• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I'll warn you, this is not a case of cut-and-dried "taking a gun to school property" like we have discussed on INGO many times.

The guy has a local security business, he evidently has some history of animosity with the school concerning his ability to eat lunch with his child, he apparently is trying to start a contract with the school for either security or risk assessment and other things.

Man charged with taking gun onto school property | thestarpress.com | The Star Press

The incidents leading to Wilson being arrested began on Feb. 4, when administrators at Tri Junior-Senior High School reported Wilson was carrying a loaded handgun as he attended a basketball game at the school.

Approached by school officials at the game, Wilson maintained because of his ownership with a newly opened security company, he was authorized to carry the gun at school events. The New Castle man also claimed he had "specific permission" of two South Henry principals to bring his weapon onto school property.

He also learned that Wilson, during a brief visit to the school in January, had lifted his trenchcoat to show a school secretary he was carrying a handgun, claiming at the time that the high school's principal was "aware of this."

Also on Feb. 5, Deputy Rossiter went to Wilson's security business, where he informed the New Castle man that a provision in state law allowing security personnel to carry guns into schools was limited to employees of firms hired to protect those facilities.

According to Rossiter, Wilson responded, "Well, I guess that could be a gray area. It just depends on how you interpret it."

Wilson's security business apparently opened in recent months, and bills itself as the "exclusive authorized Smith & Wesson security system dealer" in five Midwestern states. According to a Web site, a Feb. 1 open house offered visitors an opportunity to win a "grand prize" of a Smith & Wesson assault rifle.

And for those that have been asking about getting an LTCH after some alcohol problems, evidently you can get your LTCH:

Court records reflect no criminal convictions for the former Greenfield resident since a pair of driving-while-intoxicated convictions in Hancock County in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

A DWI charge filed against Wilson in that county in July 2006 ended with a guilty plea to reckless driving.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hmm... that article sure doesn't say a whole lot, does it.

The first 3 quotes in the OP really tell everything there is so know so far about the situation.

More power to Mr. Wilson. I don't think it is right that people who may otherwise legally own and carry a handgun are prevented from carrying while at schools. I realize this case won't necessarily do a whole lot for the everyday citizen, but any progress is better than no progress, IMHO.

Note: if anybody disagrees with my opinion, that's fine. I won't be debating it in this thread.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    So I can open a security company and carry any place a LEO can?

...............Heads off to City county bldg to file paper work...................

sorry I keep forgetting the purple ink.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So I can open a security company and carry any place a LEO can?

...............Heads off to City county bldg to file paper work...................

Nope...

Only with the specific permission / authorization... And I'd for sure want that in writing.

-J-

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    Yea this guy sounds like a real winner "lift tench coat and look at my gun".... that and as I read it he never had permission just said he did and thinks he does because he own a "security company" which seems sketch also. Also with the article never actually says he has a ltch did it??

mall cop on roids

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm gonna agree with those that said he was an *** and deserved it. He was given his warning and did it anyway.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Everyone is focusing on the whole "lifting his trenchcoat to show his gun" thing, but I think it should be noting that just wearing a trenchcoat is a little shady in the first place.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    duckie-brown-trench-coat-42808-1.jpg

Top Bottom