate remains the same. In 2009, like posted above, less than 600 people died from TB in the U.S.

It could possibly mean that without the vacs the death numbers would be higher, pending vaccination numbers are somewhat constant. The vax itself is merely an educated guess on which flu types will go around as well. I would guess there's a stigma with having TB while the flu is an expectation so we just tolerate it, regardless how bad it is.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It could possibly mean that without the vacs the death numbers would be higher, pending vaccination numbers are somewhat constant. The vax itself is merely an educated guess on which flu types will go around as well. I would guess there's a stigma with having TB while the flu is an expectation so we just tolerate it, regardless how bad it is.

Yep. There are millions dead from TB world wide but less than 600 a year here apparently. I have a better chance of hitting the damn lottery it seems than getting TB but everyone is :runaway:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yep. There are millions dead from TB world wide but less than 600 a year here apparently. I have a better chance of hitting the damn lottery it seems than getting TB but everyone is :runaway:
    The reason it's so hard to get TB here is because everybody is always so :runaway: when it pops up. We nip it in the bud before it can spread any appreciable amount.

Top Bottom