• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    After some research I see in order to make a newer 870 with a left hand safety one has to buy a $100 trigger assembly kit. Is this really true?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My point is, since it has no useful function, there is little point in spending money on it. The forearm works perfectly well as the safety on a pump shotgun.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    My point is, since it has no useful function, there is little point in spending money on it. The forearm works perfectly well as the safety on a pump shotgun.

I'd have to agree with this. Firearm safety really is a simple thing that people always screw up.

You have to press a button to actuate the pump action, that's as good as a safety. The safety is only for people who can't keep their finger off the trigger once they pumped it.

I agree, no point in spending money on it when your brain should be doing most of the work anyways.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I'll try to give some useful info. I've had good luck simply reversing the safety button inside the trigger assembly. Simple fix, but there is a spring & detent you have to be careful with.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Reversing the button won't work on recent production 870s as the button is offset and will work only one way, so the Fortmann safety linked above by tenring is your best ( and cheapest bet) assuming you don't have the key locking safety.
    No trouble to install, just be careful not to lose detent ball and spring. I've done a couple of these, takes just a few minutes.
    Google Rem 870 left hand safety and you'll get plenty hits

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I'd have to agree with this. Firearm safety really is a simple thing that people always screw up.

You have to press a button to actuate the pump action, that's as good as a safety. The safety is only for people who can't keep their finger off the trigger once they pumped it.

I agree, no point in spending money on it when your brain should be doing most of the work anyways.

Maybe on a range it "has no useful function" but IIRC, many guns are still used in the field. Shotguns especially are used for bird-hunting, which means trekking/walking a great distance sometimes in search of game. In the field, leaving a cartridge partially chambered in a pump shotgun could be a risk that you lose the partially chambered cartridge and miss your chance. Leaving the breech closed on an empty chamber could also mean a missed chance because chambering a round and then shooting may take too much time (the same reason it's a bad idea to carry your SD firearm on an empty chamber).

Yet, carrying a loaded shotgun through fields of bird habitat, briars, etc would be risky if you weren't employing the "useless safety".

What am I missing?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Maybe on a range it "has no useful function" but IIRC, many guns are still used in the field. Shotguns especially are used for bird-hunting, which means trekking/walking a great distance sometimes in search of game. In the field, leaving a cartridge partially chambered in a pump shotgun could be a risk that you lose the partially chambered cartridge and miss your chance. Leaving the breech closed on an empty chamber could also mean a missed chance because chambering a round and then shooting may take too much time (the same reason it's a bad idea to carry your SD firearm on an empty chamber).

Yet, carrying a loaded shotgun through fields of bird habitat, briars, etc would be risky if you weren't employing the "useless safety".

What am I missing?

Yep, good post. In a world where all guns are "tactical," it's easy for some to forget they have other uses. Liberals think guns should only be for hunting, and we don't even see that as a modern use of a gun, lol. Maybe we should all keep in mind that what I need a gun to do is different from what you need it to do, so let's respect that and be helpful. Now, that being said, I do have a home defense shotgun, and I keep one in the chamber with the safety on. Why go into a fight without a full magazine?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom