• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Never hunted public land and never will, my son will have more land to hunt than he ever can he has been huntong since he was 3 and skinning ALSO. "Guns don't kill people, wannabe hunters kill people" Unknown

Quit being a *****!! I bet you do not even eat what you kill, one of them City folk doing it for the sport, probably spent thousands of dollars on "hunting euipment" and still get F#$%ing lost in the park, just give it up and go back to doing whatever you people do.....you give true outdorrsman a bad name!!!

There is something about that word...NEVER... That word has a really bad way of coming back to bite you in the ass. I try very hard to refrain from using it. Everyone was a wanna be at some point in time. Rather at the age of 3 or 33. What if maybe someones family was not into hunting then later in life as an adult that person wanted to learn. I guess maybe in your opinion we should shun that person and alienate them so they feel so uncomfortable they just walk away from it. I truly hope that is not the stance you take in educating your own son as to how to live his life. If facts be known its folks that take this sort of narrow minded stance that are more of a threat to shooting sports as a whole than all the gun grabbers combined. As I am trying implicitly to keep my words and text to a respectful manner there's a possibility you might not understand what I am trying to say.

This post was originally about someone that was asking for our insight, experience and help. It takes a much better man to stand up and ask for help in admitting a weakness, than a person that would out of fear of ridicule stay silent. And an even smaller man is the man that ridicules the man that asked for help. I hope I have made my thoughts and feelings clear without stooping to gather the moss... +2 cdyptrsn...There is no such thing as a stupid question only ignorant answers...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I can't believe I read all five pages of this.

Since I've gone this far, might as well be useful.

Just for the people who really do have a hard time of it and looking for a little advice.

Make it easy on yourself. Don't gut shoot one. Always aim for the heart and don't take wild shots. Wait until you absolutely can't miss shots. Then shoot them through the heart.

Blow out that pump with the first shot and you just make every thing from there on a whole lot easier. You don't have to chase them. You don't have to crawl around looking for blood. Big one here, THEY DON'T GET ALL HYPED UP ON ADRENALIN AND HORMONES. They just drop dead and never know why. That adrenalin and homones and running for their lives makes them stink to high heaven, inside and out. It makes the meat nasty. Just about every thing people complain about most can be traced back to the one most common cause, a bad shot.

I don't always have all this with me but.... if you make a good shot, there's a lot better chance that the truck is not far away from where the deer is laying dead. Go get the truck if you can, where you will have a pair of rubber gloves, a camera, a lantern or at least head lights, a plastic gallon jug of water to drink or wash blood off your hands and knife, tomahawk.

Drive as close as you can and now decide if it's still too far to drag the whole deer up where there is light if it's night. Get your pictures where the deer died. It'll mean more to ya. Get your favorite equipment in there or any thing you want to leave your boy some day. It'll mean something to him to point to a deer with the shot gun dad gave him in the picture. Do it while you can get a classy, clean, natural looking shot.

Now show's over. Any thing you don't want nasty, now is the time to put it in the truck. Get your mind right. It's just a job. Elbow deep in innards ain't any one's idea of fun, I don't care what they are saying here or while they watch you. It's guy fun, teasing the newbie. Forget it or fling some intestines at them.

It's just a job. Do it right. Do it efficiently. Think about the job and just do it. Kinda like poking a hemoroid back in. No body wants to do it for ya, every one is laughing right now thinking some one else may have to do it. None of them laugh when they can't sit down right.

Nick that skin just enough to get a finger or thumb in and DON'T NICK ANY THING INSIDE THERE. Stick your finger in and hook it so it points up toward the head and pull it out like a tight sweater on a hot babe. Now unzip those puppies and let them loose for the world to see but nick any thing underneath, pinch, or make it bleed and the party is over. Now get down there between those legs and really help them spread out. Open that meat all the way to the bone until they will lay flat spread out. Oh they resist? Get that tomahawk and chop the bone one one side, NOT THE MIDDLE, then the other. Nice and light, so a piece just about 3 inches lifts right up off there and those legs fall flat on either side.

