• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I try to clean my guns after I go to the range. Usually do not run home and do it right away. Just whenever I get around to it. Exception to this are the rimfires. The 10/22 doesn't get cleaned after every trip. I like to keep the fingerprints, oil and such wiped off my carry guns. Yes they need proper lubrication and cleaning. No a quality firearm will not fail if you shoot 100 rounds and don't clean it the same night.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    It's a Taurus 24/7 in a .40 Caliber round.

Just be careful of the gun cleaner(s) you buy. Before you purchase any can or bottle of gun cleaner, read the label to see if it will damage plastic guns. There are some that say that on the label or ask a salesperson to be sure. I like the bore snakes, M-Pro 7 gun cleaner (not a oil), a good gun oil, patchers (get the big bag as you will go thru them) , assorted bore brushes (I like the tornado brushes the best),gunslick foaming bore cleaner, and a silicone gun cloth to keep the slide rust free. Just buy what you need to keep your pistol clean and like holsters, try new products as you go to see what you like.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I oil all of my handguns before each range session and I clean and oil them after each one. As a rule of thumb I clean my carry gun about once every month whether I've used it or not.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I clean mine immediately after shooting, but I'm trying to get away from going all G.I. on them. I make sure there's no big, ugly residue in the barrel, but I usually use plastic brushes instead of bronze and I don't spend hours on it any more... I report to myself these days, so I'm not worried about buffing the company area if I put my pinky in the chamber and it comes out a little dirtier than it went in. So unless your spouse is going to inspect your weapon and smoke you if it's not IG clean, just make sure it's reliable and get on with your life. :twocents:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    For me cleaning is just as much fun as shooting. I clean mine immediately after returning from the range. My carry weapon changes with my clothing and temperature changes. So at the very least it is cleaned when a drastic change in clothing occurs. Saturday is clean and light lube day for the carry weapon.

Cleaning is a simple task. Carrying is a complicated task. Don't make it any tougher by having a dirty weapon that may result in a malfunction.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just as an FYI, I just went thru a Multi-day training class and fired just over 2000 rounds thru my M&P 9mm. I intentionally did not clean it each day just to see how it worked when it got very dirty. No failure to fire issues, no jams, no issues. I did notice that the slide was not moving as easily as normal, which I would think is expected. But pleased to see it will fire when very dirty.

Experiment over, not it gets cleaned after the range trips.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    After each range trip I field strip my pistols and give them a good cleaning. Also gives me a chance to look for anything out of place or broken. My carry gun I clean more often. Because of lent and such. I just do not want to trust my life with a dirty gun. Unless it's an AK :D

Although I agree that range time and cleaning my firearms is a religious experience, I wouldn't quite put it in my calendar. :)::)::):
    Just ribbin' ya a little Patriot. Hope ya don't mind.

On a serious note; New pistol-Clean and lube it BEFORE putting the first round downrange. One, it will help you familiarize yourself with the workings of the individual pistol. Two, you need to remove all the manufacturers shipment grease. It can hamper the function, maybe dangerously.

After that, I like to get them reaaaalll dirty just so I know with each one exactly how far it can go. How reliable it is going to be for me down the line if I am in a situation where I have to prioritize my time. Ex: my GF's PK380 started having FTE's and FTF's after about 250 rds. I know that it needs a good breakdown and cleaning in the 150 to 200 range now.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I clean my guns whenever the voices tell me to. Wifey was out of town last weekend, and I actually told her that's what and why when she called me and asked what I was doing. She didn't find it anywhere near as amusing as I did. Of course, she works for Meridian services now... so....

Top Bottom