• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    How do you guys feel about mag disconnects? I see a lot of people hate the idea of it, but why? Thanks for helping out a noob. :n00b:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Magazine disconnects are marketed more towards law enforcement. The theory is that if an officer is ever in a fight over control of his gun he can drop the mag rendering his gun inoperable so the bad guy can't shoot him with it.

However, IMO there is really no point to them (especially for civilians). Like jd4320t said if you inadvertently drop your mag you can't even fire the one in your chamber. Also, I don't like them because it's just one more thing that mechanically can go wrong with your gun, and on some guns they can even negatively effect the trigger pull (browning hi-power, etc.)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I hate the damn things. I've done 2 things to my Buckmark. Replaced the front sight with a fiber optic, and took the mag safety out. And I've taken them out of 4 others. Ruger MKIIIs and 22/45s are a PITA because of them. It's a shame that a Hi Power has one from the factory.

Like warning lables and locks on handguns, it's one more lawyer addition that I can't stand.

The most important safety is your brain, plain and simple.

If for some reason your mag gets released the last thing you want is to not be able to pull the trigger too.

:yesway:

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I took it out of my SR9. I don't really see the need for it. Also if I decide to practice dry firing without a mag in, the mag disconnect would damage the firing pin.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Despise them, along with "Hillary Holes," and all the other alleged "safeties" manufacturers hang on guns.

Manual safeties on handguns--other than those on 1911-type designs--are in the same category. They are rationalized in many, highly quesitonable ways, including the claim that LEOs need them. Right. Just like LEOs needed all the numerous extenal safeties on revolvers for about 100 years until semi-autos became the only fashion.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I recently purchased a Ruger 22/45 Lite and I hate the mag disconnect. I am told that it is the reason that the magazines will not drop free. I am looking into removing it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not crazy about them.
    I've got one .22 that has the disconnect, but it's just for plinking so it's not that big of a deal. I'd never have that feature in a carry gun.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Not crazy about them.
    I've got one .22 that has the disconnect, but it's just for plinking so it's not that big of a deal. I'd never have that feature in a carry gun.

The only pistol I have with a mag disconnect is my GSG 1911 .22, I've dealt with it for this long but I think I am going to remove it. Seems like every time i shoot it I go to let the hammer down after I remove my last empty mag and nothing. Can't pull the trigger to let the hammer down, have to stick one of the empty mags back in. Like you said not the end of the world but if I can remove it easily it's gonna go.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I absolutely detest mag safeties. I recently got a great deal on a gun and it had a mag safety on it. By the way, the seller didn't know it had one either, as neither of us ever experienced a mad safety on that particular gun. Anyway, it was out of my safe in less than a week and I'm on the hunt for another one, but with NO SAFETIES.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i have a M&P .45, i was blessed with the mag safety. i am so happy that i have one.
    for those of you who have a M&P without the mag safety already know, that the ones without have" WARNING, This weapon is capable of firing without the Magazine inserted." engraved and painted white on the right side of the weapon. it is hideous.
    i am happy cause i am going to remove this worthless not a safety and i wont have that writing on my pistol.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How do you guys feel about mag disconnects? I see a lot of people hate the idea of it, but why? Thanks for helping out a noob

Everyone is a noob.

1. Magazine safeties complicate the weapon making trigger break an involved process, making it "mushy". One of the great things you can do to improve a P-35 is to remove the mag safety.

2. Magazine safeties delude people into thinking the weapon is "safe". Eez gon, eez not safe. It's a snake, nothing safe, treat it as such.

3. Magazine safeties do not work. One of the first things done at Gunsite is to make a weapon with a magazine safety and make it shoot without the magazine in it. Ken Campbell at the BCSD demonstrates this in his classes as well (Sheriff Campbell is an Associate Professor of Gunology at Gunsite).

4. Magazine safeties can work making the weapon less deadly if you lose the magazine. I've seen it with my own eyes, guy draws on charging pit bull, magazine falls from weapon. Pistol now becomes club.

I want a deadly weapon, not a safe weapon but I want it to be deadly at the right time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not a fan of mag safeties and removed it from my FM Hi Power. I have a PPK/S that has one, but I have not figured out whether or not I can remove it. I think there's a simple way to remove one from a Bersa 380, but I have not tried to do that yet.

As mentioned above,
    - they add another point of failure to a weapon
    - they screw the trigger feel up
    - they eliminate the ability to shoot if the mag is out

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Everyone is a noob.

1. Magazine safeties complicate the weapon making trigger break an involved process, making it "mushy". One of the great things you can do to improve a P-35 is to remove the mag safety.

2. Magazine safeties delude people into thinking the weapon is "safe". Eez gon, eez not safe. It's a snake, nothing safe, treat it as such.

3. Magazine safeties do not work. One of the first things done at Gunsite is to make a weapon with a magazine safety and make it shoot without the magazine in it. Ken Campbell at the BCSD demonstrates this in his classes as well (Sheriff Campbell is an Associate Professor of Gunology at Gunsite).

4. Magazine safeties can work making the weapon less deadly if you lose the magazine. I've seen it with my own eyes, guy draws on charging pit bull, magazine falls from weapon. Pistol now becomes club.

I want a deadly weapon, not a safe weapon but I want it to be deadly at the right time.

:rockwoot: Well said. Took the magazine safety disconnect out of my ruger 22/45 for all the reasons noted and it was fun too! I love how the magazine flies out the bottom when I press the mag release button.

Top Bottom