This animal should have all her secrets out for the world to see now, start dumping them out on the ground and get that esophagus out as high as you can with our ruining the neck roast. IF it's a throphy don't split the rib cage or cut the cape above the bottom of the ribs. Just get it all out best as you can. Except for the liver, if it don't look like meat, dump it on the ground. Get a good bragging picture if there's any heart left with a hole in it. Throw it out where you can find it for when you wash your hands off..

When all the guts are hanging on by that last bit of intestine on the yucky end just use your skinning knife to "help" it come out with out dumping any nasty in the meat.

Don't think about what it smells like. It's irrelevant. Think about how you get that out of there in whole pieces with out nicking it and making the job worse. Think about how this isn't as bad as you thought and think about what you are doing to keep it that way.

Take a straight blade knife you would want to clean silly putty off in the dark. Not a folder or gimmic doall knife that's going to be filled with crap afterward and you'll consider it a favor.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City

Just for the people who really do have a hard time of it and looking for a little advice.

Make it easy on yourself. Don't gut shoot one. Always aim for the heart and don't take wild shots. Wait until you absolutely can't miss shots. Then shoot them through the heart.

Blow out that pump with the first shot and you just make every thing from there on a whole lot easier. You don't have to chase them. You don't have to crawl around looking for blood. Big one here, THEY DON'T GET ALL HYPED UP ON ADRENALIN AND HORMONES. They just drop dead and never know why. That adrenalin and homones and running for their lives makes them stink to high heaven, inside and out. It makes the meat nasty. Just about every thing people complain about most can be traced back to the one most common cause, a bad shot.

I don't always have all this with me but.... if you make a good shot, there's a lot better chance that the truck is not far away from where the deer is laying dead. Go get the truck if you can, where you will have a pair of rubber gloves, a camera, a lantern or at least head lights, a plastic gallon jug of water to drink or wash blood off your hands and knife, tomahawk.

Drive as close as you can and now decide if it's still too far to drag the whole deer up where there is light if it's night. Get your pictures where the deer died. It'll mean more to ya. Get your favorite equipment in there or any thing you want to leave your boy some day. It'll mean something to him to point to a deer with the shot gun dad gave him in the picture. Do it while you can get a classy, clean, natural looking shot.

Now show's over. Any thing you don't want nasty, now is the time to put it in the truck. Get your mind right. It's just a job. Elbow deep in innards ain't any one's idea of fun, I don't care what they are saying here or while they watch you. It's guy fun, teasing the newbie. Forget it or fling some intestines at them.

It's just a job. Do it right. Do it efficiently. Think about the job and just do it. Kinda like poking a hemoroid back in. No body wants to do it for ya, every one is laughing right now thinking some one else may have to do it. None of them laugh when they can't sit down right.

Nick that skin just enough to get a finger or thumb in and DON'T NICK ANY THING INSIDE THERE. Stick your finger in and hook it so it points up toward the head and pull it out like a tight sweater on a hot babe. Now unzip those puppies and let them loose for the world to see but nick any thing underneath, pinch, or make it bleed and the party is over. Now get down there between those legs and really help them spread out. Open that meat all the way to the bone until they will lay flat spread out. Oh they resist? Get that tomahawk and chop the bone one one side, NOT THE MIDDLE, then the other. Nice and light, so a piece just about 3 inches lifts right up off there and those legs fall flat on either side.

This animal should have all her secrets out for the world to see now, start dumping them out on the ground and get that esophagus out as high as you can with our ruining the neck roast. IF it's a throphy don't split the rib cage or cut the cape above the bottom of the ribs. Just get it all out best as you can. Except for the liver, if it don't look like meat, dump it on the ground. Get a good bragging picture if there's any heart left with a hole in it. Throw it out where you can find it for when you wash your hands off..

When all the guts are hanging on by that last bit of intestine on the yucky end just use your skinning knife to "help" it come out with out dumping any nasty in the meat.

Don't think about what it smells like. It's irrelevant. Think about how you get that out of there in whole pieces with out nicking it and making the job worse. Think about how this isn't as bad as you thought and think about what you are doing to keep it that way.

