• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Have to give them credit for telling people what their plans are and why. Better to find out from the company then reading it on the bottle who knows how long after it happened.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ok a couple things here.

1. Makers Mark is reducing the ABV because there are SERIOUS shortages nationwide right now. The Whiskey/Bourbon market was up nearly 30% last year, and it doesn't really show signs of slowing this year. If they drop the ABV by 3% that's another million bottles (est) that they can make and send out to distributors.

Dear Maker’s Mark® Ambassador,

Lately we’ve been hearing from many of you that you’ve been having difficulty finding Maker’s Mark in your local stores. Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it, which means we’re running very low on supply. We never imagined that the entire bourbon category would explode as it has over the past few years, nor that demand for Maker’s Mark would grow even faster.

We wanted you to be the first to know that, after looking at all possible solutions, we’ve worked carefully to reduce the alcohol by volume (ABV) by just 3%. This will enable us to maintain the same taste profile and increase our limited supply so there is enough Maker’s Mark to go around, while we continue to expand the distillery and increase our production capacity.

We have both tasted it extensively, and it’s completely consistent with the taste profile our founder/dad/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr., created nearly 60 years ago. We’ve also done extensive testing with Maker’s Mark drinkers, and they couldn’t tell a difference.

Nothing about how we handcraft Maker’s Mark has changed, from the use of locally sourced soft red winter wheat as the flavor grain, to aging the whisky to taste in air-dried American white oak barrels, to rotating our barrels during maturation, to hand-dipping every bottle in our signature red wax.

In other words, we’ve made sure we didn’t screw up your whisky.

By the way, if you have any comments or questions, as always, we invite you to drop us a line at rob@makersmark.com or bill@makersmark.com. Thanks for your support. And if you’ve got a little time on your hands, come down and see us at the distillery.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels
    Chief Operating Officer
    Ambassador-in-Chief

Bill Samuels, Jr.
    Chairman Emeritus
    Ambassador-at-Large

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I tried Harrison's last week and didn't care for it at all. I think it has potential but it needs to age several more years before it would become worthwhile in my opinion.

Russell's Reserve and Evan Williams Single Barrel are my two top picks currently but my tastes shift a bit over time so my top picks have a tendency to drift periodically.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I tried Harrison's last week and didn't care for it at all. I think it has potential but it needs to age several more years before it would become worthwhile in my opinion.

Russell's Reserve and Evan Williams Single Barrel are my two top picks currently but my tastes shift a bit over time so my top picks have a tendency to drift periodically.

Its a little sweeter than some of the "big brands" so some people don't care as much for it. Not as much oak/smoke to it either. They do have a Governor's Reserve that's high-rye and bottled at barrel proof...not too bad. Also, just came out with a Presidential Reserve. Haven't tried that one yet, but REALLY want to, think its 16 year or something like that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Its a little sweeter than some of the "big brands" so some people don't care as much for it. Not as much oak/smoke to it either. They do have a Governor's Reserve that's high-rye and bottled at barrel proof...not too bad. Also, just came out with a Presidential Reserve. Haven't tried that one yet, but REALLY want to, think its 16 year or something like that.

I spoke with a gentleman at the tasting who agreed with me on the Harrison's but he did say the Presidential Reserve was great. I saw it on the shelf but at $119 I decided to pass. It ain't that good! I might pay that for a bottle of Pappy's but that's about it.

I have a bottle of the 18yr Elijag Craig and it is fantastic but I keep that back for special occasions. I just finished a bottle of Parker's a couple of weeks ago. It was excellent and if I'd known how much it cost I'd have kept it on the top shelf with the E.C.. A friend gave it to me as a gift so I had no clue.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Alright boys, this thread's goin places. Post up yer cabinets!

Nothing to brag about and it needs to be restocked but it's mine and I like it.

IMG_1959_zps7c1b008f.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Alright boys, this thread's goin places. Post up yer cabinets!
    IMG_0162_zpsf53b358e.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsd14471a0.jpg

IMG_0164_zpsca906ca6.jpg

IMG_0165_zps068e1782.jpg

IMG_0166_zpsc6bf8c7f.jpg

IMG_0167_zps4e9bdf92.jpg

IMG_0170_zps39efbd10.jpg

IMG_0171_zps79e7996d.jpg

There are roughly half a dozen more bourbon/whiskey bottles, unopened, not pictured. I figured this may be enough pictures for the time being.
    *Some of the bottles are open in the pictures above, most are not.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    This kinda upsets me, ive been to the distillery twice. I always use these guys for a special celebration.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a bottle of Makers with blue wax and label from the time UK won the NCAA title back in the 90's. I prefer Svedka vodka since I gave up Crown Royal.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It's a slam dunk as they call it.
    Only one in every so many are done that way. It's kind of their way of having fun and giving us something somewhat collectible. Harder then sin to find as well.

Top Bottom