• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The article references non-ferric metals having problems with creep under constant load. This would explain why some SS mag springs DO have problems with fatigue/creep, as 300 series stainless steels are non-ferric (non-magnetic). That explains why SS springs do fatigue more quickly (in my experiences).

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    The article references non-ferric metals having problems with creep under constant load. This would explain why some SS mag springs DO have problems with fatigue/creep, as 300 series stainless steels are non-ferric (non-magnetic). That explains why SS springs do fatigue more quickly (in my experiences).

When the article in the OP says "Non-Ferric" he means non-iron based materials like copper. You are confusing Ferric with Ferritic. Ferric means that a material is iron based where Ferritic is a specialized type of some iron based steels. 300 series stainless steels are not ferritic, they are austenitic. That means that they are not magnetic, but they are "Ferric" because all steels are iron based. For the sake of this discussion, steels will not show any appreciable creep in the lifetime of the spring under normal conditions. Likewise, they will show no appreciable fatigue in their lifetime unless they are stretched past their elastic limits which is not possible under normal circumstances.

I doubt that a 300 series stainless steel would be used in magazine springs, although it is possible. 300 series steels are known to be very good at corrosion resistance, but have relatively low strength compared to other steels. There are other more common "spring steels" which would probably be used.

Top Bottom