Majority Of Americans Say College Not Worth Cost…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Too many hear how their parents and grandparents "had it easy" and think it's impossible and/or just give up. There are plenty of people who do just fine. Yes, the economy sucks and things are harder, but that doesn't mean you can't get ahead and be successful. If I had it to do all over again (and had some skill) I'd go the trades. Plenty of work, good salary and you make or fix something, which has to be pretty darn satisfying.
    I believe it's due in part to folks waiting to have kids. The kids didn't "see" the struggle first hand. The actual starter home, living on beans and rice, working two jobs, etc.
    I bet these individuals started their own businesses. You can make a good living with the trades and as an employee, You can’t make millions that way…… you have to start and run a business and grow it.
    I know many folks who started in the trades and then branched out on their own. They don't have millions like the folks I spoke of earlier, but I'd bet they still are "millionaires" by definition and living a very comfortable life.

But yes, business owners. Working to make themselves rich vs making "the man" rich...and as I say that I am still making "the man" rich...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I believe it's due in part to folks waiting to have kids. The kids didn't "see" the struggle first hand. The actual starter home, living on beans and rice, working two jobs, etc.

This is it exactly. They were bombarded with messaging saying that if they only went to college, they would get out with a degree leading to a job making $$$ and they wouldn't need to struggle. That's, for the most part, a lie. Most people had to struggle at least somewhat when starting out. I rented a bedroom from a friend of a friend when I first got out on my own, until I would afford a place of my own. Then it was a dump of an apartment until I could afford a house. The whole time I was working 2 or more jobs while going to IvyTech part time. College did help me get into IT, but that was a long time ago and also a commuter campus that wasn't infected with too much nonsense.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Being a private in the Army sucked making like $700.00 a month. Then you work hard and get promoted and you can retire at 20 years and still have time for a 2nd career. Some retire at 38 years old.

Pension check the rest of your life
    Tricare for life that covers your family as well

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Being a private in the Army sucked making like $700.00 a month. Then you work hard and get promoted and you can retire at 20 years and still have time for a 2nd career. Some retire at 38 years old.

Pension check the rest of your life
    Tricare for life that covers your family as well
    As an Airmen Basic I only made $360 a month. Man, I’m old… Yes, it’s great to have that Pension check and TFL.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Both sons got degrees, one has a Masters and one an undergrad in Information Systems Management. The one with the Masters did 8 years in the USMC and used the time to get his undergrad while a Marine...and finished his Masters with GI bill money. The ISM undergrad worked for an employer that paid for most, and he paid the rest out of his pocket. They both have great jobs in their fields, and earn six figures, they own homes, they have wife and kids and they are Gen Xers.

I think higher education is good but you have to go into it with the eye on the marketability of your training. Don't expect a degree in social work to pay well...you'll incur massive debt for a job that's not appreciated, and underpaid.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Both sons got degrees, one has a Masters and one an undergrad in Information Systems Management. The one with the Masters did 8 years in the USMC and used the time to get his undergrad while a Marine...and finished his Masters with GI bill money. The ISM undergrad worked for an employer that paid for most, and he paid the rest out of his pocket. They both have great jobs in their fields, and earn six figures, they own homes, they have wife and kids and they are Gen Xers.

I think higher education is good but you have to go into it with the eye on the marketability of your training. Don't expect a degree in social work to pay well...you'll incur massive debt for a job that's not appreciated, and underpaid.

Exactly. Guidance counselors should be looking at job trends and pushing students into areas that fit with what the market wants. Instead we get many people getting degrees in women's studies and useless garbage like that.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Exactly. Guidance counselors should be looking at job trends and pushing students into areas that fit with what the market wants. Instead we get many people getting degrees in women's studies and useless garbage like that.
    I had an idea many years ago, it went like this.

Federal Dept of Labor would examine job needs to best suit the national economy, infrastructure, and technology needs of the next 10-20 years. They would publish this list annually.

They would then publish a list of degree programs eligible for federally guaranteed student loans that year.

Don't hate me but degrees in the arts, humanities, religion, and a few others should NOT be financed by the taxpayers.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had an idea many years ago, it went like this.

Federal Dept of Labor would examine job needs to best suit the national economy, infrastructure, and technology needs of the next 10-20 years. They would publish this list annually.

They would then publish a list of degree programs eligible for federally guaranteed student loans that year.

Don't hate me but degrees in the arts, humanities, religion, and a few others should NOT be financed by the taxpayers.

Agreed.

My Dad and I always talked about something similar. Instead of the constant welfare state, the fed and state governments would partner with local industry to provide job training that could put people directly to work, for things that were actually in demand.

I always thought it was BS that Intel kept saying they couldn't hire Americans for specific jobs because they didn't have training in some obscure something or other and therefore they needed to bring in foreigners. My feeling was that Intel makes millions or billions of dollars a year and therefore it would benefit them to work with colleges to help train Americans for those specific needs.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Agreed.

My Dad and I always talked about something similar. Instead of the constant welfare state, the fed and state governments would partner with local industry to provide job training that could put people directly to work, for things that were actually in demand.

I always thought it was BS that Intel kept saying they couldn't hire Americans for specific jobs because they didn't have training in some obscure something or other and therefore they needed to bring in foreigners. My feeling was that Intel makes millions or billions of dollars a year and therefore it would benefit them to work with colleges to help train Americans for those specific needs.
    The problem can be solved with two approaches:
    1) Lawfare — most state schools are land-grant, and in their charter state “established for providing benefit in agriculture and industry to the surrounding area”. Challenge the school on that wording, otherwise rewoke the grant.
    2) financial— stop federal backing of student loans. Make the schools be the lenders — BS degrees will disappear overnight

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    At least there is a bill to start a conversation of cutting the blank check to universities…

This is the issue I have with our government. They're gonna swoop in now to fix it? Now?

As if this is some new revelation that our society couldn't possibly have figured out before this point? These ****ing morons knowingly, willingly and eagerly participated in this system to get it to where it is. Trillions in tax dollars transferred to academia and several generations indoctrinated to believing ******** like boys can be girls and that the government knows best.

They convinced us that educating our youth was the only way to keep this country dominant (a valid argument). Once that was established they quietly changed the definition of the word education and here we are.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is the issue I have with our government. They're gonna swoop in now to fix it? Now?

As if this is some new revelation that our society couldn't possibly have figured out before this point? These ****ing morons knowingly, willingly and eagerly participated in this system to get it to where it is. Trillions in tax dollars transferred to academia and several generations indoctrinated to believing ******** like boys can be girls and that the government knows best.

They convinced us that educating our youth was the only way to keep this country dominant (a valid argument). Once that was established they quietly changed the definition of the word education and here we are.
    Unfortunately this follows the pattern of human behavior. Grandparents fought WWII and built a great society, it took a long time and a lot of rot to get to where we are today that enough people have concerns that even a few of our elected representatives are acknowledging and filing bills to correct the course.

Ever watch the crowd in the aftermath of a shooting or other tragic event? It takes a long time to accept that something bad is happening. Thirty years ago you and I knew that there was rot in the education system and have been trying to get others to see it all that time but for many this is a revelation…

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Hell, I went to school on the GI Bill and I'm not convinced it was worth it... Been looking for a job in design technology for a month now and everywhere wants years of experience even for entry level positions. It's miserable. Thankfully I have a decent enough job to hold me over but man, my meager skills are wasting away because the programs I learned are closing in on a grand if i want to buy them to practice.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Hell, I went to school on the GI Bill and I'm not convinced it was worth it... Been looking for a job in design technology for a month now and everywhere wants years of experience even for entry level positions. It's miserable. Thankfully I have a decent enough job to hold me over but man, my meager skills are wasting away because the programs I learned are closing in on a grand if i want to buy them to practice.
    What programs? There’s usually cheaper, or free, open source or alternative programs you can use.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    What programs? There’s usually cheaper, or free, open source or alternative programs you can use.
    Solidworks, AutoCAD, and Civil. I have Inventor (and I like it, I make useful items when the opportunity comes up) and Fusion, but I'd feel more comfortable continuing to learn on the program I learned instead of an alternative. Especially AutoCAD since that's the one I have the least experience in.

The functions are largely the same but tool locations, toolbar customization, and subtle nuances throw me when I try new programs.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Solidworks, AutoCAD, and Civil. I have Inventor (and I like it, I make useful items when the opportunity comes up) and Fusion, but I'd feel more comfortable continuing to learn on the program I learned instead of an alternative. Especially AutoCAD since that's the one I have the least experience in.

The functions are largely the same but tool locations, toolbar customization, and subtle nuances throw me when I try new programs.

Using ChatGPT would probably be helpful for you in this situation.

You could ask it something like:

I’m using program X and I need to know how to do Y function like I would in AutoCAD.

How do I do that on program X?

Top Bottom