• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've seen these things demonstrated and they're quite impressive.

I had one contact incident with a table saw blade. I was trying to do a plunge cut and the piece got away from me. I simultaneously heard a sort of "Ting!" and felt something grab my finger...it was about 10-15 seconds before I got up enough nerve to see how much of my finger was left. Fortunately, it just took a plug out but talking about scared!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Two devices I learned to make and use with a table saw when I was just a little boy.

Push Stick and Feather Board.

My Grandpa Bob was a Master Carpenter (brought up through an apprenticeship). He died with every one of his body parts intact. He taught me proper safety and I have always remembered his lessons. I don't need to spend $4K on a saw with a fancy gizmo on it when I can used $6 bucks worth of scrap wood to accomplish my job just as safely.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    The days of being responsible for ourselves are over. Sadly we gotta blame some none for our own stupidity. Neat device for a blind woodworker:dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's your right to waste your own resources in the manner most pleasing to you. It is after all your own property. I suggest uploading videos of the wood burning so the impoverished who would gladly pay good currency for that wood can see the flames and at least derive the illusion of heat from the cords. But I'm only kidding, everyone knows the poor don't have internet or dwellings to heat.

My friend has a tablesaw that if it hits something beyond a certain hardness, the blade snaps some cotter pin and drops down.

And none would bat an eye at suing me into oblivion if they got hurt on my property.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I took all that crap off my table saw. You can not see what you are doing with it in place.
    I took the blade gaurd off, the riving knife is a life saver. Hopefully most of us are smart enough to not cut our fingers off because we misuse the tool, but hopefully we are also smart enough to know if we defeat the gaurds it's our own damn fault if we get hurt!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    And none would bat an eye at suing me into oblivion if they got hurt on my property.

I know. Despite my tone, I acknowledge that this is necessary and that you would probably give it away were there not the risk of litigation. This has developed into a nation of the litigious irresponsible begging the tort laws to solve their problems for them ex-post-facto, rather than exercising a modicum of due diligence a priori. I read today that someone is suing his/her employer for over half a million dollars since the person in question self-identifies with neither the masculine nor feminine pronoun self-referentially. So, since this individual sees him- or her-self as neither him- nor her-self, apparently this is grounds to try to claim a one-half-million dollars payday. Rather he/she wishes to be called 'they' all the time, or 'zie', which is made-up and meaninglessly non-sensical. If on the off-chance he or she succeeds, I hope at least a substantial portion will be put to use as continued, sustained therapy co-payment. It's a sick society in which we participate, and it shows no signs of getting better any time soon.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Two devices I learned to make and use with a table saw when I was just a little boy.

Push Stick and Feather Board.

My Grandpa Bob was a Master Carpenter (brought up through an apprenticeship). He died with every one of his body parts intact. He taught me proper safety and I have always remembered his lessons. I don't need to spend $4K on a saw with a fancy gizmo on it when I can used $6 bucks worth of scrap wood to accomplish my job just as safely.

I totally understand what you're saying. BUT, keep in mind there is more to the sawstop than just the fancy safety.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I took the blade gaurd off, the riving knife is a life saver. Hopefully most of us are smart enough to not cut our fingers off because we misuse the tool, but hopefully we are also smart enough to know if we defeat the gaurds it's our own damn fault if we get hurt!

Yup. I am ultra careful when using any of my saws but I like being able to see the work. Push stick and a guide board are the :poop: when pushing you tools to the limit.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Yup. I am ultra careful when using any of my saws but I like being able to see the work. Push stick and a guide board are the :poop: when pushing you tools to the limit.
    Oh yeah, anything that keeps the work stable and my hands away are great! The push pad deals are great when you are making a cut where you lose sight of the blade!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :rolleyes:.......Been use'n da*n things since 7th grade......it everday tool in my trade......GOT's ta KNOW whut'cher do'n.....an' pay attn, cuzzzz......it don' care .....wood or meat, all'a same......

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's your right to waste your own resources in the manner most pleasing to you. It is after all your own property. I suggest uploading videos of the wood burning so the impoverished who would gladly pay good currency for that wood can see the flames and at least derive the illusion of heat from the cords. But I'm only kidding, everyone knows the poor don't have internet or dwellings to heat.

My friend has a tablesaw that if it hits something beyond a certain hardness, the blade snaps some cotter pin and drops down.
    Lol, he's a flip-floppy ... when he first bought his property and started building his house he was talking about how he'd never let anybody cut wood at his place. A year or so later he was whining about how he couldn't get anybody to take all the firewood he was trying to get rid of, and now he's back to stating how he never lets anybody cut wood because of liability... wait a bit longer, the story will change...

FWIW, I've never seen anybody as anal as him about cutting wood on his property...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Lol, he's a flip-floppy ... when he first bought his property and started building his house he was talking about how he'd never let anybody cut wood at his place. A year or so later he was whining about how he couldn't get anybody to take all the firewood he was trying to get rid of, and now he's back to stating how he never lets anybody cut wood because of liability... wait a bit longer, the story will change...

FWIW, I've never seen anybody as anal as him about cutting wood on his property...

Haven't flipped or flopped on anything. I've got a pile of logs I've been waiting over 2 months for a guy to show up. All he has to do is bring his trailer over and I'll load them with my tractor.

But like most others in life, they want their gift cut, split, delivered and stacked. Those are the type to play the legal lotto with your belongings. I see no concerted effort to end the legal lotto. Until it's gone, I'm going to protect mine.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    SawStop is a different animal, but I'm amused by this because just about every woodworker knows that when you get a new saw, it goes something like this:

#1 Assemble the saw
    #2 Remove all the guards
    #3 Use and don't be stupid

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    SawStop is a different animal, but I'm amused by this because just about every woodworker knows that when you get a new saw, it goes something like this:

#1 Assemble the saw
    #2 Remove all the guards
    #3 Use and don't be stupid
    yep, you just hit the proverbial nail on the head!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Here, you guys need to watch this safety video before operating a table saw. The more you know!!

[video=youtube;toNsPh-pxgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toNsPh-pxgc[/video]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom