• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My grandfather cut off a piece of his thumb on a table saw. He never blamed the manufacturer or the lack of safety devices on his saw. He realized that he screwed up and it was his own fault. If only more people would take responsibility for their actions.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Personally, I think it's BS. If the saw HAD been equipped and it failed, then I would say there might be grounds for suit. But since el dumbass got sloppy and hurt himself doing something he knew to be dangerous, I'd say it's on him.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Four rules in the shop?

Saw stop technology is so far only available on saws manufactured by Saw Stop Inc. They have renewed their patent and it is my understanding that they will not sell the system to other manufactures at a reasonable price. This was the last word I received from a Delta Mfg. rep. anyway. Having and using a riving knife for all through cuts would prevent 99% of all table saw accidents anyway. Remember all saws are loaded all of the time! :twocents:

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Personally, I think it's BS. If the saw HAD been equipped and it failed, then I would say there might be grounds for suit. But since el dumbass got sloppy and hurt himself doing something he knew to be dangerous, I'd say it's on him.

^^^This. Although the sawstop is a nice invention and I would like if all tablesaws came with one, the saw in mention of the lawsuit worked as advertised and in no way malfuctioned. Total human error he should not be able to sue.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Basic thought on tablesaws. If your putting your hands near a sharp blade spinning over 3,000 RPM's, you should be paying very, very close attention. Sure, things happen, but I bet a majority of accidents are completely preventable. People have the option to buy a saw stop table saw, and they are a high quality saw, but why should I have to pay extra to put a tablesaw in my workshop so I can enjoy some weekend woodworking? If you cut your finger off, you obviously did something wrong. When the cut starts going wrong you should see it, and stop. If you keep pushing it's your own fault., and IMHO, you have no beef with anyone but yourself.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    We've looked into a system at work, I don't recall the Brand name. Has sensors on the blade that detects moisture. When moisture appears,ie blood,blade drops into a block of lead.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Saw stop technology is so far only available on saws manufactured by Saw Stop Inc. They have renewed their patent and it is my understanding that they will not sell the system to other manufactures at a reasonable price. This was the last word I received from a Delta Mfg. rep. anyway. Having and using a riving knife for all through cuts would prevent 99% of all table saw accidents anyway. Remember all saws are loaded all of the time! :twocents:

Believe it or not, the created of sawstop actually tried selling his safety feature to all the leading tablesaw makers before he started making the sawstop tablesaw.

NOBODY was interested in the safety feature. So, he started making his own tablesaws.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Believe it or not, the created of sawstop actually tried selling his safety feature to all the leading tablesaw makers before he started making the sawstop tablesaw.

NOBODY was interested in the safety feature. So, he started making his own tablesaws.
    This is true. Wasn't it the added cost to redesign the saws or something? I know most cabinet saws have been basically built the same way for many years, I wonder if the sawstop feature takes up that much room?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Cheapest Stopsaw I found at Amazon was only $1700. Dozens of other quality table saws out there for less then $500. Me and my fingers will just take our chances and only hold ourselves responsible

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sawstop is very expensive, but it's the best tablesaw I have ever used. It's an awesome cutting machine. Very precise. Very smooth.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    This is true. Wasn't it the added cost to redesign the saws or something? I know most cabinet saws have been basically built the same way for many years, I wonder if the sawstop feature takes up that much room?

Probably has a lot more to do with the legal department saying something like,"Gee guys if we add this now that would be admitting that those kazillion saws we already have in the field are unsafe"!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Probably has a lot more to do with the legal department saying something like,"Gee guys if we add this now that would be admitting that those kazillion saws we already have in the field are unsafe"!
    I can see that to, but people with an ounce of common sense knows any sharp object spinning at a high rate of speed has the potential to be dangerous! People are so stupid!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    This is why I throw firewood into the burn pile vs having people come cut it up and haul it off.

It's your right to waste your own resources in the manner most pleasing to you. It is after all your own property. I suggest uploading videos of the wood burning so the impoverished who would gladly pay good currency for that wood can see the flames and at least derive the illusion of heat from the cords. But I'm only kidding, everyone knows the poor don't have internet or dwellings to heat.

My friend has a tablesaw that if it hits something beyond a certain hardness, the blade snaps some cotter pin and drops down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom