Majority Of Americans Say College Not Worth Cost…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Using ChatGPT would probably be helpful for you in this situation.

You could ask it something like:

I’m using program X and I need to know how to do Y function like I would in AutoCAD.

How do I do that on program X?
    That's not a bad idea. The way the job market is in probably screwed either way, they were all over when I began the program a few years ago. Oh well what can ya do.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Solidworks, AutoCAD, and Civil. I have Inventor (and I like it, I make useful items when the opportunity comes up) and Fusion, but I'd feel more comfortable continuing to learn on the program I learned instead of an alternative. Especially AutoCAD since that's the one I have the least experience in.

The functions are largely the same but tool locations, toolbar customization, and subtle nuances throw me when I try new programs.
    Actually just asked ChatGPT this:

I don’t have paid access to Solidworks, AutoCAD, and Civil.

I need to use those programs to hone my skills for the job market.

Is there any way to access those programs for free or at a reduced price?

And it responded with:

Here are some ways you can access SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and Civil 3D for free or at a reduced price:

1. **Educational Licenses**:
    - Many CAD software companies, including AutoCAD and SolidWorks, offer free or heavily discounted licenses to students, educators, and educational institutions. If you're currently a student or can register for an online course that provides student credentials, you might qualify for a free version.
    - **SolidWorks** offers a free Student Design Kit or a discounted Student Edition for eligible students. You can check their website for details.
    - **AutoCAD** and other Autodesk products, including Civil 3D, provide free access to students and educators through the **Autodesk Education Plan**.

2. **Trial Versions**:
    - Both AutoCAD and SolidWorks offer **free trial periods** (typically 30 days). While limited, these can help you practice and determine if you want to purchase later.

3. **Maker or Hobbyist Versions**:
    - **SolidWorks for Makers** is available at a reduced cost for hobbyists, creators, and independent learners.
    - **Fusion 360**, another Autodesk product, is available for free to hobbyists, startups, and makers with a personal use license. It has some overlap in functionality with AutoCAD and SolidWorks.

4. **Employer or Community College Access**:
    - If you’re preparing for a job and have access to a community college, they often have these programs in their labs, where you can access them for free or at a reduced rate through enrollment.
    - If you’re already working or have industry contacts, some employers or organizations might offer access to these software tools as part of their in-house training.

5. **Freemium or Open Source Alternatives**:
    - While not exact replicas, some **open-source or freemium CAD programs** (like FreeCAD for solid modeling or LibreCAD for 2D drafting) can help you develop skills that translate to professional tools.

Exploring these options should give you access to the software at a reduced or free rate to build your skills for the job market!

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Actually just asked ChatGPT this:

I don’t have paid access to Solidworks, AutoCAD, and Civil.

I need to use those programs to hone my skills for the job market.

Is there any way to access those programs for free or at a reduced price?

And it responded with:

Here are some ways you can access SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and Civil 3D for free or at a reduced price:

1. **Educational Licenses**:
    - Many CAD software companies, including AutoCAD and SolidWorks, offer free or heavily discounted licenses to students, educators, and educational institutions. If you're currently a student or can register for an online course that provides student credentials, you might qualify for a free version.
    - **SolidWorks** offers a free Student Design Kit or a discounted Student Edition for eligible students. You can check their website for details.
    - **AutoCAD** and other Autodesk products, including Civil 3D, provide free access to students and educators through the **Autodesk Education Plan**.

2. **Trial Versions**:
    - Both AutoCAD and SolidWorks offer **free trial periods** (typically 30 days). While limited, these can help you practice and determine if you want to purchase later.

3. **Maker or Hobbyist Versions**:
    - **SolidWorks for Makers** is available at a reduced cost for hobbyists, creators, and independent learners.
    - **Fusion 360**, another Autodesk product, is available for free to hobbyists, startups, and makers with a personal use license. It has some overlap in functionality with AutoCAD and SolidWorks.

4. **Employer or Community College Access**:
    - If you’re preparing for a job and have access to a community college, they often have these programs in their labs, where you can access them for free or at a reduced rate through enrollment.
    - If you’re already working or have industry contacts, some employers or organizations might offer access to these software tools as part of their in-house training.

5. **Freemium or Open Source Alternatives**:
    - While not exact replicas, some **open-source or freemium CAD programs** (like FreeCAD for solid modeling or LibreCAD for 2D drafting) can help you develop skills that translate to professional tools.

Exploring these options should give you access to the software at a reduced or free rate to build your skills for the job market!
    I hadn't thought about just finding out the lab schedule at school and going there when it's available. Hmm, well there's a thought. Thank you man I appreciate that.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Hell, I went to school on the GI Bill and I'm not convinced it was worth it... Been looking for a job in design technology for a month now and everywhere wants years of experience even for entry level positions. It's miserable. Thankfully I have a decent enough job to hold me over but man, my meager skills are wasting away because the programs I learned are closing in on a grand if i want to buy them to practice.
    Is drafting still a thing? Like, a career with a future? Sorry if that comes across wrong. I worked in the field for a little over 10 years and during that time I had my fair share of colleagues in civil/structural and a lot of the work was outsourced overseas. Granted that was 10 years ago when i left the field. I was mainly working with AutoCAD, but wanted to get into SDS2.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why not get a degree? when the government forgives you student loan and get a $200,000 job
    Do you realize that is not reality but for a minuscule number of people? 25 years ago I used to enjoy asking my servers where they had gone to college it was a game for me. Now it is so pathetic I can’t bear to ask…

wail us smucks that didn't get a degree and get $80,00 a year pay for it.
    This part is true, but it is more likely paying off a Starbucks barista’s student loans…

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Back in the early 80s I said if you set up a business making and selling sheepskins and transcripts you could make a fortune. The fake ones have just as much value to employers as the real ones.

Top Bottom