• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I am unfortunate enough to require a couple of "maintenance" medications as I lost my Thyroid some time ago. Have any of you figured out how to deal with this type of concern when prepping for SHTF?

I didn't find any posts on this using the search function, but if I missed something, sorry!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) Stock up
    B) Learn the shelf-life of your meds and rotate as needed
    C) Looks for SHTF alternatives (diet, alt. meds, homeopathic stuff)
    D) In some cases, there is no real long term fix, so you have to plan for failing health over time.

Search for SHTF Medication to turn up a few other threads on this topic.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    A) Stock up
    B) Learn the shelf-life of your meds and rotate as needed
    C) Looks for SHTF alternatives (diet, alt. meds, homeopathic stuff)
    D) In some cases, there is no real long term fix, so you have to plan for failing health over time.

Search for SHTF Medication to turn up a few other threads on this topic.

Thanks...
    A) Can't always buy in excess unfortunately.
    B) Got it.
    C) Have picked up a couple of homeopathic and natural medicine manuals in the hopes of finding some answers. (good idea, thanks)
    D) Yeah, I was afraid of that...:tinfoil:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A few other tricks I've heard:
    - Some insurance plans and pharmacies will allow you to bulk-buy prescriptions. Not exactly the same as "stocking up", but at least you would have more than a few weeks on hand.
    - refill as early as possible, so you can slowly build up a small stock
    - ask about a different dosage. For instance, if your "real" script is 2 pills a day, but your doc will write for 3 a day, you can slowly build stock. Don't ask me about the legalities of any of this. I have absolutely no idea.
    - Some doctors fully understand the preparedness thing. Might be worth bringing it up to see what advice they have.

They fact that you are thinking ahead at all give you a leg up on 90% of the population! I know tons of folks that would be SOL in less than a week without visiting a pharmacy.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Can't always buy in excess unfortunately.

Depending what you need (you said thyroid, so probably either T3/Cytomel or T4/Synthroid/Armour), you can sometimes get some of those things as "research chemicals". They're typically suspended in a syrup. Figure out the dosage you need and get syringes for measuring, then take them orally.

They're not supposed to be for human consumption, but it's a liability issue and not a legal one. They're completely legal to purchase in that format.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    A few other tricks I've heard:
    - Some insurance plans and pharmacies will allow you to bulk-buy prescriptions. Not exactly the same as "stocking up", but at least you would have more than a few weeks on hand.
    - refill as early as possible, so you can slowly build up a small stock
    - ask about a different dosage. For instance, if your "real" script is 2 pills a day, but your doc will write for 3 a day, you can slowly build stock. Don't ask me about the legalities of any of this. I have absolutely no idea.
    - Some doctors fully understand the preparedness thing. Might be worth bringing it up to see what advice they have.

They fact that you are thinking ahead at all give you a leg up on 90% of the population! I know tons of folks that would be SOL in less than a week without visiting a pharmacy.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Here are a couple of links to articles on other sites that may, or may not, be helpful.

The Oil Age | Peak Oil | LATOC • Desiccated thyroid extract after SHTF : Health and Medicine

http://www.shtfmovement.com/prep-the-week/topic7932.html

I need thyroid medication every day

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville

King Matthew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Tipton
    Great thread. I have a 5 year old t1 diabetic and it is a constant worry if something major were to happen how I would be able to keep him healthy

Top Bottom