• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Being a collector of odd facts, this piqued my interest.

What decade did you go through elementary school and where? I started mid-70's here in Indiana.

I finished elementary school in 1990 I do believe, but switched school in the late 80's in Bartholomew county. When I was able to write in cursive you couldn't read it so the teachers I had when I switched schools didn't push it since they where past that point. It was laziness on my part and the teachers part. When I got to middle school they wanted everything typed which was in 1990 or so. My wife and I where talking about this because my daughter is learning cursive in school this year some time and I wont be able to help her with it.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    To my knowledge, primary/elementary schools do not teach block printing any longer.
    They teach D'Nealian, which goes right into cursive.

Thats the way they are still teaching here in Morgan County, my youngest (daughter) is in the 2nd, I tried to ask my oldest (son).... but he's a senior and if its not girls, guns, cars or sports related he doesnt know/ remember !!!

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Flame me if you want but I am haveing a hard time with the fact that someone who is not capable of learning to read or write should be handling weapons. I am trying to run through the scenarios in my head what the circumstances would be but am coming up empty. Dyslexia comes to mind as a possible reason but how does that effect the persons ability to distinguish a target? Maybe there is no correlation, I don't know. Obviously this person is not reading the owners manual, laws concerning gun ownership, ammunition packages, etc etc.

Even after finishing this thread and being enlightened, I am still with you. If you can't fill out your paperwork to legally obtain a gun you probably shouldn't have one anyway.

In some cases there are valid reasons to not allow certain people to have the rights as others, I don't know about you but I don't want someone who is blind driving.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Even after finishing this thread and being enlightened, I am still with you. If you can't fill out your paperwork to legally obtain a gun you probably shouldn't have one anyway.

In some cases there are valid reasons to not allow certain people to have the rights as others, I don't know about you but I don't want someone who is blind driving.

So people who are not perfect are not able to have certain rights?

Fyi Driving is currently not a right, so it makes a very bad comparison.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I see. Law abiding, hard working citizens shouldn't be allowed to have guns. Good thing the Govt. isn't so quick to take away someones rights as some gun owners.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Reeding, riting, rithmitck and 2+2 befor. I was AXED to be a witness for a transaction for a individual who was purchasing a Ruger 9mm with a laser installed. Of course a 32 round magazine was inserted. The purchaser was BLIND. I declined and suggested a baseball bat instead. He did find the witness's and was put on delay. There is good in the NICS system after all.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN

Flame me if you want but I am haveing a hard time with the fact that someone who is not capable of learning to read or write should be handling weapons. I am trying to run through the scenarios in my head what the circumstances would be but am coming up empty. Dyslexia comes to mind as a possible reason but how does that effect the persons ability to distinguish a target? Maybe there is no correlation, I don't know. Obviously this person is not reading the owners manual, laws concerning gun ownership, ammunition packages, etc etc.

With these two quotes it is obvious that not only do we have elitists but people who also have completely forgotten our nations past. Did we have a 100% literacy rate in 1776? The earliest figures kept by the NAAL on literacy in the USA date to 1870 and the literacy rate was 80% with steady improvement every decade. With that curve we can obviously see that the literacy rate in 1776 would most likely have been even less! So luckily, our Founding Fathers were literate and educated enough themselves to see that "ALL men are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights."
    And, in 1789 when the Bill of Rights was introduced, it was the RIGHT of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms. Not the right of literate people.

Next you are going to tell me that we should give literacy tests when people go vote...OH WAIT! Jim Crow laws were found to be illegal and unconstitutional.

And finally, driving is a privilege, not a right.

***Let me help you with your literacy. It is having, affect, person's and owner's

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Honestly, it is getting to the point where cursive is unnecessary and likely will become a skill that only few bother to learn over time. Cursive is best for long hand writing tasks, but who actually does that any more? People are far more likely to write short notes or fill in forms by hand. Longer writing is almost exclusively on computers now.
    LOL I do! If I am communicating for business or someone that I don't really know, I use email. If I am writing to one of my Representatives or Senators, I write a long-hand letter. If I am writing to a close family member, I write a long-hand letter.

My step-son is in Boot Camp for the Army right now. I found out the other day that my younger teenager had never been taught to address an envelope when he wrote a letter to his brother.

To my knowledge, primary/elementary schools do not teach block printing any longer.
    They teach D'Nealian, which goes right into cursive.
    I am not familiar with that system. I'll have to look it up. Thanks! :)

I finished elementary school in 1990 I do believe, but switched school in the late 80's in Bartholomew county. When I was able to write in cursive you couldn't read it so the teachers I had when I switched schools didn't push it since they where past that point. It was laziness on my part and the teachers part. When I got to middle school they wanted everything typed which was in 1990 or so. My wife and I where talking about this because my daughter is learning cursive in school this year some time and I wont be able to help her with it.
    I realize that times have changed since I went to school. At that time, computers were just coming onto the scene so, unless you typed it on a typewriter, almost nothing was typed in school. We used to load programs for the TRS-80 Radio Shack computer off of cassette tape. Even last year in my son's school they didn't type reports much. The only computers they used were in a computer lab used for math exercises and such.