Take a straight blade knife you would want to clean silly putty off in the dark. Not a folder or gimmic doall knife that's going to be filled with crap afterward and you'll consider it a favor.

Words of wisdom... +1 Repped

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have not killed nor seen killing since Vietnam. The smell of death of any creature is not a nice smell. I can understand your situation. I am not against hunting. I have friends that give me some of their harvested animals. I still like meat! I just can not kill any more.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

What would be awesome is if one could...on their next kill, make us an illustrated version of this. :yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What would be awesome is if one could...on their next kill, make us an illustrated version of this. :yesway:

Come on guys. Yer really just making this a way bigger deal than it is. You are letting all these "stories" and old timer's bull crap get you worked up over something that is no big deal.

My personal learning mantra is this:

1. Tell me (I'll forget)

2. Show me (I'll remember)

3. Let me try. (I'll understand)

4. Repeat 1-3 as required to reach the skill level desired or required.

I absolutely believe ANY THING can be taught to ANY ONE if those 4 steps are followed absolutely. I don't care if it's rocket science or field dressing a deer, those 4 stepps will teach any one any thing provided the person teaching knows it and most of the time regardless if they know any thing at all, a person who wants to learn will learn it following those steps.

1. Tell me. I know you've read this thread. I know you've most likely been told a dozen times by people bragging how good they are at it and throwing in a little extra "enthusiasm" to convince you what a great thing they have accomplished. Scrape off the bull crap and what is involved in field dressing a deer? You opened up their belly and let the organs fall out that wanted to fall out all their lives any way.

2. Half of you have probably seen it done as they guy winced who is now telling you how great he is at it every time you meet at the watering hole. If not, I'd bet a million dollars if you google, field dressing deer, there are going to be more illustrated instructions by people who are worthy of taking pictures of and people who just think they are than you can count.

3. Only thing really missing here is "Let me try". Take careful note here, "Let me try". Not let me do it, not let me put on a show. Just go kill one and try. More than likely you are going to be by your self. If not and you've got some one so great they may tease you then they should be standing there giving you step by step instructions. If you are alone what have you got to lose? Bloody hands and a jug of water and a messy knife to clean up. That's the worst there is.

If you are taking it some where else to process this is the easiest job in the world. I guarantee if you've even bothered to read this thread they have seen a lot worse than what you are going to bring them and no one is going to say a negative word. YOU ARE PAYING THEM. YOU MEAN MONEY TO THEM. THEY LOVE YOU.

Turn the deer across the hill with the belly facing up hill. Unzip here sweater. Stand on the up hill rear leg and push them apart so all the mess is still in a "bowl" and not dumping out yet. Split those two hams down to the bone and give your self plenty of room to work on that bone with out messing up any thing that LOOKS LIKE MEAT. Remember, you've eaten meat. YOu don't have to be Danial Boone to tell meat from guts.

Now tip the deer down hill so the guts do what they want to do. Push up your sleeves and any thing that's not meat and has something clingy holding it up in there just start cutting "strings" until they start falling out.

Rinse off your hands with the water you brought or a Mountain Dew, what ever. I've honestly had a kid with me who had never done it before and we both washed our hands in one mountain dew when it was done and he wasn't puking he was ginning like a possum eating a gut pile.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you still are letting this stop you from hunting and don't mind dragging the extra stuff out of the woods.

Just check in the whole deer and then take it straight to a processor. They'll do it for a few extra bucks, or you CAN butcher one with out ever gutting it but I kinda think that's not going to bet a real big reception in this thread. You have to check one before you can butcher it.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    For smell just rub VICKS Vapor rub under and in nostrils before cleaning... work with coroner for a bit and that def. helps with the worst smells

oldrookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Never hunted public land and never will, my son will have more land to hunt than he ever can he has been huntong since he was 3 and skinning ALSO. "Guns don't kill people, wannabe hunters kill people" Unknown

Wow for calling someone else out for being an "elitist hunter" the statement above pretty much epics the same attitude of an elitist hunter.

