• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    Seems like every time I try to improve my guns, even simple upgrades, something goes wrong, the gun gets screwed up, or I'm just out a bunch of money. Ive had bad cerekote jobs, shotgun beads installed off center, scope mounts out of spec, and now I'm SOL with my Smith Enterprise parts for my M1A. It's one of those days that makes me wonder why I stay in this hobby...but I will. Anyone else have days like this?

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Kinda. Years ago I sent my CZ40B in to Ashley's Big Dot to fit their prototype big dot sights on my gun. They kept it about a month and sent it back to me, and I got free big dots for letting them borrow the gun to test fit.

I sold it not too long after that. The big dot was too big, IMO, and I couldn't hit crap with it much past bayonet range after that.

I haven't done much modification of my own guns, though I'm going to try and put a new trigger in my SAR-1 when it comes in from Midway. Some things are best left to the professionals, and for me electricity and gun-smithing are way up on that list of "some things".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been blessed with an understanding of machinery. I can not leave anything alone. For this reason I am learning how to do all of the work myself except for any really serious machine work and I have some highly skilled friends for those things I can not do.
    I have had the most Bravo Sierra trigger work done by incompetent posers. Extractors installed that worked worse than the worn out pieces. No more. There are a few ingo members I trust but outside of that....No more.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just assume the flaw is always mine. Saves me a ton of cash. Keeps me humble.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    What's the story there?

I've got a scout that I replaced the gas lock and flash hider with a Vortex, Gas Lock Front Sight (18" model with the taller deck), and national match front sight. I have bottomed out the elevation adjustments and she still shoots 6" high at 25yds. Called SEI, Ron Smith said he's never had that problem and all my parts are in spec and set up correctly. Called Springfield Armory and they said try the original tall front sight. Did that and it gets me sighted in with three clicks of elevation at 100yds.

Been on the M14 board, no help. Springfield said it is in their specs as long as it can be zeroed at 100yds. The rub is that something isn't right, but I can't figure out what it is.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I stabbed myself under the finger nail with an AK trigger spring and snapped a dremel bit today and immediately thought of this thread. It gets better. Right? RIGHT??

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have a Marlin 25 .22LR that I have had for 20+ years. A while back I decided to add sling studs since it didnt have one. I also decided to take it down completely and detail clean it. While it was apart, I carefully drilled small holes for the studs to go in and then put it back together. When I went to add the studs I realized I drilled the buttstock hole on the top instead of the bottom :ugh:

So, I now have a Marlin with a whole on top!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yep, been there done that! But I learned that there are some things I just need to leave alone and let those that know what they are doing take care of. The hardest part for me is admitting defeat and letting someone else do it. But I can't afford to replace parts or guns so if I can't do it safely I just leave it alone. I am pretty good at wood refinishing and doing smaller polishing jobs though. ;)

Btw... I've swapped flash hiders and sights on several M1As/M1s and have never had an issue like yours. Try measuring your front sights and then comparing the measurements to others listed. Maybe your sight is out of spec. :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been lucky (so far - knock wood) in that I haven't screwed anything up TOO badly. What I like is when I've taken something apart, and start trying to put it back together, having forgotten completely how I got it apart, and all of a sudden it "magically" goes back together... leaving me just as clueless as I was before. It's at that point that I just say "Whew!" and leave it alone... :):

Top Bottom