• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I WAS supposed to fly to Lima, Peru this coming Monday to work for 2 weeks. A MAJOR step up for me at work. Not now, the doctor informed me today my gall bladder HAS to come out NOW. He said no way I should go out of the country since it could become infected and that might be dangerous.

Question I have is, anyone here had this done and what did you have to change diet wise? Doctor says low fat from now on, does that mean no pizza?:( No cheeseburgers?:( He said some have no problems, and some do.

Wonder which one I'll be.:rolleyes: Sorry I'm a "glass half empty" kind of guy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I WAS supposed to fly to Lima, Peru this coming Monday to work for 2 weeks. A MAJOR step up for me at work. Not now, the doctor informed me today my gall bladder HAS to come out NOW. He said no way I should go out of the country since it could become infected and that might be dangerous.

Question I have is, anyone here had this done and what did you have to change diet wise? Doctor says low fat from now on, does that mean no pizza?:( No cheeseburgers?:( He said some have no problems, and some do.

Your diet will probably have to change at least a little, but it's not as big of a deal as you'd think. Also, the surgery is a piece of cake. Don't sweat it.

Note: I have not had it, but two people close to me have and their diet and lifestyle were largely unaffected by it.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    My ex mother in law had it and she could not tolerate ANY greasy foods after hers came out. Hopefully you'll still be able to partake in the good stuff!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My dad had his removed years ago. Not a huge issue, depending on how it's done. Laparascopically is the easiest and least intrusive method, with a better recovery time. The old fashioned zipper method is another story. That's where they open you up to remove it. That one takes a while to recover from. You should go to a lower fat diet, but you won't have to remove all fat. Just cut down to a lower level. Stay around 30 grams tops, per day. Lower if you can get it. Some folks have issues with fat after the removal. My dad pretty much eats what fats he wants, but not to excess. A couple of slices of pizza probably won't kill ya. Hope it all goes well!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Doctor told me I had to have mine removed the summer before last. Woke up in hotel after a steak dinner the night before and thought I was having a heart attack. My MIL is a ND and gave me some hippy granola advice and I still have my gall bladder today and no issues. It was a week of juices and olive oil & lemon juice shots, but when they put me under the scope again, the stones were gone. Doctor was stunned.

I read that I may have chronic diarrhea for the rest of my life as a result of the surgery, so I was happy to try something else first. I'd be happy to dig up the concoctions and share them if you're interested.

afret20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Shelbyville
    My wife had her all bladder removed 6 months ago. She had what she thought was chronic heartburn but it became very painful. After the gall bladder was removed her quality of live was greatly improved. She has no diet restrictions.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My mom went to the ER with pain. They told her it was gas and sent her home. Four hours later she was back and being admitted for acute pancreatitis caused by her gall bladder. Ended up in the hospital for seven weeks with most of her pancreas and all of her gall bladder removed. A gall stone had stopped up a duct and the bile was backing up and seeping out through her pancreas, eating it from the inside.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Doctor told me I had to have mine removed the summer before last. Woke up in hotel after a steak dinner the night before and thought I was having a heart attack. My MIL is a ND and gave me some hippy granola advice and I still have my gall bladder today and no issues. It was a week of juices and olive oil & lemon juice shots, but when they put me under the scope again, the stones were gone. Doctor was stunned.

I read that I may have chronic diarrhea for the rest of my life as a result of the surgery, so I was happy to try something else first. I'd be happy to dig up the concoctions and share them if you're interested.

I'd be interested in the concoction. Thing is I do not have any gall stones, it is just enlarged and the bile duct could close up and back everything up, from what the DR said that is not good.

jarrell, it will be done Laparascopically. The dr said 7-10 days of no lifting, or straining the abdominal muscles. Kind of hard to do with what I do for a living. I'll have to be on "light work".

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    My mom went to the ER with pain. They told her it was gas and sent her home. Four hours later she was back and being admitted for acute pancreatitis caused by her gall bladder. Ended up in the hospital for seven weeks with most of her pancreas and all of her gall bladder removed. A gall stone had stopped up a duct and the bile was backing up and seeping out through her pancreas, eating it from the inside.

This is the kind of thing he was warning me about. Not a good thing to happen in Peru I don't think.

My problem has been no matter what I eat or how little I eat I feel like I ate a whole cow. I can't bend over and tie my shoes at times. It also has effected my breathing, I'm so bloated up I can't hardly breath at times.

Oh God... No bacon? Might have to cheat once and awhile on that.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    it will be done Laparascopically. The dr said 7-10 days of no lifting, or straining the abdominal muscles. Kind of hard to do with what I do for a living. I'll have to be on "light work".

Recently took younger brother in to get his removed. It's amazing once they deflate it just how small a hole they can get it out thru. He walked out a few hours later feeling great, but was a little sore the next day.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    The doctor said some have problems with fatty foods causing EXTREMELY rank gas and bowel movements.:puke:

Now THAT'S something to look forward to.:yesway:
    It can cause a crapy situation. Keep a change of cloths handy (just in case). If you remotely feel like you have to go "GO". I've been there and I am doing that.:twocents:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'd be interested in the concoction. Thing is I do not have any gall stones, it is just enlarged and the bile duct could close up and back everything up, from what the DR said that is not good.

jarrell, it will be done Laparascopically. The dr said 7-10 days of no lifting, or straining the abdominal muscles. Kind of hard to do with what I do for a living. I'll have to be on "light work".

