• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So, just picked up my first handgun this week and wanted people's input on maintenance and upkeep. How often do people clean their guns, replace firing pins, and any other maintenance tips would be most appreciated. Thanks guys

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I give my Glock 26 a quick wipe down and re lube after each range trip. I take it down and wipe it out every 3 weeks or so to remove any fuzz/lint that may have acquired since it is my daily carry piece.

Replacing parts? I don't see myself doing this unless something breaks.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What did you get?

If it's a semi-auto, recoil springs should be replaced every x number of rounds or so (with x varying a bit based on what you have).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Carry gun? General cleanup (wipe and bore snake) after each range trip, and I'll do a quick scrub if I notice it is dirty (lint and such). I'll tear it down a couple of times a year, maybe. If I suspect something is broken, I'll look at replacement parts.

The other guns: What is this cleaning thing you speak of? If I notice they are dirty, or if I'm bored, then maybe. Most guns can go hundreds of rounds between cleanings, and many thousands of rounds before repairs.

I've noticed that VERY light oiling does fine for lube, and doesn't attract that much gunk. I keep a can of compressed air in the range bag, and just blow out lint/sand/grit when I notice it.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Since its your line of defense weapon at your house, I suggest cleaning it after every trip to the range. Should you need it to defend your life, you dont really want it to FTF because you didnt bother to clean if after a few trips to the range

My:twocents:

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For my carry gun I do a quick bore clean and wipe it down. Real cleaning about one every other month. Next week I' be doing a handgun course and putting over 2500 rounds through it. As a test I plan to not clean it during this multi-day event. I seriously do not expect any issues. (M&P 9mm)

Precision rifles and handguns get a full cleaning after each use.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Don't go the the range very often, so may just wait until the 1500 to pick up a good cleaning kit. Suggestions to look at? I have seen some that come with like 42 pieces to help clean a gun out which seems nice but maybe a little bit of an overkill?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    What is this cleaning of which you speak? I shoot Glocks. I reload Glocks. I shoot Glocks. I reload Glocks. I shoot Glocks. I feel sad that I have run out of ammo and go home.

One word: Boresnake. It will change your life. :D (For rifles, why would you clean a Glock?)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I picked up a bore snake and a lube-impregnated cloth (can't remember the brand), and then found an inexpensive "all guns" kit that will do everything from my shotguns, to rifles, to handguns. Add some CLP and gun oil, and I'm out less than $75 and can clean anything I have and might buy in the near future. Unless you shoot pretty often, it will take you a LONG time to use up the patches, cleaner, and lube.

If you don't intend to every get another gun, a smaller caliber-specific cleaning kit is a bit less.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What is this cleaning of which you speak? I shoot Glocks. I reload Glocks. I shoot Glocks. I reload Glocks. I shoot Glocks. I feel sad that I have run out of ammo and go home.

One word: Boresnake. It will change your life. :D (For rifles, why would you clean a Glock?)

Sounds like a Dixie cup. Do they come in a handy dispenser?

picture.php

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    After each range trip I field strip my pistols and give them a good cleaning. Also gives me a chance to look for anything out of place or broken. My carry gun I clean more often. Because of lent and such. I just do not want to trust my life with a dirty gun. Unless it's an AK :D

Top Bottom