• LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Magpul Bad Lever and BCM Gunfighter CH?

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Seems like a cool idea. I have been toying with adding both to my M4. I did read some opinions though that the BAD lever can lead to sloppy/bad habits and that it can alter the functionality of the bolt catch.

Last edited:

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I had one, and it worked well. Never inhibited the bolt catch for me. Me being left handed, I'd just thumb the bolt closed after inserting the mag and it worked very well. It took me awhile to use it because of my habits I developed on systems without it, but if I every get another AR (have AK now) I will put it on there.

That being said, it was kinda sloppy and wiggled around. Didn't bother me much but some do not like it.

GUNFIGHTER01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    laporte
    I personally love the bad lever! I have had one on my AR for over a year and have fired a couple of thousand rounds thru mine and it has made my mag changes much faster and I have not had any problems with my gun or the bad lever.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I just added one a few weeks ago and have not been to the range yet, but have been running some drills with it. So far I like it a lot and have to assume that it will make mag changes faster. I've always hated having to hit the bolt release with my hand after the mag change while my firing hand sits idol. We'll see when I'm actually at the range, but I'm pretty optimistic.

My BCM gunfighter should arrive before the end of the week also, I've used tac latches in the past and I definitely prefer having one. These are both "value add" products in my book.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I have one on my S&W M&P 15-22 and I like it.

I had to modify the trigger guard with a dremmel to get it to fit but overall its an improvement in the ease of function of my rifle.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Keep in mind that the BAD Lever is one piece of kit that will actually alter the way you operate your rifle (versus some add-ons that simply enhance comfort or functionality). Because of this, you will need to "re-train" with it.

The ability to not only send the bolt home with your dominant hand, but to also lock it to the rear during malf clearances is a big plus. Because of this I run one.

But let me give you a real-life example of one negative aspect. During a "training day" with shooter521 and troy_mp, I was using shooter521's SBR lower with my 10.5" upper. His lower did not have a BAD Lever.

During a speed reload I fumbled the draw. When I was finally able to fully seat the magazine, my trigger finger went to sweep the non-existent BAD Lever. When it didn't find the lever it hit the first thing it rested on-- the mag release. Down to the deck went the magazine. :facepalm: Further fail ensued when I bent down and retrieved the magazines, versus resupplying from my bandoleer.

I humbly submit. . .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8vM9Kr8E8[/ame]

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    what the heck, i just continued this monster splurge of tactical AR gear that I have no real use for. :)

Still on the fence about the Gunfighter CH though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    what the heck, i just continued this monster splurge of tactical AR gear that I have no real use for. :)

Still on the fence about the Gunfighter CH though.

Don't be; they are an excellent piece of kit. I'd put one of those in before I'd do a BAD lever.

I'm not yet sold on the BAD. Actually, what I'm not yet sold on is buying 5 more of them so all my rifles operate the same... it would be far cheaper to just get rid of the one currently I have. :):

Further fail ensued when I bent down and retrieved the magazines, versus resupplying from my bandoleer.

To be fair, you didn't have another mag in your bandoleer. What you should have done was transition to your sidearm... but you didn't have one of those, either! :facepalm:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    MarK, I'm starting to think you're a bad influence. :)

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable on all things AR, which GF CH would you go with? I'm thinking medium.....I am concerned the Large will be too big and bulky.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Don't be; they are an excellent piece of kit. I'd put one of those in before I'd do a BAD lever.

This. The Gunfighter is a fantastic and worthwhile replacement. Hold one side-by-side with a milspec CH and the differences are immediately apparent.

What you should have done was transition to your sidearm... but you didn't have one of those, either! :facepalm:

Check the video again. . . . . I did have it. :xmad:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    MarK, I'm starting to think you're a bad influence. :)

I didn't warn you? Mark is totally to blame for my BRD. :D

which GF CH would you go with? I'm thinking medium.....I am concerned the Large will be too big and bulky.

I'm no shooter521 ;), but he's going to recommend the medium, and I agree. :yesway:

The large is good for scoped rifles where the CH is difficult to access.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    IndianaJoe has one on his Spikes. I like the idea, but do not know if I'll ever get one. I was trained to use the bolt release, and that's what I know.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    BAD levers are also nice if your left arm is slung up and you're reloading with your right. Reaching over the top of the rifle or operating the charging handle break your position more than necessary.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I put the BAD Lever on my 9mm AR and love it. It seems to be more of a natural transition than using the bolt release. I need to get one for my .223 really soon.

Top Bottom