• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Alleged squirrel drowning brings animal cruelty charges - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

What is this world coming to. Had he shot an intruder, no charges would have been filed, but because he kills a squirrel that is destroying his property, he gets brought up on charges. :facepalm:

How do I know the squirrel was destroying his property and he doesn't kill cute little fuzzy squirrels just for the sheer joy of it? He's a family friend and I know the story from the source.

It was the method of the kill, nothing more here to see.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Oh for pete's sake. WTF is wrong with this world. It's a destructive pest that isn't in any way an endangered species and the man disposed of it quickly.

So you poison other pests like rats, is that considered animal cruelty? I guess if he trapped it and turned it over to Animal Control it would have be OK. Because Animal control would just let it go again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is not the most accepted way to end a pest...Drowning. It is the method we have used for the last 2 years but it is quick enough. My garden is un-molested, my attics are clear of pests and the lawn furniture is intact.
    We used to use a pellet rifle but a few misses got us concerned about safety.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    drowning an animal is not a good way of killing.
    do i think i think they need to be killed yes
    drowning something is not good though. whether a pest or game for food you should kill the same, as cleanly and with the least possible pain.

The problem is that most other quick and lethal methods could hurt some old lady's cat or something, or else require that you be present and able to shoot (which in a neighborhood is probably already prohibited). This is the method with the least possible pain which will be legal 99% of the time...or so it was thought.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Trapping without a license and hunting out of season? :n00b::dunno:

I guess I'm guilty too! Was I supposed to ask the government for permission to trap the raccoon that was damaging my property? What about mice? Rats? Chipmunks?

Hi, I need a hunting and trapping license for rats and chipmunks please!

My cat is a FELON!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Trapping an animal in a cage and dropping it into a bucket of water is some serial killer level stuff.

No it's not. Putting the cage in the water then bringing it back up shortly before they drowned and doing it over and over again would be serial killer stuff. Unless you're trying to extract information from it, then it's ok. Giggling while doing so would be seriously disturbed.

I shoot a raccoon it takes a minute or two to die. I shoot a deer and with the cleanest "acceptable and ethical" shot (chest) it takes a couple of minutes to die. I drown a squirrel it takes a minute or two to die. I poison it and it takes hours to die and I risk injuring noncombatants.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sad but I guess the only safe way to do anything anymore is to call Uncle and ask him what you can and can't do. So you call Animal Control in my area (Indianapolis west side) and they basically tell you that they can't deal with it and won't advise you. Like last summer when we were trapping cats and taking them to Animal Control, everyone was doing it. Finally Animal Control just one day said, we are no longer accepting trapped animals. You are on your own. You are pretty much screwed any way you turn.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You just have to know Louisville. It is a very liberal city. Animal rights is a big thing. Not long ago they hired a former officer of the ASPCA as head of their animal shelter. They (the city of Louisville) just partnered with the ASPCA.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Shooting them was out of the question? Relocating?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've trapped 3 coons and an opossum in the last year or so, I drive past a park on my way to work and let them go.

Seems like I got most of them as they haven't been around for awhile.

Don't know if this is squirrel thing should be criminal or just a fine, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth for sure...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sad but I guess the only safe way to do anything anymore is to call Uncle and ask him what you can and can't do. So you call Animal Control in my area (Indianapolis west side) and they basically tell you that they can't deal with it and won't advise you. Like last summer when we were trapping cats and taking them to Animal Control, everyone was doing it. Finally Animal Control just one day said, we are no longer accepting trapped animals. You are on your own. You are pretty much screwed any way you turn.

Yup...animal control is strapped for funds and body's on the job just like every one else. Ferrell cats, dogs and such are a problem. The shelter just puts them down. There are not enough folks in the market for a pet to take them. If they do a lot of them end up back on the streets.
    Crazy lady behind me (may she rest in piece) fed all the stray's so we were literally over ran with them a few years back. They like to stay close to food sources. They liked living under my sheds and in the ornamental grass and under the hoods of my vehicles. They caused great damage and I removed more than a few from the engine bay's after getting tangled up in the moving parts. I would slap the hood every morning before starting my truck but I still got 5 or so. I also had to replace a fan blade and other parts due to this.
    Animal control......a joke. We had to deal with this on our own as she refused to stop feeding them.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've trapped 3 coons and an opossum in the last year or so, I drive past a park on my way to work and let them go.

Seems like I got most of them as they haven't been around for awhile.

Don't know if this is squirrel thing should be criminal or just a fine, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth for sure...
    I really like when People relocate their Problems to some other Area, instead of dealing with them...:xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yup...animal control is strapped for funds and body's on the job just like every one else. Ferrell cats, dogs and such are a problem. The shelter just puts them down. There are not enough folks in the market for a pet to take them. If they do a lot of them end up back on the streets.
    Crazy lady behind me (may she rest in piece) fed all the stray's so we were literally over ran with them a few years back. They like to stay close to food sources. They liked living under my sheds and in the ornamental grass and under the hoods of my vehicles. They caused great damage and I removed more than a few from the engine bay's after getting tangled up in the moving parts. I would slap the hood every morning before starting my truck but I still got 5 or so. I also had to replace a fan blade and other parts due to this.
    Animal control......a joke. We had to deal with this on our own as she refused to stop feeding them.

We were blessed with a crazy old man and a crazy old lady a few years ago. Both feeding cats. When the old man died there were dozens of cats in his house. We got rid of them by trapping. I no longer recall the exact number but three of us trapped everyday and in 3 months we caught and turned in to Animal Control between 50 and 70 cats. Animal Control got fed up with it. They have a pamphlet that says there is a pretty stiff fine for feeding stray cats. And if you feed stray cats then you better be getting them shots etc. There is also a fine for not doing that part. That is Animal Control here in Indianapolis anyway, I dont know about other cities.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's fun though to relocate them to people you don't like. Just sayin...

Well, I said I dealt with our issues. You are right. Some humor and a bit of pay back is nice.

Strays are not always healthy and devoid of critters and disease. The multiply like the plague and destroy a lot of property. They poop in the sand box.........:(

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    There's not much he can do about the out of season trapping unless KY allows nuisance animal control. Here in Arkansas I can shoot or trap anything that is messing with property, with the exception of some migratory birds, during the day (at night I have to get a special permit that I don't believe is too hard to acquire).

The animal cruelty charge is unwarranted. If anyone has ever gone fishing, they are doing the same thing.

Top Bottom