• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    6 + 1 in the well. We also spend practice time reloading the mags. Its always a good idea to practice as a team. An empty mag will be of no use. I like to shoot 3 rounds while the kids reload mags and then we switch duties.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My rule of thumb is 10 per rifle and 6 per handgun for any typical owner. So if you have 3 AR15s then you want no less than 30 magazines.

Many more if you are a competitor.

Realize that magazines are not built as well as the gun, they will fail. You need extras.

Minimum of 10 mags per weapon. 4 loaded and 6 to rotate in at 6 month intervals.

Rotating the magazines actually wears out the springs. Springs don't wear when compressed. Springs don't wear when relaxed. Springs wear when they are used. If you do this then you need to have extra spring kits on hand.

I have 16 for my rifle... planning on getting about 5 to 15 more when and if I can find them... I chose a vz.58 as my primary rifle, great rifle, but hard to find mags for. :dunno:
    Astoundingly great rifle. :yesway:

FWIW, I have 24 magazines for mine simply because they are hard to find. :) When something is scarce you need to double or triple your supply of extras.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I guess I am light, 7 total for each main rifle, and 3 total for each pistol, and just what's in the backup piece. Ammo to reload backup, but no extra mags.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If shtf then on my person there would be no less than 10, 30 round AR mags if I was expecting trouble. That's very heavy so that's like a combat load out.
    As far as how many mags I would own, at least 100 in different places.
    As a truck gun I'd have 6 mags ready to sling over me

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Minimum of 10 per rifle/pistol

Maximum - you can never have too many

I'd go with this. I think I have somewhere around 40 30rd mags for 2 rifles. However, up until yesterday that was for 3 rifles.

Having more allows you to keep some unloaded to rotate them, even thought that's probably not necessary.

Top Bottom