Are you bipoluar or just have a heavy chip on your shoulder?:dunno:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Come on guys. Yer really just making this a way bigger deal than it is. You are letting all these "stories" and old timer's bull crap get you worked up over something that is no big deal.

My personal learning mantra is this:

1. Tell me (I'll forget)

2. Show me (I'll remember)

3. Let me try. (I'll understand)

4. Repeat 1-3 as required to reach the skill level desired or required.

I absolutely believe ANY THING can be taught to ANY ONE if those 4 steps are followed absolutely. I don't care if it's rocket science or field dressing a deer, those 4 stepps will teach any one any thing provided the person teaching knows it and most of the time regardless if they know any thing at all, a person who wants to learn will learn it following those steps.

1. Tell me. I know you've read this thread. I know you've most likely been told a dozen times by people bragging how good they are at it and throwing in a little extra "enthusiasm" to convince you what a great thing they have accomplished. Scrape off the bull crap and what is involved in field dressing a deer? You opened up their belly and let the organs fall out that wanted to fall out all their lives any way.

2. Half of you have probably seen it done as they guy winced who is now telling you how great he is at it every time you meet at the watering hole. If not, I'd bet a million dollars if you google, field dressing deer, there are going to be more illustrated instructions by people who are worthy of taking pictures of and people who just think they are than you can count.

3. Only thing really missing here is "Let me try". Take careful note here, "Let me try". Not let me do it, not let me put on a show. Just go kill one and try. More than likely you are going to be by your self. If not and you've got some one so great they may tease you then they should be standing there giving you step by step instructions. If you are alone what have you got to lose? Bloody hands and a jug of water and a messy knife to clean up. That's the worst there is.

If you are taking it some where else to process this is the easiest job in the world. I guarantee if you've even bothered to read this thread they have seen a lot worse than what you are going to bring them and no one is going to say a negative word. YOU ARE PAYING THEM. YOU MEAN MONEY TO THEM. THEY LOVE YOU.

Turn the deer across the hill with the belly facing up hill. Unzip here sweater. Stand on the up hill rear leg and push them apart so all the mess is still in a "bowl" and not dumping out yet. Split those two hams down to the bone and give your self plenty of room to work on that bone with out messing up any thing that LOOKS LIKE MEAT. Remember, you've eaten meat. YOu don't have to be Danial Boone to tell meat from guts.

Now tip the deer down hill so the guts do what they want to do. Push up your sleeves and any thing that's not meat and has something clingy holding it up in there just start cutting "strings" until they start falling out.

Rinse off your hands with the water you brought or a Mountain Dew, what ever. I've honestly had a kid with me who had never done it before and we both washed our hands in one mountain dew when it was done and he wasn't puking he was ginning like a possum eating a gut pile.

There is allot of truth to this. If you show me how to do something I will be able to do it for life. When telling someone how to do things we inherently leave out little innuendos or little details that come out in the showing. I was told 20 times how to break down my AR. But when I went to the build party and was shown, then I had the skill and knowledge to do it...

Kingkarl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Against the grain, mostly
    Queasy?

Yeah, don't feel bad. Lots of guys don't like that part.
    I worked with a great big tough black dude that used to be a professional boxer and he got a little uneasy when we were cleaning a mess of Fish!
    I was kind of funny because he is such a hardass usually.
    But then I remebered that I was that way when I was a kid and so many adults nowadays never really went hunting or fishing and they simply have not been exposed to any of it.
    Don't know how long you have been at it, but I think it will get easier for you each time.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    My wife is an surgery tech. I asked her how she deals with it , especially when they carterize(sp?) which is basically burning flesh to seal it off. Getting quizzy or vomiting would not be to good in surgery.

Her advice to me was always breath through your mouth.

bailey5460

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Kokomo
    Stay away from that gut sack man! You cut into that and you'll not soon forget it. Other than that I've never had a problem. To each his own.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I usually split them from butt all the way to the throat and everything usually just spills out. Then move the deer away from the mess to finish the work of skinning and quartering. Of couse this only works if you aren't keeping the cape. The smell has never really bothered me though.

Top Bottom