• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    New machine could one day replace anesthesiologists - The Washington Post

Interesting concept. We need to accept that the era of medicine is changing. It's absurd to claim that a machine could replace a doctor. It can perform some of the functions the doctor performs, but "replace" is silly. I sedate my own patients for procedures using the dreaded propofol...

i also scoff at the $150 charge. Ain't nothing $150 in a procedure that involves a machine. I would love to see the line item claiming $150. My wife's PCA was nearly $1000 and she never used it after a c-section.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I could imagine the liability insurance for that one.
    that would play really well in court

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Johnson & Johnson....won approval by agreeing to have an anesthesiology doctor or nurse on-call in case of emergencies

Oh, that'll solve everything. Who gets sued when the patient has an idiosyncratic reaction to an anesthetic agent, goes hypotensive and gorks (a technical term) before the "on call" anesthesiologist gets there and up to speed? I would guess the surgeon.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems like I saw a headline not too long ago about IBM's Watson was being brought to bear in healthcare. I can't say to what degree though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Replace? Not never but not soon. Hybridization? Soon. Competent human + competent machine = better results than either alone. Computers will never be doctors, cops, etc until they can learn to detect lies.

Doctors, how many people lie to you every day about their diet, exercise, sexual encounters, vice habits, etc and if you believed them how often would it affect the treatment for the worse?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Replace? Not never but not soon. Hybridization? Soon. Competent human + competent machine = better results than either alone. Computers will never be doctors, cops, etc until they can learn to detect lies.

Doctors, how many people lie to you every day about their diet, exercise, sexual encounters, vice habits, etc and if you believed them how often would it affect the treatment for the worse?

I'm allergic to everything except demerol :dunno:

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi

Mechanical and procedural safeguard. ... yes.
    Total replacement. ... no

Work with these types of things daily

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I remember because my wife loved the show but Dr. House said everybody lies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Hybridization would be key. We are forced to use computers so much it's getting absurd. Now that everything is digital we have to time stamp everything and they can get a billion metrics and then complain that eight of them are too slow and we need to speed up, by forcing us to document more :xmad:

"Legal zoom" reference... That explains all the out of work lawyers I see holding signs on the off ramps :):

Top Bottom