• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mods, feel free to move if this is in the wrong section.

I'm really the kind of guy who would rather make something than buy it, and I see all the fancy molded leather holsters and I want one for whatever gun I end up getting.

All I can find on forming leather is to boil it and then lay it on the form, then stitching a back to it... is there more to it than that?

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I made my own belt and holsters for my 1873 single-action revolvers. :draw:I don't think the process would be much different in making a leather holster for a modern firearm. Nicer holsters are lined, meaning that you glue two pieces of leather together so you have the smooth side on both surfaces. Also tends to wear less on your firearm since you don't get dust and dirt caught in any rough side.

I'd look for a pattern first - maybe check out the leather craft forums online. Tandy Leather and other retailers might have what you're looking for. If nothing else, they'll have instructions on hand stitching, which you'll need anyway.

After the holster is made, you'll need to mold it to your pistol. I did this by getting the leather pretty wet, but don't soak it. I then oiled my pistols liberally and then wrapped them in several layers of plastic wrap and jammed them in. Work a smooth plastic of wooden strip all around the barrel grooves, the trigger guard, and anywhere there are bumps and voids. Leave the guns in place and do that several times over the next few days whils the leather dries completely.

I need to get some pictures for posting of my holsters. IMO, they came out pretty nice. :rockwoot:

Good luck in your project. Post some pics when you finish.

ol' poke

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have made holsters for some time. Generally I lay the Hand gun out on the leather, draw around how I wish the holster to fit, then fold over and get an appearance of how it will come together. Leaving enough room for the stitches. Then cut and begin to stitch. After it is stitched, I place the hand gun in it and generally there is a good fit.
    But not done, I soak the leather so it is wetted well. Sometimes I hold under running water with some warm water over it. inside and out,
    THis loosens it well, then hopefully the fit is tight enough that I have to push a tad. You do need to oil well and remove and dry the hand gun and oil well. Then continue to work the leather so the fit is good. You can then rub or bone the necessary fit to the hand gun.
    then let the leather dry or almost dry. Placing the hand gun in it several times, so you make sure the fit is still good. It will take over a day to dry. But you can get a good idea after a day of the fit.
    You might try making a pattern from cardboard first, to make sure you do not undercut the leather.
    Thumb breaks, and some just require a little thought as to how to cut it all to come together right.
    AFter it begins to dry, you can finish cutting the scallop around the trigger. Unless you have hammered a pattern on it of course.
    you also want to round the edges and bottom so it appears nice plus it helps seal the leather, there is actually some stuff you can buy to rub along these edges that give that final finish look.
    Elbow grease is the best. You can use anything smooth.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    i was thinking about this as well just thinking where i can get some leather that is near me and wont be so exspensive... i made a little holster for a derringer and a jennings 22 but i would like to made something for my glock..

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    If you go to Tandy on the west side of Indy, there's a larger ol' boy who works there, who also makes custom leather holsters on the side. I wish I could remember his name with certainty, I believe it was Jim...but don't quote me on it.

I sat from opening to close one day listening to this ol' boy talk about how to work leather, form it, dye it, seal it, buff, you name it. Shame I was asking more questions about general leather work than holsters - pouches and the like >_<.

Just something to keep in mind: leather will shrink as it dry's and it'll take multiple days for the leather to absolutely dry. ANY marks you make while pressing the shape into the leather, will remain forever and be magnified with any seal/polish you do.

Top Bottom