Now that we are home-schooling this year, my son will be doing both - hand-written and type-written reports.

The closest I can come to answering your question here is to relate the story of a group of people in a small town in Delaware County, Indiana.

There was a large group (thousands?) that moved to Indiana in the 1960's and 1970's from Kentucky and West Virginia to work in the glass manufacturing industry. A good majority of these people could not read, and it wasn't a problem in the glass companies until computer-controlled manufacturing came around in the late 1990's. In some of the rural areas that these people came from, a person with a 6th or 8th grade education was considered privileged.

I don't agree with taking away a person's 2A right because of not being able to read. Illiteracy may be a stumbling block to exercising 2A rights, but it shouldn't be a bar to them, IMO.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    ...Dyslexia comes to mind as a possible reason but how does that effect the persons ability to distinguish a target? Maybe there is no correlation, I don't know. ...

Dyslexia would not affect a person's ability to identify a target. It is not a vision problem, rather an issue the connections between the vision center and the language center in the brain.

Reps inbound for the our rights shall not be infringed (unless you can't read) sentiment.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

With these two quotes it is obvious that not only do we have elitists but people who also have completely forgotten our nations past. Did we have a 100% literacy rate in 1776? The earliest figures kept by the NAAL on literacy in the USA date to 1870 and the literacy rate was 80% with steady improvement every decade. With that curve we can obviously see that the literacy rate in 1776 would most likely have been even less! So luckily, our Founding Fathers were literate and educated enough themselves to see that "ALL men are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights."
    And, in 1789 when the Bill of Rights was introduced, it was the RIGHT of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms. Not the right of literate people.

Next you are going to tell me that we should give literacy tests when people go vote...OH WAIT! Jim Crow laws were found to be illegal and unconstitutional.

***Let me help you with your literacy. It is having, affect, person's and owner's

Well said....and it's our nation's

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know someone in their early 60's that is barely able to read and write. He functions quite well in todays world. He has a LTCH. He's stopped a couple of robberies in his life.

He's a product of his times, and misspent youth. Don't forget there are enough people who are graduated out of high school, simply so they aren't a drain on school resource.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I realize that times have changed since I went to school. At that time, computers were just coming onto the scene so, unless you typed it on a typewriter, almost nothing was typed in school. We used to load programs for the TRS-80 Radio Shack computer off of cassette tape. Even last year in my son's school they didn't type reports much. The only computers they used were in a computer lab used for math exercises and such.

It was a big push back then to get every one familiar with computers. I was a poor kid so I had to barrow a type writer from the school (lol) to type my papers out.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Just because people don't/can't wright doesn't mean they don't have the ability to learn to wright. For instance, I can't speak spanish, but I think I could learn if I tried to learn. That, however, doesn't make me impaired in any way.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

Honestly, we should have a literacy test to be able to vote. We should also have an IQ test to be able to procreate.

But in all seriousness, the driving deal seems like a fair comparison to me, both require a license to be able to do the activity.

Even now not everyone has the right to bear arms just the same as not everyone has the "privilege" to drive.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Honestly, we should have a literacy test to be able to vote. We should also have an IQ test to be able to procreate.

But in all seriousness, the driving deal seems like a fair comparison to me, both require a license to be able to do the activity.

Even now not everyone has the right to bear arms just the same as not everyone has the "privilege" to drive.

I think everyone should have to take a Constitution class to be a citizen...

I am not seeing the, "both require a license." You can purchase, own and utilize a firearm with out a license. All of these acts can be done in the confines of one's own property. Utilizing a vehicle to its fullest potential almost always requires the use of public roads. You will then be engaging in an activity that requires you to interact with the public while operating an object that, when utilized poorly, would kill someone. The same could be said about a firearm, but as I pointed out one could do all of those things and never leave their farm/house etc...

I am also not certain who these individuals who do not have the right to bear arms. Unless they have received a sentence under law that relieves them of their right, I cannot recall anyone who does not have that right.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Which school was that out of curiosity? Born and raised in Bartholomew myself, though I went to private gradeschool... Always failed penmanship... My writing now is more of a pidgin cursive/print mashup, as I think most people's is...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    There was a story in the news in the last couple of days about Japanese citizens forgetting how to physically write the characters of their language because of such a reliance on technology.

Follow that with the UK trying to decide whether or not to continue to teach French in their public schools as so many students learn it for the exams, do a mental "data dump" and most usually never use the language.

Top Bottom