If you don't have gallstones, this may be worthless.

Gallstone fast and flush

Repeat this for 3 days
    wake up- 2TBS olive oil and and juice of 1 lemon in water. (Use as little water as you can so you're not chugging this like a big beer on your 21st birthday)
    Breakfast - juice carrot/beet/cucumber
    mid morning - 1 or 2 cups chamomile tea and a glass or organic apple juice
    Lunch - 2TBS olive oil and and juice of 1 lemon in water. glass of the apple juice or carrot or black cherry juice
    mid afternoon - 1 or 2 cups chamomile tea
    Dinner - another glass of juice. I also did the beet/carrot/cucumber to make myself feel full
    Before bed - another tea

Next 5 days drink at least 8 glasses water/day
    wake up - 2TBS cider vinegar in water with 1tsp honey or 2 TBS lemon juice in water or fresh grapefruit juice
    Breakfast - carrot/beet/cucumber juice
    Mid Morning - 1 or 2 cups chamomile tea and a glass or organic apple juice
    Lunch - Green Magma or Energy Green, green salad w/lemon oil dressing and cup of dandelion tea after
    Mid afternoon - 1 or 2 cups chamomile tea and a glass or organic apple juice or grapefruit juice
    Dinner - green salad w/lemon oil dressing or steamed green veg w/brown rice and another glass of organic apple juice
    Before Bed - cup of tea, either of the two above

At the end of the 5th day of this phase around 7pm mix 1 pint pure olive oil and 10 juiced lemons. drink a quarter cup every 15 minutes until it's gone.

This sounds disgusting, but I did it and it worked. Plus I lost 9 pounds. It wasn't like I was chowing down anyway. The thought of eating solid foods and the pain it caused gave me a whole lot of willpower. :D

The carrot/beet/cucumber juice is 2 carrots, 1 beet (including greens) and 1 cucumber. This was actually really tasty as long as I made it ahead of time and kept it in the fridge so I drank it cold. Warm, it wasn't so good.

She stressed organic apple juice over and over so thats we bought and used.

Green Magma is what I used also https://www.greenfoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

Last edited:

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area

I had it done simple surgery home same day. Only thing that bothers me is McDonalds. No big loss any way. Something about their grease if I eat there I have to go to the bathroom before I can drink my soda. Good luck to you. I just got out of hospitial today myself. U nknown infection on my knee no wound or injury just infection. 3 days of IV antibiotics and I am home.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    The doctor said some have problems with fatty foods causing EXTREMELY rank gas and bowel movements.:puke:

Now THAT'S something to look forward to.:yesway:

We have a couple of people at the Station have had theirs removed.. judging from how fast they can clear out the day room I'd say thats pretty accurate.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Just a quick addition to what has been said. I had mine removed several years ago and it was done laparoscopicly in the Dr.'s office. They had a room where minor procedures like this were done. It was a quick in and out with 3 small incisions that took maybe 3 stitches each. I healed in about a week or so, and didn't notice any problems after it.

I returned to "life as usual" almost immediately, wasn't warned about lifting (altho that would be almost a given) or straining, and had no food restrictions what so ever. I'm back to eating normally, fat and grease included. Not a lot, as I keep it low in the first place (I HATE fat on my meats...etc) but we eat bacon on a regular basis, either with scrambled eggs, potatoes or in BST's. And we don't skimp on those, we use the "extra" thick bacon, and normally cook at least 2 packages of it for the 2 of us. (We like a little sandwich with our bacon) However, it might have something to do with the way we cook the bacon, as I don't fry it, I bake it, and 99% of the grease drains off at that point. I do keep the grease tho, and use it for other things that I fry, it adds a nice flavor to whatever else I'm fixing.

I do have to be careful of "spicy" foods, especially at nite, but that's because I also have GERD and am on meds for it. If I eat something after say 9pm at night, I usually wake up with the heartburn from hell. I don't have a problem with the other side effects that others have mentioned, and no bloating at all either. But then again I really didn't have stones, the removal of it was precautionary and to eliminate the possible cause of what turned out to BE the GERD, and not a gall bladder issue.

If your doc says no to going out of the country, especially to somewhere in S. America where the conditions are not as clean as we keep them, then that could be a concern. I'd take it easy, I was in my 40's when they removed it, but even now (I'm a bit older....:)) I still don't have any problems with bloating etc. Well, with one exception, I seem to have developed a problem with a few lower parts, that we're awaiting the outcome of some tests before they proceed to do anything drastic, like surgery.

You'll definitely be in our prayers, and if you would be so kind, please keep me in yours as well.

Best wishes,
    7th Stepper

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    7th Stepper,
    If you've got GERDS, are on meds and still have heartburn ask your doctor about a prescription for Reglan. I have it too and it took years to get it under control. Anti acid meds alone wouldn't do the trick. I take Reglan, (generic, and it's cheap!) and life is all good. No heartburn, ever, anymore. You have to take it 3 or more times a day, but it's worth it. You can basically eat whatever you want, when you want.

Top Bottom